Cannot PM

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sparhawk

Cannot PM

Post by Sparhawk »

I'm trying to PM someone. It worked fine a few days ago, but now I get the following error:

Code: Select all

Website Firewall
Back to sucuri.net
Access Denied - Sucuri Website Firewall

If you are the site owner (or you manage this site), please whitelist your IP or if you think this block is an error please open a support ticket and make sure to include the block details (displayed in the box below), so we can assist you in troubleshooting the issue.
Block details:
Your IP: 	<REDACTED>
URL: 	forums.linuxmint.com/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&action=reply&sid=<REDACTED>&p=<REDACTED>
Your Browser: 	Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu Chromium/51.0.2704.79 Chrome/51.0.2704.79 Safari/537.36
Block ID: 	RCE010
Block reason: 	Exploit attempt denied.
Time: 	Fri Aug 25 07:50:44 2017
Server ID: 	11008
© 2017 Sucuri Inc. All rights reserved.
I actually use a VPN as a matter of course. However, I disabled it and it still came up with the error. I also tried Chromium as well as Firefox, but no difference. How can I PM another user again?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cannot PM

Post by xenopeek »

I've just sent you a PM. Can you check whether you can read it without Sucuri blocking you and try and send me a reply?
Sparhawk

Post by Sparhawk »

Yes that all works. I then tried the other PM again and that failed again too. I guess something to do with the content? It's nothing outrageously weird… a bit of code I suppose.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The code included in the PM is probably the problem.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I could send you the verbatim message back in PM without problem. I have one other report of something similar odd. I'll do some more testing here.
Sparhawk

Post by Sparhawk »

xenopeek wrote:I could send you the verbatim message back in PM without problem. I have one other report of something similar odd. I'll do some more testing here.
Yes, I received it fine. Thank you for that.
Sparhawk

Post by Sparhawk »

I realised that I could troubleshoot without spamming the recipient, by using "preview" instead of "submit". I deleted bits of the message and deduced that the following minimal code is enough to trigger the false block.

Code: Select all

$(if
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Yes, confirmed from our end by JCSenar: putting $( followed by two or more letters in a PM leads to a Sucuri block. We'll see if something can be done without affecting security.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”