Un-install? Or impossible?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Peyiks

Un-install? Or impossible?

Post by Peyiks »

I'm not happy with my installation choices with Mint Cinnamon 18.1.... so how do I UN-install it? Completely remove it, so I can study it better on live disc and decide partition setup later? :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Un-install? Or impossible?

Post by jimallyn »

You don't have to uninstall it, just boot from the install DVD again and delete the partitions it uses. Or install something else over the top of it. Oh, if you also have Windows on that computer, you'll probably want to run one of the utilities to restore the Windows boot system.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Doruletz »

Peyiks wrote:I'm not happy with my installation choices with Mint Cinnamon 18.1.... so how do I UN-install it? Completely remove it, so I can study it better on live disc and decide partition setup later? :?
The best and safest way, and the ONLY WAY that I always do that is this:

1. Use either Acronis Home or DBAN to do a deep delete of your hard drive(s) and/or SSD(s).
2. Boot from live disc (USB or DVD/CD), partition your drive(s) as follows:
Create 3 partitions if you only have a single drive in your system.
First partition, type EXT4 of at least 20-25GB for your Linux system files mounted as "/" (aka the ROOT PARTITION)
Second partition of 2GB (2048MB) type Linux swap for your system swap
Third partition, the remainder of the drive, type EXT4 for your home folder (personal data files) mounted as "/home"

If you have more than one drive in your system, use the fastest one (an SSD preferably) for your ROOT PARTITION and use the other one for both swap and HOME.
You can add a 3rd, 4th, etc, formated EXT4 and mounted as "/media/ANY-NAME-YOU-WANT-TO-GIVE-IT"
For example, I have 3 storage hard drives, which I mounted as:
"/media/3TB-Linux-Storage"
"/media/5TB-Linux-Storage"
and "/media/6TB-Linux-Storage"

Complete the install and enjoy. Good luck!

NOTE: A partition name CANNOT contain any blanks (keyboard spacebar character) in the name.
5TB Linux Storage would be incorrect, it needs to be 5TB-Linux-Storage or 5TBLinuxStorage or 5TB_Linux_Storage
Last edited by Doruletz on Sat May 27, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What do I think about Window$??? Just take a look at my AVATAR...
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Do you have any other OS on the hard drive? Windows?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Doruletz »

austin.texas wrote:Do you have any other OS on the hard drive? Windows?
Good question, "austin.texas". I completely forgot that there are still people out there that use Window$ for whatever reason...

Things will obviously change a lot if that's the case...
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Doruletz wrote:The best and safest way, and the ONLY WAY that I always do that is this:

1. Use either Acronis Home or DBAN to do a deep delete of your hard drive(s) and/or SSD(s).
If OP were planning to sell or discard computer I'd agree with this -- zero out drive or overwrite with random data using DBAN first so random person can't recover data on it. But, in this case OP is keeping drive, so a simple delete of partition(s) or new install re-formatting them will suffice.
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Doruletz »

gold_finger wrote:
Doruletz wrote:The best and safest way, and the ONLY WAY that I always do that is this:

If OP were planning to sell or discard computer I'd agree with this -- zero out drive or overwrite with random data using DBAN first so random person can't recover data on it. But, in this case OP is keeping drive, so a simple delete of partition(s) or new install re-formatting them will suffice.
Yes, it will.
However, I always do it, at least on the system drive. Which is an SSD, and takes just about 15-20 minutes to wipe off. It gives me peace of mind knowing that nothing (good or bad) survives from the older install. I'm talking about things like rootkits, BIOS viruses and self-cloning viruses or malware. I guess you can call it Microsoft PTSD. :lol:
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

@Doruletz re: "NOTE: A partition name CANNOT contain any blanks (keyboard spacebar character) in the name." Yes it can. So can a file-system label. It's in the same set as... "file names cannot contain ? characters" (yes they can) ...and... "file names cannot start with a - character" (yes they can). Life is easier if they don't, but that's just a policy.
rebelyell72

Post by rebelyell72 »

Doruletz wrote:
gold_finger wrote:

Yes, it will.
However, I always do it, at least on the system drive. Which is an SSD, and takes just about 15-20 minutes to wipe off. It gives me peace of mind knowing that nothing (good or bad) survives from the older install. I'm talking about things like rootkits, BIOS viruses and self-cloning viruses or malware. I guess you can call it Microsoft PTSD. :lol:

i would love to steel your avatar if it would stretch out to fit the grub loader screen :mrgreen:
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

A vast suppository indeed...coarse fellow...http://www.fotolog.com/y_quesecreee/12655759/
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Doruletz »

rebelyell72 wrote:i would love to steel your avatar if it would stretch out to fit the grub loader screen :mrgreen:
Here you go, buddy, this is the full sized wallpaper version that I used to crop out my avatar from.
The size is 1024 x 768, excellent for a grub loader background.
Enjoy.

https://image.ibb.co/mUb9sa/1024x768_Pisson_Windows.jpg
or
http://s483.removed/user/AlphaRomeoEcho ... s.jpg.html

rebelyell72

Post by rebelyell72 »

Doruletz wrote:
rebelyell72 wrote:i would love to steel your avatar if it would stretch out to fit the grub loader screen :mrgreen:
Here you go, buddy, this is the full sized wallpaper version that I used to crop out my avatar from.
The size is 1024 x 768, excellent for a grub loader background.
Enjoy.

https://image.ibb.co/mUb9sa/1024x768_Pisson_Windows.jpg
or
http://s483.removed/user/AlphaRomeoEcho ... s.jpg.html

hehee thanks man :mrgreen:
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Doruletz »

rebelyell72 wrote:hehee thanks man :mrgreen:
You're very welcome. :)
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I might use that as my desktop background on the Acer :mrgreen: if that's ok of course. It might result in a few laughs at the pub!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Non-technical Questions”