Security updates on linux mint.

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IUseLinucCusIsFree

Security updates on linux mint.

Post by IUseLinucCusIsFree »

Well, first linux mint is my favourite distribution, especially the original (cinnamon) one.

But well after lurking inside internet and i found this picture.

https://i.redditmedia.com/8r5Gzj01dvj70 ... d215d9d583

Yeah, i became worried about you know, security of linux mint, of course some new nonsecurity features doesent matter but mostly about linux mint security. So i tried to search internet for anything what can confirm or reject this message. But didnt found nothing.

So someone here can enblighten mi about this meesage, is still mint team blacklisting some updates and does it negatively affect linux mint security?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
revian

Re: Security updates on linux mint.

Post by revian »

IUseLinucCusIsFree wrote:Well, first linux mint is my favourite distribution, especially the original (cinnamon) one.

But well after lurking inside internet and i found this picture.

Yeah, i became worried about you know, security of linux mint, of course some new nonsecurity features doesent matter but mostly about linux mint security. So i tried to search internet for anything what can confirm or reject this message. But didnt found nothing.

So someone here can enblighten mi about this meesage, is still mint team blacklisting some updates and does it negatively affect linux mint security?
Something for you to consider.. how old is the article you linked? I ask this because some of the information in the article is false.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

IUseLinucCusIsFree wrote:But well after lurking inside internet and i found this picture.

Bollocks.
IUseLinucCusIsFree wrote:So someone here can enblighten mi about this meesage, is still mint team blacklisting some updates and does it negatively affect linux mint security?
No and no.

This is an article that I've written about (the security of) Update Manager in Linux Mint:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20
Last edited by Pjotr on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I have to say, I'm starting to find this incredibly suspicious. There has been a rash of these 'I'm concerned over Mint security' posts by people with brand new accounts recently.
revian

Post by revian »

MintBean wrote:I have to say, I'm starting to find this incredibly suspicious. There has been a rash of these 'I'm concerned over Mint security' posts by people with brand new accounts recently.
I'm actually beginning to wonder if this is a campaign, led by some other distro, to damage the credibility of Linux Mint.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Here's the original: https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/

A Debian dev making a mountain out of a molehill, based on small fry issues that have mostly been dealt with already (Xed isn't named Xedit, 18.2 has been shifted to LightDM instead of MDM, the copyrighted multimedia stuff isn't in the ISO anymore, etc.).

It must be hard to bear, to see that a spinoff (Mint) of your upstream work (Debian) is so much more successful and popular than its upstream. :mrgreen:
IUseLinucCusIsFree

MintBean wrote:I have to say, I'm starting to find this incredibly suspicious. There has been a rash of these 'I'm concerned over Mint security' posts by people with brand new accounts recently.
Well. i think its the same reason why i asked this question. Most of people just use linux mint, because they heard from friends its a good easy to use distro, they dont even need to go to forums, just maybe want to find some information about linux mint tricks or something or learn something more about it. But sometimes someone finds copypasta like that and becomes worried and tries to find any information to confirm that. So the best way is ask on forum.

I dont want to hurt linux mint reputation or something. Especially while i never had bad experience with linux mint while other distributions dissapointed me in one way or another.
revian wrote: Something for you to consider.. how old is the article you linked? I ask this because some of the information in the article is false.
Dont know, i didnt find anything what tells me how old is this article. Just sometimes i find it when it comes to linux mint discussion on some forums.
Pjotr wrote:
IUseLinucCusIsFree wrote:But well after lurking inside internet and i found this picture.

Bollocks.
IUseLinucCusIsFree wrote:So someone here can enblighten mi about this meesage, is still mint team blacklisting some updates and does it negatively affect linux mint security?
No and no.

This is an article that I've written about (the security of) Update Manager in Linux Mint:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20
That article has bringed peace to my mind, thank you for good information.
revian

Post by revian »

Pjotr wrote:Here's the original: https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/

A Debian dev making a mountain out of a molehill, based on small fry issues that have mostly been dealt with already (Xed isn't named Xedit, 18.2 has been shifted to LightDM instead of MDM, the copyrighted multimedia stuff isn't in the ISO anymore, etc.).

