WOT in Firefox

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Madmogone
Level 2
Level 2

WOT in Firefox

Post by Madmogone »

HI all, not sure if this is the correct place for this question or whether it will be allowed, I found out yesterday that the ( WEB OF TRUST) add on in firefox has been found to be selling on all details of users to third party companies and I was wondering what other users are using to check their websites ?. I look forward to any replies,Cheers all.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: WOT in Firefox

Post by deepakdeshp »

There are many references about WOT stealing data on the net, best is to remove it.

Thanks for getting this to the attention of users.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

It was from the beginning doubtful, if WOT is worth to use at all. It relied on user's data, very easy to spoof. Better: use your common sense.
inkoalawetrust
Level 2
Level 2

Post by inkoalawetrust »

deepakdeshp wrote:Thanks for getting this to the attention of users.
its literally all over the place
if you think you have a bad computer then think that someone has a worse one.
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

I've never heard of this.

Can someone please elaborate on what exactly WOT is, what it does or suppose to do and how to remove it from FF, please?
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Read here.

Do you have WOT installed at all? It is not present by default. Open the add-on Manager in Firefox, there you can remove it easily.
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

:). thanks.
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/IceCat

Good side to check Firefox add-ons. Good selection of extensions. No junk!

:mrgreen: Any Mac users: I have downloaded & installed IceCat on OSX 10.7 - it is fast & works like a charm...
mtj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mtj »

I removed it when I heard that. The only extensions I still use are HTTPS Everywhere, NoScript and uBlock Origin :wink:
Max
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 64bit
Joss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Joss »

Sad story this WOT affair.
I also uninstalled it. Had been using it for years and still feel a bit naked without it.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You were naked with it (but you didn't feel so).
Linuxfarmer

Post by Linuxfarmer »

Using 'Self destructing cookies' and 'Ublock Origin' as replace since months. WOT was good at the beginning, but sooner become a censorship tool where groups of interest hail sites down for personal and political correctness reasons. Especially in today fake news war, a tool like WOT bring this war onto your computer.
Enjoy a free web as long this is possible :D
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Post by millpond »

I have found WOT to be useful, but it will obviously have alot of false positives, especially on sites with hacking or politically debatable subjects.

I always assume ALL 'free' sites will try to sell metadata. Unless a guy is running a server in his bedroom, hosting sites for reasonably popular pages cost a couple thousand per year.

Best to use a VPN and evven then keep all sensitive information off your main machines. If you require things like personal banking, or have material you really dont want the world to see, put that data on a second machine that is ONLY turned on when needed. Or otherwise inaccessible, such as a VM.

WOT comes in handy when looking for innocuous information such as recipes, and health info - which often are booger traps. WOT will generally give a warning f other users ran into problems with them.

Just make sure you are able to bypass it if venturing into the realms of the DarkWeb and <violates forum rules>...
Xmetalfanx

Post by Xmetalfanx »

I had my own site (free domains) get red flagged a few times because ONE other DOMAIN (say blahblah.webhost.com) was doing something illegal so EVERYTHING.webhost.com gets red flagged. Even though that is just me I had a few other hiccups YEARS ago with WOT and I just got sick of it.

I rather just use common sense online and perhaps noscript if i was still a firefox user ... .or any addon by Gorhill ... https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock like Ublock Origins (He's the original developer)
MontleyHour

Post by MontleyHour »

FIrefox and Chrome on their own have good enough built in protection that dangerous sites (outside of maybe Phishing sites) will be picked up and warned to you beforehand thereby eliminating the need for WOT. Shame that it all went down that way though.
HubertCumberdale

Post by HubertCumberdale »

I used to use WOT too, but uninstalled it when I learnt it was selling users' web browsing data.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOT_Servi ... acy_issues

It's meant to have cleaned up its act, but I won't be reinstalling it. Once bitten, twice shy.

If you install the uBlock Origin add-on in Firefox, Chrome, Chromium or Opera, then that will block ads (including malicious ones), trackers and malware (make sure you select "Disable pre-fetching" in the uBlock Origin settings).
sindyciaray

Post by sindyciaray »

Enjoy the web as long as it can be, Well I still use are HTTPS Everywhere, NoScript and uBlock Origin
HubertCumberdale

Post by HubertCumberdale »

sindyciaray wrote:Enjoy the web as long as it can be, Well I still use are HTTPS Everywhere, NoScript and uBlock Origin
Yeah, I use the same (and other extensions like Self-Destructing Cookies) in Firefox for general web browsing, but those extensions play havoc with any website you need to log into or interact with in any way. So I also use Chromium in which I only have uBlock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere installed (and even then it can be a bit of a pain getting sites to work properly).

Very rarely I just deactivate uBlock Origin completely, because I simply can't work out which requests (often hidden) need to be allowed or blocked to get a webpage to display properly.
Afterwards I delete all the HTML cookies, HTML5/DOM cookies, Cache, Site Preferences, etc using BleachBit. (Yeah I know some people advise against using BleachBit on Linux, but as far as browser stuff is concerned I'm fine with it).

As for enjoying the web as long as possible, well you're probably spot on there.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”