[SOLVED] Manufacturer affirms that cannot release Linux driver due to copyright. How is that possible?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sfrusciante
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Manufacturer affirms that cannot release Linux driver due to copyright. How is that possible?

Post by sfrusciante »

Hi

I contacted Sony support for my VAIO laptop and when I asked why drivers for Linux are missing on their website, they answered that they cannot put them online due to copyright restrictions.

How is that possible?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I got a crazy number of people to disappoint. -me
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Manufacturer affirms that cannot release Linux driver due to copyright. How is that possible?

Post by jimallyn »

It could be that the drivers weren't written by Sony, and the license agreement with whoever actually wrote them doesn't allow them to share the drivers. Or it could be that Sony management insists that everything be tied up with copyrights. Or maybe that's just Sony's way of telling you that they don't care whether they get your business or not. Is there a specific bit of hardware that you need drivers for? Video system? Network? ??
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
sfrusciante
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Manufacturer affirms that cannot release Linux driver due to copyright. How is that possible?

Post by sfrusciante »

jimallyn wrote:It could be that the drivers weren't written by Sony, and the license agreement with whoever actually wrote them doesn't allow them to share the drivers. Or it could be that Sony management insists that everything be tied up with copyrights. Or maybe that's just Sony's way of telling you that they don't care whether they get your business or not. Is there a specific bit of hardware that you need drivers for? Video system? Network? ??
No, my laptop runs pretty good, except for the terrible battery life... I asked them beacuse I was able to see the whole set of drivers for every components on their website, but none of them was for LInux, and I asked why. If you ask me, the answer is always the same: manufacturers don't care about Linux at all, because of its very minor user quote.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Most of the time Manufacturers simply do not want to let their proprietary code out free. They see it as a money making endeavor and want to control all aspects of the code- or copy write it and retain ownership - if it's released as linux under GPL anyone can use it without paying them a cent. and anyone could incorporate their code into there own without penalty. In order to maintain their copy write status they can not allow that. Not everyone believes in open source software :( and from my standpoint Sony is one of the worst at this.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Well, welcome to Linux. That was entirely normal.

The firmware/driver stuff they're talking about is proprietary and closed source. Linux is mainly open source, though browsers have to have closed source components to play DRM content. Which is why chrome works with netflix but the open source version (chromium) doesn't.

And if the makers of the peripherals don't want to release their source code, you won't get the drivers.

But that doesn't mean there aren't drivers, and you usually can still configure the open source setup. Copy/paste this into the terminal and copy/paste the text output back here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Remember, Linux drivers don't work the same way as Windows ones do. For one thing, don't install anything that isn't for your Mint release. And stay away from the Linux drivers on mfr's sites in general. They rarely work. I'm fully aware how ridiculous that sounds to Windows users but it's true.

The funny thing about all that for me is the video card in my netbook. It's the infamous Intel Cedarview gpu, one of a few that they outsourced to PowerVR. They absolutely refuse to release the source code, so 3D hardware acceleration isn't possible and probably neever will be. Fortunately, it's a netbook to kick around ... I don't use it to watch video on. And I knew what I was getting into. I've seen linux beginners on forums who had that gpu and expected to be able to watch high bit rate 1080p video.

But the funny part is that it's a rubbish video card in Windows too. One of the worst.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
sfrusciante
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sfrusciante »

I'm aware that was normal, I just wanted to know why, and thank you.

I'm not having any particular problem with my laptop - set aside from battery life.

Anyway:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: marco-VAIO Kernel: 4.4.0-72-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.2) Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Machine:   System: Sony product: VPCS12V9E v: C104H357
           Mobo: Sony model: VAIO Bios: INSYDE v: R1160Q3 date: 09/30/2010
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5 M 520 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9575
           clock speeds: max: 2400 MHz 1: 1199 MHz 2: 1333 MHz 3: 1999 MHz 4: 1199 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218M [GeForce 310M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1366x768@59.95hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 310M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.102 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-72-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet
           driver: atl1c v: 1.0.1.1-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (42.1% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK5065GS size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 455G used: 193G (45%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.15GB used: 0.04GB (1%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 46.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:49C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 188 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 1285.9/3816.3MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.461) inxi: 2.2.35 
ColdBoot

Re: [SOLVED] Manufacturer affirms that cannot release Linux driver due to copyright. How is that possible?

