Start the name suggestions for Mint 8

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Eucalyptus
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Start the name suggestions for Mint 8

Post by Eucalyptus »

mitsuzero wrote:i wander what are u thinking.... i prefer said.... linuxmint Gloria xD... because its to used more fashion and elegance ....
Here is a quick demonstration of the power of a consistent version number. Ubuntu 7.04 means it was released in 2007 April. I can tell this even if I never used that version and I am not an expert in Ubuntu. Can you give me the name of the 2nd version of Mint and on which year was it released? And when you are done, can you tell me how much time it took you to know the answer?

One thing is true that a nice codename is much easier to remember than a number. However, because of the 6 month cycle release, the Year.Month number, in spite of being unpoetic has the power of consistency.

May be this is a pointless discussion, codename is fine and there is no need for remembering the entire release history with every names, years and version numbers. In my opinion, year-based version number is best suited for frequent and fixed timeline releases. Code name & incremental numbers are better suited for releases with longer cycle (several years or more).
mitsuzero
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mitsuzero »

and lol ..... many of the people ... use the codename of ubuntu.... (sometimes cuts the complete CN) Juanty Jackalope..... not 9.04.... LOL
Fortunes diaries Pick >>> "You have an ability to sense and know
higher truth."
||| monkey based system |||
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

Eucalyptus wrote:Here is a quick demonstration of the power of a consistent version number. Ubuntu 7.04 means it was released in 2007 April. I can tell this even if I never used that version and I am not an expert in Ubuntu. Can you give me the name of the 2nd version of Mint and on which year was it released? And when you are done, can you tell me how much time it took you to know the answer?
Mint does have a consistent version number. Mint 7 means it was the 7th major release since it's inception. I can tell this even if I never used that version and I am not an expert in Mint. Can you give me the name of Ubuntu 6.10 and how many releases came before it? And when you are done, can you tell me how much time it took you to know the answer?

^^^ Just an illustration, version numbering schemes can mean different things to different people, but all in all it doesn't really matter. The 8.04/8.10/9.04 is an odd version progression, as traditionally it would mean that 8.10 was "closer" (technically speaking about the code-base) to 8.04 than 9.04 On the other hand ubuntu's naming scheme makes sense for a time-based release, but since Mint runs on release "when it's ready" it doesn't make as much sense. Personally I always use the codenames anyway, if I'm talking to someone it's a lot easier to say jaunty introduces a new notification system than ubuntu 9.04.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
simonz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by simonz »

Here is one:

HEIDI

simonz
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

simonz: unlucky, clem has already chosen Helena according to the roadmap.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
mitsuzero
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mitsuzero »

simonz wrote:Here is one:

HEIDI

simonz
anyways is bad not to finish with A.
u choose HEIDI but TRY with HeidA
higher truth."
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's already decided - Helena -
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
mitsuzero
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mitsuzero »

Zwopper wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's already decided - Helena -
LOL i know it already... sry if dont comment this before xD
higher truth."
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

Zwopper wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's already decided - Helena -
You are not wrong. It is in fact Helena. About time for someone else to start a thread about Linux Mint 9.. We might as well just plan out all of the names in advance! :roll:
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

Kaye wrote:
You are not wrong. It is in fact Helena. About time for someone else to start a thread about Linux Mint 9.. We might as well just plan out all of the names in advance! :roll:
DONE! - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=27354 :D
GuiH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GuiH »

Helena, :D cute name;
what about Mint 9?! IIIIIIIII Isabella :lol:
:mrgreen:
timh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by timh »

GuiH wrote:what about Mint 9?! IIIIIIIII Isabella :lol:
Mint 9 Ivola :wink:
kmrdeva
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kmrdeva »

Mint 9.... hmm, Ivana?
Regards,
Kumar
- Mint7 x64 on a PC with Intel Q8400 CPU, Intel DG45ID M/Board, 8GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia 9500GT, 320GB & 1TB SATA HDDs -
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lantesh »

GuiH wrote:Helena, :D cute name;
what about Mint 9?! IIIIIIIII Isabella :lol:
Ok wow we are getting ahead of ourselves. However... I too vote for Isabella! :lol:
wb89

Post by wb89 »

+1 for Linux Mint Hula 8 lol

Helena is nice but a bit cheesy

HOW ABOUT Linux Mint Heffa 8 XD
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

sorry, you're a bit late, clem has already decided on helena, as for mint 9: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=27354

Return to “Non-technical Questions”