what makes xfce lightweight?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Thane of Fife
Level 1
Level 1

what makes xfce lightweight?

Postby Thane of Fife » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:02 am

As from this thread, I had to switch from Cinnamon to Xfce because of freezing issues.

I'm curious - what is it that makes Xfce lightweight? It seems as rich and feature packed as cinnamon does - and in fact, I like it better!

It doesn't seem lightweight at all, very robust.

So what is it that makes this lightweight and what are the differences? Thank you.

all41
Level 11
Level 11

Re: what makes xfce lightweight?

Postby all41 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:20 am

My perception is:
XFCE has a reputation for using less resources than other desktops. However there is nothing light weight regarding the capabilities of this desktop
and it has has earned respect among many accelerated users. Do not equate this de to only 'limited hardware' as many profess.
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

jimallyn
Level 16
Level 16

Postby jimallyn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:59 am

I know Cinnamon requires 3D graphics acceleration; XFCE doesn't. XFCE needs much less RAM to run than Cinnamon does. On my main desktop computer, I use Cinnamon, but I have a couple of older laptops and XFCE works great on them. I am considering moving my desktop to XFCE when I upgrade to 18.x.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

all41
Level 11
Level 11

Postby all41 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:11 am

XFCE needs much less RAM to run than Cinnamon does.

Rather superficial difference in ram requirements among Mint DE--let me find the thread detailing this for Rosa and I will post back those results.
As I remember not more than a hundred megabytes or so though

lmintnewb2

Postby lmintnewb2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:14 am

More depends, more being loaded into ram, more processes being fired up to support whatever features one of those big-boy DE's provide. Thus higher mem usage, higher cpu overhead. More disk i/o etc.

Less avail free ram/cpu, obviously means heavier workload on the pc. Thus more sluggish. By way of example, have openbox as my default xsession, total number of processes is 123 and 144mbs-ram, also have a really stripped down xfce on the system, total processes running in it when checking output of the top cmd is 141 and 186mbs-ram.

Basically the more bling, bling higher the system overhead and the more muscle a system needs to deal with the load. Having said that, every gnu/linux gui can be tweaked.

The stats gnome and kde pull ootb can be dramatically reduced by disabling resource hogging services, unused features and/or removing packages and keeping things more minimal. That also applies to xfce or just about anything else. Many people have many features/services they don't need-use wasting system resources thus bogging them down to whatever extent and of course the impact is most noticeable on lower spec hardware.

jimallyn
Level 16
Level 16

Postby jimallyn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:22 am

all41 wrote:Rather superficial difference in ram requirements among Mint DE

I ran some tests on a laptop I was preparing for a friend. Cinnamon used 730 MB of RAM with no applications running; 1.1 GB or RAM with Firefox running. MATE used 514 MB of RAM with no applications running; 895 MB of RAM with Firefox running. XFCE used 303 MB of RAM with no applications running; 680 MB of RAM with Firefox running. All of these figures are from running "Live" and not installed on the hard drive. I didn't test KDE.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

all41
Level 11
Level 11

Postby all41 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:26 pm

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=191870&hilit=+lighter#p994189
Older than I remembered. This is the 17.1 main edition desktops each in a freshly installed state.

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Citizen229 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:56 pm

for extra snappiness. https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=233694&p=1242605&hilit=xfce#p1242605

from the link:
Re: XFCE: Has anyone ever stripped it down further.

Postby richyrich » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:58 pm
Here's a few . . :)
Turn off Compositing in the Window Manager Tweaks program.
Disable autostart programs that are not needed in the Application Autostart tab of the Session & Startup program.
Disable Gnome & KDE services in the Advanced tab of the Session & Startup program.
Change from MDM(html) to GDM login screens using the Login Window program.

I did the first 2 only I got mine to 144 megs at boot.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
More GPU's needed!

lmintnewb2

Postby lmintnewb2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:38 am

Thanks for sharing those stats Jimallyn.

Thought since they were toram, might be heavier then an actual install, fired up lmde2 64bit cinnamon from a multiboot usb and nope free -m output was 349mbs. Which is within a hair of what it was ootb bare metal on this laptop.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”