Mint 18.1 KDE

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caliban

Mint 18.1 KDE

Post by caliban »

I have just upgraded to Mint 18.1 KDE from Mint 18 KDE, smooth trouble free,
Previous to this I tried KDE Neon as I thought Mint was not going to have an 18.1 KDE, Neon was full of bugs, so I wiped it and waited, thankfully Mint 18.1 KDE arrived.
Such a beautiful stable and well designed Operating system, the best yet. I know this is a questions section but just had to acknowledge how good KDE 18.1 is. It is the best to woo Windows users over to Linux. I use it with Netbeans to do Java programming and Codeblocks for C++. I have used Mint for years using it to teach programming in the local Polytechnic and used it with JPPF (Java Parallel Programming Framework) to set up a parallel cluster of 8 machines. Note Dell is producing a laptop with Ubuntu preload, I know you have a linux mint box with preloaded Mint. needs a laptop manufacturer to support Mint preload to increase its already high level of popularity. Students are unaware of anything but Windows because of forced preload at purchase, I have always rated Acer computers but they do not support Linux on their machines which is very sad I intend to write to Acer on this very topic, don't hold out much hope of any useful reply. High time manufacturers supported easy installation of Mint in their machines and supported warranties with it in place of Windows. When I purchased my current Acer Aspire iv laptop at Noel Leemings in Tauranga Bay of Plenty New Zealand I said I would remove Windows and Install Mint KDE, the staff were horrified and almost refused to sell me the machine, I was speechless. I proceeded of course to do exactly that. What troubles me is the lock out of all OS except Windows when this lock out goes to chip level then what, chips that only work with Windows. What happens next time I try to buy a more modern Laptop and wish to remove Windows and Install Mint.
Be useful to read other opinions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mint 18.1 KDE

Post by BG405 »

caliban wrote:I have always rated Acer computers but they do not support Linux on their machines which is very sad I intend to write to Acer on this very topic, don't hold out much hope of any useful reply.
I love my Acer Aspire One, it's a fantastic little machine. Needs a new battery but I get round this by plugging in at the pubs and bars I visit, when I can sit near enough a socket - still get a couple of hours on battery which is usually OK. No issues at all running LM17.3 KDE and should be fine with LM18.x KDE too.

But, as you said, not the case with the newer Acers with UEFI and, on the cheaper ones, the eMMC junk.
caliban wrote:High time manufacturers supported easy installation of Mint in their machines and supported warranties with it in place of Windows.
I really don't see how they can refuse warranty service in case of hardware issues. The software you use is exactly that - software and shouldn't be considered as a part of the hardware for warranty purposes, in my opinion. Don't these outfits have access to preloaded Windows hard drives for testing purposes? I know I would, if needed.

Changing software - including the OS - should be considered an expectation, not an exception, with many owners. Would downgrading from Win7 to Win10 also void the warranty? After all, in this case, it's not what the machine was supplied with!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

BG405 wrote:Would downgrading from Win7 to Win10 ...
Most likely a typo, but a good one. 8)
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

:mrgreen: Not a typo :lol:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Agreed not a typo. In any way, shape, or form. "Hey we can upgrade that appendix job to a full frontal lobotomy! for free!".
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

It is highly doubtful that the newest processor and motherboard sets will not have Linux compatibility. Windows/Microsoft's share of server software is very small. While personal computers make up a good portion of the hardware sales, without servers what good is a personal computer? Portable devices now have a greater market share than desktop or laptop computers. Think about it like this, the processors used in devices like cellphones and media boxes do not use a Windows based OS but run with a UNIX/Linux based OS.

https://news.netcraft.com/
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

I would not speak to soon on the issue of os locking chips. The Silicon revolution is about to end. The chip making process cannot get much smaller before the laws pf physics simply do not apply anymore. This is going to lead to a second computer revolution known as quantum computing. With the way the government lets companies patent things like the human genome and at the same time cannot stop any form of piracy, I have no doubt the next gen hardware will try to constrain the digital sector. It should still fall under the burglar and burglar alarm scenario. Anything that is created can be destroyed or bypassed in a fraction of the time.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”