Locking of old topics

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JustJinxed

Locking of old topics

Post by JustJinxed »

So I'd like a clarification about something.

After reading the forum rules, there seems to be a little bit of a conflict or confusion on my part.

There is a post in the suggestion forum, that has nothing to do with "support" per say, that's been going on some 5 odd years now, about icon grids in cinnamon/nemo (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=115411&start=20#p995816). Yes, we all know necroing isn't a nice thing to do on forums, but for specific cases. And I feel this one which demonstrates how long it's been asked for, is one such case when it comes to outstanding suggestions. The thread itself wasn't meant to be a support issue, but it does contain alternative methods to yield the desired result; so maybe that's why it was locked?

Having it locked, I went to check the forum rules just to refresh myself, and there's really only one rule that comes close:

"Do not resurrect support topics older than 6 months, outdated information can cause issues with newer releases."

There's also several rules about searching for like topics before posting new ones, and about thread splits and merges. Having read the rules first, I figured it would be better to "necro" the thread than having a mod step in and merge my topic. Is there a rule I missed? Or is this just unspoken? Or is everything on the forum considered a "support topic" ? Or maybe there's a rule section for each sub-forum, that I'm not aware of? I just don't want to make a habit of misstepping going forward.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Locking of old topics

Post by xenopeek »

You glossed over the forum rules in the suggestions & new ideas forum:
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
The topic was started before those rules were implemented.

As to your "Has anyone even sent this upstream to nemo I wonder", did you even take a second to search? You would have found it's been implemented already and will come in Linux Mint 18.2.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”