Shipping a laptop with preinstalled Linux Mint (with minor modifications)

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kumanna

Shipping a laptop with preinstalled Linux Mint (with minor modifications)

Post by kumanna »

Hello.

I am working with a team that is producing a low-cost laptop that will be powered by a Linux distribution. The team really likes Linux Mint and have made it work on the Cherry Trail laptop. However, the stock kernel doesn't support the sound card and wifi card. However, with additional (legally redistributable) modules, these can be made to work, but this does involve the use of a custom kernel. My questions are:

1. Do we need anyone's permission to ship preinstalled (stock) Linux Mint with our laptops?
2. Are there any issues in shipping a customized kernel with the installation?

If I need to add more details, please let me know.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Shipping a laptop with preinstalled Linux Mint (with minor modifications)

Post by xenopeek »

How will your users get security updates for the custom kernel?
kumanna

Post by kumanna »

This is something I would have to figure out. We may need to use a PPA till the time that the drivers are upstreamed to the mainline.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

This would NOT be good ad copy. Frankiy, looking amateurish.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

kumanna wrote:This is something I would have to figure out. We may need to use a PPA till the time that the drivers are upstreamed to the mainline.
A PPA is a workable solution till the needed drivers are in the kernel from Linux Mint's official repositories. You need no further permission. Thanks for the quick response and for doing a laptop with Linux Mint :) We're proud to see more laptop selection choices on the horizon!

You can do this all easily with an OEM install. See these instructions for OEM install process of Linux Mint: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... t/oem.html. During step 4 you would add the PPA with the custom kernel and upgrade the kernel. Finally perform step 5. The OEM user account is temporary so any changes you make to the user's home directory are lost but changes made to the OS itself (like the added PPA and upgraded kernel) are kept.

If you have any further questions let me know.
kumanna

Post by kumanna »

Many thanks. Indeed, we're glad that you're ok with this. We'll do our best to ensure that we end up using the stock Mint kernel, sooner than later.

Since Mint fits well on the laptop and works effectively, that was our primary choice. Moreover, the community around Mint would also be useful to the users.

Thanks.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”