It must be hard to bear, to see that a spinoff (Mint) of your upstream work (Debian) is so much more successful and popular than its upstream. :mrgreen:
Good find! Hmm.. that article is over a 1.5 years old. As you've pointed out, a lot can happen in that amount of time when it comes to technology. I wonder if Debian would be more popular if their releases didn't sit in testing for so long.
IUseLinucCusIsFree

revian wrote:

Good find! Hmm.. that article is over a 1.5 years old. As you've pointed out, a lot can happen in that amount of time when it comes to technology. I wonder if Debian would be more popular if their releases didn't sit in testing for so long.
So that means this is just an outdated article made by pissed off ubuntu dev? Well si their fault they made failure DE they are pissed off about fact mint became better "user friendly distro" or something.
revian

Post by revian »

IUseLinucCusIsFree wrote:
revian wrote:

So that means this is just an outdated article made by pissed off ubuntu dev? Well si their fault they made failure DE they are pissed off about fact mint became better "user friendly distro" or something.
It just means that the article is outdated and we can no longer rely on the information it provides. This is why I always look at the date of an article before relying on the information it contains. This recent "Linux Mint is insecure" trend is likely based on outdated articles.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I don't think for a nanaosecond that Debian is worried about Mint. Silly.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
IUseLinucCusIsFree

Hoser Rob wrote:I don't think for a nanaosecond that Debian is worried about Mint. Silly.
Debian not. Because they already have throne of server distros.

But ubuntu is worried because will be less people inside their amazon botnet
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

IUseLinucCusIsFree wrote:But ubuntu is worried because will be less people inside their amazon botnet
It wouldn't hurt to show some more respect for desktop Ubuntu, which has been generating big losses over the years for Canonical. Let's appreciate the fine free code it produces, which Mint is allowed to use as code base.
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

Must admit it is confusing when you come from Windows to Mint when you are used to having to have a load of security put on. I read many article and was totally confused until I went to here: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/Home and read things through and they cleared all the confusion up. This is well written and somewhere that every newbie or even not so newbie should head to. So I took the advice from as I know I can trust it as it helped me in other ways. However later I looked at other sites and thought Hang on these people are linked to security software applications! So like you MintBean I am very, very suspicious of any one posting about security and directing to a site that just so happens to link to a vendor ! Perhaps these posts need looking at and removing ?
revian

Post by revian »

SwanRider wrote:
Must admit it is confusing when you come from Windows to Mint when you are used to having to have a load of security put on. I read many article and was totally confused until I went to here: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/Home and read things through and they cleared all the confusion up. This is well written and somewhere that every newbie or even not so newbie should head to. So I took the advice from as I know I can trust it as it helped me in other ways. However later I looked at other sites and thought Hang on these people are linked to security software applications! So like you MintBean I am very, very suspicious of any one posting about security and directing to a site that just so happens to link to a vendor ! Perhaps these posts need looking at and removing ?
You should always research things for yourself. That site you linked has its own share of bad advice, just like most other sites.. it's good to read the man pages and learn how to read the sources.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

revian wrote:You should always research things for yourself.
Agreed.
That site you linked has its own share of bad advice, just like most other sites..
Exactly what advice on my site do you consider to be bad?
revian

Post by revian »

Pjotr wrote:
revian wrote:You should always research things for yourself.
Agreed.
That site you linked has its own share of bad advice, just like most other sites..
Exactly what advice on my site do you consider to be bad?
I feel that this thread is not the place for such a discussion.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Mint is perfectly safe and no more or less secure than Ubuntu, if (big if) you take the time to install the level 4 updates, and keep up to date in your same series kernel.

Problems start when people think they are smarter than the devs and start holding back level 4 updates and only installing 1-3 updates for months. Just check the rash of "wine broke my GUI" posts, which can all be traced back to a level 4 mesa update held back from this summer.

FYI I have been using Mint since the MGSE days, and I always apply all the updates of any level and have had no serious issues.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

revian wrote:I feel that this thread is not the place for such a discussion.
Well, why not? It's certainly relevant for the topic of this thread, and I'm always open for suggestions to correct errors on my site.

Furthermore, if you publicly state in this thread that my site contains bad advice (given the context of this thread, I assume on the topic of security), I think it's no more than fair that I ask you to produce proof for that. Also publicly, in this same thread.

Otherwise your prior statement would look like spreading FUD, which I'm sure wasn't your intention. :)
Last edited by Pjotr on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Pjotr wrote:Furthermore, if you publicly state in this thread that my site contains bad advice, I think it's no more than fair that I ask you to produce proof for that. Also publicly, in this same thread.
I agree and it's on topic as far as I'm concerned.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”