LM Forums Avatar Disappearing Act <SOLVED>

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gtsfer

LM Forums Avatar Disappearing Act <SOLVED>

Post by gtsfer »

Been away from the forums about a year so I'm trying to create a new Avatar on my LM forums profile. Problem: It won't "keep". Here's an example below but I've tried a few GIFs and a couple of JPEGs as well. This one is 97 x 120 and is 5.4 kb in size. The forums accepts the silly thing. And it works for a while. But it seems that every time I log off and back in again later, the sucker just disappears. I even waited overnight one time to see if it made any difference.

The settings and link for it are still in my profile on inspection. I even deleted about 20 old bookmarked topics just to clean up my account some. I am using Photobucket. I know that's ancient. Is that perhaps the problem, with the hosting web site for the pics? I've done this 10 times now and it just pulled a vanishing act on me again. Thanks in advance... :lol:
Evil_Tux_Penguin_a.JPG
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LM Forums Avatar Disappearing Act

Post by xenopeek »

Use a better image host, like https://imgur.com/. After uploading your image right-click it there and select "copy image link" (or "view image" and then copy the address from your browser's address bar). That link is the one to use here on the forums.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I think that photobucket is part of the problem and might be limiting bandwidth on free accounts. I had the same thing happen when I had an avatar hosted at photobucket so I just quit using an avatar
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

I suspected that, thanks to both of you guys. I was wondering if my LM dues were behind or something. 8)
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: LM Forums Avatar Disappearing Act <SOLVED>

Post by roblm »

I just switched my avatar about a week ago and am now using imgur.com. I posted a short video on Photobucket several years ago but when I recently tried to play it, nothing happened.

Hey, I noticed that you've switched to the Dark Side. :)
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

roblm wrote:I just switched my avatar about a week ago and am now using imgur.com. I posted a short video on Photobucket several years ago but when I recently tried to play it, nothing happened.

Hey, I noticed that you've switched to the Dark Side. :)
If you mean to KDE yes, I switched over some time ago. That's funny, they used to tell me LMDE was the "dark side" back in the day. Seems like I always pick the wrong team.... :lol:
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

No, I meant by looking at your new avatar. :twisted:
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

roblm wrote:No, I meant by looking at your new avatar. :twisted:
LOL, I picked the first one handy, just made an account at Imgur. I guess that's called Darth Tux. :lol:

Return to “Non-technical Questions”