[Solved] Linux Mint KDE vs. KDE Neon

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sadi
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Linux Mint KDE vs. KDE Neon

Post by sadi »

Can someone please sum up the differences between Linux Mint KDE and KDE Neon, if any.

All I know is that currently they are both based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, and they both offer the latest KDE packages on top of that.
So my impression is that KDE folks are actually and essentially duplicating Linux Mint KDE with only one difference:
KDE Neon offers a pure KDE look and appearance, no more no less, e.g. some extra Mint colouring, some extra Mint utilities, etc.

Is that true? And if so, what are these differences, apart from "Mint colouring"?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
o-l-d

Re: Linux Mint KDE vs. KDE Neon

Post by o-l-d »

KDE neon offers the latest Plasma releases in the User Edition (5.10.1). It is a very basic OS with very few packages installed. Kde neon User Edition LTS comes with the latest Plasma LTS version (5.8.7). Linux Mint KDE is an OS that is "more complete" and stable since it includes tools and packages not found in KDE neon User Edition or User Edition LTS. They both share the same LTS base of Ubuntu 16.04 and Mint KDE includes the Kubuntu backports for the latest LTS version of Plasma.
simonsaysthis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by simonsaysthis »

It's not just colouring. I only recently tried Mint KDE after having used various KDE distros. What is superb about Mint KDE is font rendering and consistency in how your apps appear. It also depends what you looking for. If you want to keep up with what is happening in KDE-land KDE Neon is an option. Many will disagree with me but even for that I don't buy the Neon vision. I'd rather then run the latest Plasma on current Kernels and packages as opposed to an Ubuntu LTS base. For a cutting edge KDE experience Manjaro is really amazing.

On the other hand if you are looking for the Mint experience, which is a mature, elegant and solid distro that doesn't feel like its constantly changing and throwing the risk of new problems at you, then Mint KDE is the choice. And as I said, it is certainly the most beautifully-themed Plasma desktop I've seen.
laederlappen

Post by laederlappen »

KDE neon FAQ:

What is KDE neon?

KDE neon is a rapidly updated software repository. Most users will want to use the packages built from released software which will be available soon. KDE contributors and testers can use the packages built from KDE Git. It uses the foundation of the latest Ubuntu LTS (16.04).

Is it a distro?

Not quite, it's a package archive with the latest KDE software on top of a stable base. While we have installable images, unlike full Linux distributions we're only interested in KDE software.

Is it a rolling distro?

Not quite, it's a package archive with the latest KDE software on top of a stable base. Unlike rolling distros only the KDE software will be updated continuously.

(...)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

simonsaysthis wrote:... I don't buy the Neon vision. I'd rather then run the latest Plasma on current Kernels and packages as opposed to an Ubuntu LTS base. ...
If you're using Mint KDE you are already using a Ubuntu LTS base.

As far as KDE Neon goes, I'd do the same thing I do when considering any distro. I'd look at their support site and forum first. If it doesn't look like users' prblems are being addressed, well, it's frakking useless. This is especially true for those new to Linux. You'd be very, very lucky if you didn't need the support.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
sadi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sadi »

Thank you all!

So I gather the most essential points are:

1) Both have exactly the same basis, i.e. the latest stable Ubuntu LTS release.

2) But Linux Mint KDE offers a richer collection of software and stronger user support together with a probably more reliable and stable version of KDE Plasma desktop environment (e.g. version 5.8 now), while KDE neon differs in offering the latest KDE Plasma desktop environment (e.g. version 5.10 now), probably at the expense of less stability and reliability, in addition to weaker user support.

It might be a good idea for KDE folks to showcase their latest products in this way in addition to a number of distros offering different KDE versions at their own pace, but it doesn't sound a good idea for users to choose KDE neon as their regular operating system.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

I have a laptop that I use for "long term testing" of KDE distros with KDE Neon User Edition installed. I have been using it since Plasma 5.9 and just did the usual updates/upgrades and now it is using Plasma 5.10.3. While there has been an occasional "bug" the devs at KDE are quick to patch. The "family" pc has Linux Mint 18.1 KDE installed for stability and LTS reliability.
Linux is all about freedom of choice! No one but you can determine which distro will be best for your use!
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Re: [Solved] Linux Mint KDE vs. KDE Neon

Post by mr_raider »

I'll point out that KDE neon in it's base install version is a very lean distro. It uses about 390MB of RAM.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”