Where Do I Give Feedback? [SOLVED]

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Where Do I Give Feedback? [SOLVED]

Post by rgand »

I have a driver that worked flawlessly in Mint 17.3 but has an issue in 18.1. I do have the latest driver so that's not the problem. Where do I give feedback so that could be corrected in future releases?

Thanks, RG
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.
MintBean

Re: Where Do I Give Feedback?

Post by MintBean »

What is the driver and where did it come from?
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

The driver is a printer driver downloaded from the Canon website and installed as instructed for Linux. Specifically, it's for a Canon Pixma iX6820.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Okay, here's what to do:

1) Check the driver is listed as compatible with Mint 18.2 or equivalent Ubuntu 16.04 (Ubuntu 'Xenial').
2) Wait to see if anyone else here is having issues with it. Also look and see if Ubuntu 16.04 users are having an issue (bigger user base).
3) If the driver works on Ubuntu but not mint, it may be worth reporting as a Mint bug. This is unlikely.
4) If it's not working on Ubuntu either, report it to Cannon.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

OK. thanks for that. I'll check that. Where would I report it to Mint if there is a specific problem?
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Thanks, mintbean. Much appreciated.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Where Do I Give Feedback? [SOLVED]

Post by pdc_2 »

can you tell us what issue you are having with this driver? I see it was released in 2014; if you can disclose it on the forum, it may help others
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

pdc_2 wrote:can you tell us what issue you are having with this driver? I see it was released in 2014; if you can disclose it on the forum, it may help others
Glad to do that. I have a checklist created in LibreOffice Writer that is multiple columns on a landscape legal size page. When it prints from a saved .odt, .doc, or .docx file, it prints part of it sideways at the top of the page so only the center section of the text prints. My scanner won't scan a legal document so these files are shortened a bit but the part dropped off is only blank paper and you can still see what it's doing.
Document1.jpg
If I save it as a .pdf and print it, it shrinks the whole list so it fits sideways on a legal page, still oriented 'portrait' although the document is set to 'landscape'.
Document2.jpg
I've tried every possible setting on the printer for landscape & portrait both in each print job or in printer defaults. All other Writer files, print fine but they aren't oriented 'landscape'. This file printed fine on this computer when I had mint 17.3 on it and the same driver installed.

The issue is not a corrupted file because I created a whole new document using text boxes instead of columns and the result is the same (that's the document in the photos).

I can put the file on a flash drive and print it fine on my wife's computer still with Mint 17.3 Cinnamon.

Thanks, RG
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

? LibreOffice bug

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks;

I see you have posted on Ubuntu:

so I would guess you have a different version of LibreOffice in Mint 18.2; so not only has the distro changed, but perhaps crucially, the programme the file is created in;

so several thoughts:
1) maybe you need to report this problem to the fine team at LibreOffice who work very hard to produce updates and bug fixes;
2) you could try a couple of different options for a printer driver:
2a) you could download the free version of TurboPrint; they support your Canon printer (as do Canon!!) .. http://www.turboprint.info/ they offer a free, 30 day trial now and they provide very thorough support for your very good printer http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turboprint_ ... XMA_iX6820
2b) go to the PRINTERS folder; right-click on the icon for your PRINTER: select DUPLICATE; on the duplicate, right-click and click on the CHANGE button by the MAKE & MODEL entry, ....... give it time to work ... select CANON from the list; when it loads the list, find your ix6820 listed .......... it uses gutenprint ........ click ok and leave but rename that icon some way so it is different to the Canon driver; see if it is any different ??
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

pdc_2, thanks for the suggestions. I actually have been working in in Mint 18.1 I really haven't tried it in 18.2 but do have that as a boot option and try printing in that version in case it's something that has been corrected.

The new file I made in LiberOffice was in 18.1 so I suspect that a different version of LibreOffice isn't the issue. If I can't work it out, though, I'll definitely let them know what's going on but I suspect it is the driver.

I'll try your suggestions on using a different driver. I don't have time to mess with it right now but will do so later on.

I haven't heard anything from the Ubuntu forums yet. There probably aren't a lot of people who make documents like I do so it may take a while for someone to respond.

I'll report back with any findings I have regarding TurboPrint or other things I try. I wonder if the moderators should split these recent posts off into a different thread since it is a different topic than the original question?

EDIT: I did try printing the file in Mint 18.2 but the result was still the same.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

pdc_2, I downloaded and installed the trial version of TurboPrint. It works fine. Thanks for the suggestion. I have an email in to them to see if one purchase will cover all my Linux installations. I'm also going to contact Canon about this since obviously the issue is the driver/OS compatibility.

mintbean, thanks for the help regarding this. I have yet to hear if anyone on the Ubuntu forums has the same issue. As stated above, I downloaded a different driver that works fine. I'm contacting Canon to see if they will address this issue.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”