Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
AlfaGirl
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AlfaGirl » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:37 pm

This may seem silly to some of you but ive never posted an avatar photo before :oops: . I would like to find a picture of an Alfa car and have it as my avatar, can anyone direct me to a site i can use and explain how i put it on here? Thank you. Plus i hope ive put the question in the right topic :lol:
Last edited by xenopeek on Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved here as this isn't about Linux Mint specifically

richyrich
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Avatar Pictures

Postby richyrich » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:49 pm

You will notice in the User Control Panel - Edit Avatar (Profile tab), that you must follow size/dimensions for your avatar.
Maximum dimensions; width: 120 pixels, height: 120 pixels, file size: 6.00 KiB.

Suggestion:
1) Find your fave Alpha picture, download it to your computer. Then use Gimp or other graphics program to shrink the picture, and save/export as a jpg image.
2) Use an external photo hosting website to upload your image. (Photobucket, Imagur, Postimg, or other that you prefer), Save the link to the picture on your computer.
3) Login to the mint forums, go to the Control Panel, Edit Avatar (Profile tab), and paste in the link to your image file.

:)
Last edited by richyrich on Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlfaGirl
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AlfaGirl » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:50 pm

Thank you Richyrich i will try that again

MintyO
Level 4
Level 4

Postby MintyO » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:52 pm

Here's a topic, where you'll see many options for hosting avatars: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=226149. Be sure to read the topic title also! :wink:
Ducks on the edge sleep with one eye open.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Postby xenopeek » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:53 pm

The avatar image must be no larger than 120 pixels high by 120 pixels wide and the file size must be 6 KB or smaller. You can upload it to a website like https://imgur.com/. After uploading right-click the image in your web browser and select "copy image link" or "view image" and then copy the address from your browser's address bar. That link is the one to use here on the forums.

As for finding an image you like, use your favorite search engine and limit it to search for images and pick an image you like. With Google Image Search you can also limit search results to specific image dimensions. If you find an image you like but its dimensions exceed the above limits you can crop and/or scale it down. I'm comfortable with using GIMP for this (which is installed by default on Linux Mint) but you can use other image editing programs or even do it online. To crop an image in GIMP use the rectangle selection tool to select the area of the image you want to keep. Then from the Image menu select Crop to Selection. To further shrink the image select Scale Image from the Image menu and set the desired new size in pixels (px unit). Once it is what you want export it as a PNG image and upload it to an image sharing website as mentioned above.

MintBean
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MintBean » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:31 pm

Pretty sure this site is capable of taking any reasonable sized image and automatically resizes them for you.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”