[SOLVED]Anonymous donation via paypal

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alpha0

[SOLVED]Anonymous donation via paypal

Post by alpha0 »

Is there a way to anonymously donate via paypal? I know you can do it through cryptocurrency, but I'm not too familiar with that. I could learn, though, but I have <$1 USD to give, and I'm not sure if bitcoin would be worth it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Anonymous donation via paypal

Post by xenopeek »

Thanks for considering to support the Linux Mint developers!

Right now with Bitcoin the transaction fees are several times higher than the amount you mentioned. With PayPal the transactions fees depend on your location and currency used but in general you can assume it to be something like 0.30 USD per transaction plus several percent of the donated amount. For donations smaller than 1 USD you could be mostly paying transaction fees :| You might instead save up to donate at a later date and combine with say a second donation so you only incur the fixed part (0.30 USD) of the transaction fees once.

PayPal isn't anonymous but Linux Mint doesn't do anything with your details other than send you an email with a link to a page where you can edit the name and optional website link to be displayed with your donation.
alpha0

Re: Anonymous donation via paypal

Post by alpha0 »

If I can choose what name shows up by my donation, that's fine. I mainly just wanted to know if it was possible to not have my wallet name show up. Thank you for the info.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED]Anonymous donation via paypal

Post by phd21 »

Hi "alpha0",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

1.) If there is a PayPal Donate button on a website, then from what I just read during the process, there will be an option to keep your identity anonymous. Only I did not see that option for Linux Mint donations, but I read something that Linux Mint will contact the donator to allow changes to how their donation shows up on their list?

2.) You can create a non-descriptive (anonymous) email address and link that to your PayPal account, and use that to make the payment or donation.

3.) Get a prepaid PayPal Gift Card and use that.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Non-technical Questions”