Security updates on linux mint.

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
revian

Re: Security updates on linux mint.

Post by revian »

Pjotr wrote:
revian wrote:I feel that this thread is not the place for such a discussion.
Well, why not? It's certainly relevant for the topic of this thread, and I'm always open for suggestions to correct errors on my site.

Furthermore, if you publicly state in this thread that my site contains bad advice (given the context of this thread, I assume on the topic of security), I think it's no more than fair that I ask you to produce proof for that. Also publicly, in this same thread.

Otherwise your prior statement would look like spreading FUD, which I'm sure wasn't your intention. :)
1) My reply was to encourage a user to do their own research rather than blindly follow the advice on a website, which is always good advice.

2) The reasoning for my reply about the "bad advice" has little to do with "Security updates on linux mint" - the topic of this thread - and could therefore be seen as hijacking a thread.

3) Your mention of "spreading FUD" shows me that you're likely more willing to dismiss my reply out-of-hand rather than accept the possibility that your website may contain incorrect information.

4) The best venue for further discussion of this matter would be via private message rather than this thread.
Last edited by revian on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

revian wrote: 1) My reply was to encourage a user to do their own research rather than blindly follow the advice on a website, which is always good advice.

2) The reasoning for my reply about the "bad advice" has little to do with "Security updates on linux mint" - the topic of this thread - and could therefore be seen as hijacking a thread.
I agree with both of these points. If someone wants to start a thread to discuss the merits and weaknesses of a website about Linux [Mint], that is fine... but in this thread, to do so would be off topic.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

revian wrote:
Pjotr wrote:
revian wrote:I feel that this thread is not the place for such a discussion.
Well, why not? It's certainly relevant for the topic of this thread, and I'm always open for suggestions to correct errors on my site.

Furthermore, if you publicly state in this thread that my site contains bad advice (given the context of this thread, I assume on the topic of security), I think it's no more than fair that I ask you to produce proof for that. Also publicly, in this same thread.

Otherwise your prior statement would look like spreading FUD, which I'm sure wasn't your intention. :)
1) My reply was to encourage a user to do their own research rather than blindly follow the advice on a website, which is always good advice.
As I already said: agreed.
revian wrote:2) The reasoning for my reply about the "bad advice" has little to do with "Security updates on linux mint" - the topic of this thread - and could therefore be seen as hijacking a thread.
That's strange, because the context of your remark indicated that the "bad advice" was security related.
revian wrote:3) Your mention of the word FUD shows me that you're likely more willing to dismiss my reply out-of-hand rather than accept the possibility that your website may contain incorrect information.
Not so. As I already said, I'm always willing to discuss improvement suggestions. And I certainly don't claim to be perfect, nor to be in possession of absolute wisdom.
revian wrote:4) The best venue for further discussion of this matter would be via private message rather than this thread.
Well, if you damage my public credibility by a public statement that my site contains bad advice, I think that statement should be discussed publicly, as well. That's no more than fair to me, in my opinion....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi revian, hi folks...pjotr has made a resonable request and answer to him IS applicable to this threat...pjotr is one of the best sources of newbie info through his easy linux site as well as his help here in the forums...i should state that there was only one "tweak" i tried that didnt work but it was not "bad" advice to blame...my experimental computer is an 10 yr old eee pc still running on its original battery pack...even with win xp its boot-up was 90 seconds or more and very sluggish with a little less than 1 gig ram with atom 1.66 ghz processor...its a piece of crap just to play with and i know it...so i did play with 2 things on it...one was swappiness, the other was zram-config...well i can say that zram slowed down my system even worse than it was already, but is that "bad" advice? NO...he states right out that zram is not exactly ready for prime time...it works for some and not for others very simply put...for me it didnt work...NO BIG DEAL...his articles are concise, to the point, and so far accurate with ALL appropriate caveat emptors included...one only needs to be thorough in their reading...by the way, the eee pc now boots with xfce in less than 60 seconds and response is quite good for what it is using all the other useful tips that were applicable to such an ancient system...so please tell us all...what did you consider "bad advice" in his columns?we are all waiting to hear it...DAMIEN
IUseLinucCusIsFree

Post by IUseLinucCusIsFree »

Well thanks for advices. Now i am sure i dont need to lool around more and stick to linux mint.

I hope 18,3 will give us this mintreport tool, and other awesome stuff.
revian

Post by revian »

IUseLinucCusIsFree wrote:Well thanks for advices. Now i am sure i dont need to lool around more and stick to linux mint.

I hope 18,3 will give us this mintreport tool, and other awesome stuff.
I've been using Linux distros for 16 years (haven't touched a Microsoft product since 2001) and Mint is the best distro I've ever used. Linux Mint 18.3 is going to be awesome! :D
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

Pjotr wrote:
revian wrote:You should always research things for yourself.
Agreed.
That site you linked has its own share of bad advice, just like most other sites..
Exactly what advice on my site do you consider to be bad?
I find it extremely trustworthy and yes I do check against other sites, as cross reference. However I state this very clearly that my advice based on my experience is that this site is the most honest of sites and one I find to be completely trustworthy and by following the advice I have saved myself a lot of wasted effort. That is this forum are the only sites that I would recommend any newbie going to.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”