Post by ColdBoot »

Somewhat OT,

I think you'll be much better off in terms of battery life, if you switch to some lightweight desktop - Xfce or even better, Lxde. Next, have you checked the battery lately? I'll remind you that they lose capacity over time and after many cycles. If you don't know how, you'll find some useful info here.
sfrusciante
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] Manufacturer affirms that cannot release Linux driver due to copyright. How is that possible?

Post by sfrusciante »

OT/
ColdBoot wrote:Somewhat OT,

I think you'll be much better off in terms of battery life, if you switch to some lightweight desktop - Xfce or even better, Lxde. Next, have you checked the battery lately? I'll remind you that they lose capacity over time and after many cycles. If you don't know how, you'll find some useful info here.
I know that my battery is quite deteriorated.

Still, the laptop consumes too much energy, especially CPU and the related fan. Perhaps you know how to check if Intel drivers are installed and functioning?

/OT
ColdBoot

Post by ColdBoot »

sfrusciante wrote:OT/
I know that my battery is quite deteriorated.

Still, the laptop consumes too much energy, especially CPU and the related fan. Perhaps you know how to check if Intel drivers are installed and functioning?

/OT
Well, if your battery's capacity has dwindled to 40-50% or more, it's clear why you have the impression that the CPU uses too much juice. No drivers can solve this no matter how good they may be at what they do. And fans may need cleaning...

Edit: besides, it appears that thermald is preinstalled in Serena (probably running in zero configuration mode) and doing everything possible to lower consumption to a minimum. A newer version came as an update today, although I don't think that your processor is supported.
eddier

Post by eddier »

Is the Laptop very old? Does it need a clean out of the heatsink/fan assembly? If you dont want to disassemble to access same then get a can of compressed air and blast it through the fan outlet with a Vacuum held against the inlet slots/holes.
sfrusciante
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sfrusciante »

eddier wrote:Is the Laptop very old? Does it need a clean out of the heatsink/fan assembly? If you dont want to disassemble to access same then get a can of compressed air and blast it through the fan outlet with a Vacuum held against the inlet slots/holes.
I opened and cleaned my laptop many times. It's totally clean on the inside. My guess is that it's a hardware-related problem, with the CPU producing too much heat.

Still, under Windows 7, the behaviour is exactly the same if not worse, so I think it's confirmed it's not related to the OS the laptop is running.

Thanks to all of you for the answers.
helterskelter

Post by helterskelter »

The drivers probably contain elements of proprietary code from Microsoft. Thats one of the reasons they are shunned by many.Its a disgusting practice and a very short sighted decision by Sony.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Hoser Rob wrote:

Remember, Linux drivers don't work the same way as Windows ones do. For one thing, don't install anything that isn't for your Mint release. And stay away from the Linux drivers on mfr's sites in general. They rarely work. I'm fully aware how ridiculous that sounds to Windows users but it's true.

I wish I had read this before I installed a generic WiFi printer driver on my "good laptop",
now it won't boot, and I can't get it to read the external USB DVD anymore so that I can reformat the hard drive.

The referred laptop is the one in my Signature, it is a brick until I figure something out.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
brvcf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by brvcf »

So what if they don't want to provide open source drivers? They could still provide proprietary drivers that a user can download and install.

Not all software for Linux has to be free open source and available in some FOSS repository. The end user has a choice as to whether to install non-open source packages.

I think it's a cop-out by Sony and they just don't want to be bothered.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "sfrusciante",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Although you probably need a new laptop battery and you cannot install Sony's proprietary drivers, there are some good options that you might consider in these links below.

7 Simple Tips to Improve Your Linux Laptop’s Battery Life
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/easily-inc ... tlp-linux/

8 Simple Ways to Improve Battery Life on Linux Laptops
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/04/impr ... life-linux

How to Maximize Your Linux Laptop’s Battery Life, March 11th, 2017
https://www.howtogeek.com/55185/how-to- ... ux-laptop/

Browser options too ...
Opera's Power Saving Mode Cuts Battery Drain for Longer Laptop Browsing
https://lifehacker.com/operas-power-sav ... 1776276324

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
sfrusciante
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sfrusciante »

Thank you all for the answers.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”