Page 1 of 1

Non Paypal donations!

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:03 am
by leadwtZ
Hi,

I've seen the posts regarding this matter and wonder if the 'guys' have found an alternative yet to Paypal?

I no longer use Paypal (Account or payment service) due to some issues. Likewise I no longer use Ebay because of their Paypal 'partnership'. Likewise (getting boring I know) I will not use Amazon because of their 'methods'.

Soooo being a supporter of LM I still wish to contribute but really my hands are tied.

Are we likely to see an alternative offered any time soon or ever?

Happy New Year :)

Re: Non Paypal donations!

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:48 am
by kc1di
This was the reply given in May 2017: by xenopeek: the entire thread can be read here: viewtopic.php?t=225621&start=20
Unread postby xenopeek ยป Wed May 17, 2017 3:39 am

Indeed, one of the primary reasons Linux Mint uses PayPal is that it automates the majority of administration needed to file taxes. Tax law gets complex when taking income from multiple countries. We'd rather Clem spends his time on development :wink: Linux Mint hasn't had issues with PayPal that I'm aware of and for what it offers its fees are competitive.

Requests to donate by check or direct bank transfer, or use a payment processor other than PayPal, come up from time to time. Most of Linux Mint's donors and sponsors do not have a problem with PayPal. For those that do, it would be great to offer them more alternatives. It's hard to say no to people that want to support the Linux Mint developers. As such that has been looked at before several times and I generally pass on such requests to Clem so, along with other sources of such requests, he can keep track of how many users don't want to donate using PayPal or the alternatives offered. My understanding is that other alternatives were more expensive and/or would've required much more time to handle and do administration for.
Image

Re: Non Paypal donations!

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:52 am
by Pierre
leadwtZ wrote:Hi,

Are we likely to see an alternative offered any time soon or ever?

Happy New Year :)
NO
:(
it's most unlikely to be changed . . .
- there are Accounting & Business Reasons behind this situation.
:o

the general suggestion, is to find someone who does have a Paypal account,
& ask if they will help you out.

another way, is to Buy products from LinuxMint affiliates.
:)

Re: Non Paypal donations!

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:11 am
by Minterator
I remember using a credit card successfully, it was even possible to set the donor's country flag.

Re: Non Paypal donations!

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:13 am
by MintBean
You must have a friend with Paypal that could do a one-off donation for cash.

Re: Non Paypal donations!

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:14 am
by leadwtZ
Yo kc!di I had seen the post by xenopeek but I wuz sort of hoping that there had been enough (pleasant) pressure to get another option for payment.

I could buy stuff Pierre but I am a non-material type so that is not really a viable option long-term.

Bye for now.

Ooops missed a couple of posts while doing this response:

Minterator The problem with credit card or otherwise is that the payment is 'powered' by Paypal and is actually on this system that I had problems. If it was 'Sagepay' or 'Worldpay' etc. it would not be an issue.

And no MintBean not really even my family and some friends are quiting Paypal and Ebay for the same reason/s.

Bye for now again.

Re: Non Paypal donations!

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:50 pm
by austin.texas
I am curious about what sort of problem you experience with Paypal. (Without divulging any personal information here, of course...)
I am not aware of any problem with them - other than possibly "political".

Re: Non Paypal donations!

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:24 pm
by MintBean
leadwtZ wrote:And no MintBean not really even my family and some friends are quiting Paypal and Ebay for the same reason/s.
So some of your friends still use Paypal. Problem solved.

Re: Non Paypal donations!

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:14 pm
by Minterator
leadwtZ wrote:Yo kc!di I had seen the post by xenopeek but I wuz sort of hoping that there had been enough (pleasant) pressure to get another option for payment.

I could buy stuff Pierre but I am a non-material type so that is not really a viable option long-term.

Bye for now.

Ooops missed a couple of posts while doing this response:

Minterator The problem with credit card or otherwise is that the payment is 'powered' by Paypal and is actually on this system that I had problems. If it was 'Sagepay' or 'Worldpay' etc. it would not be an issue.

And no MintBean not really even my family and some friends are quiting Paypal and Ebay for the same reason/s.

Bye for now again.

The first time I used Paypal thinking that I could make an anonymous donation, but such is not that case, Paypal passes your info to the payee and you show up in Mint's donor list whether you like it or not.

Unlike the US, Paypal in England would have to comply with strict EU regulations for privacy protection? Paypal seems to be a middleman here, since Mint is not set up to charge credit cards directly.

Re: Non Paypal donations!

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:33 pm
by leadwtZ
austin.Texas Ho - no political issues but unauthorised transactions which according to my contacts with the two different banks involved was originated in that service.

I cannot say that their assertions are true of course but I have taken the option of not using that particular service provider.

Anyway I shall still hope to find an alternative method for donating at some stage and so will leave it there.

Thanks for all the responses.

Re: Non Paypal donations!

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:14 am
by Minterator
leadwtZ wrote:austin.Texas Ho - no political issues but unauthorised transactions which according to my contacts with the two different banks involved was originated in that service.

I cannot say that their assertions are true of course but I have taken the option of not using that particular service provider.

Anyway I shall still hope to find an alternative method for donating at some stage and so will leave it there.

Thanks for all the responses.
Your point is well taken, though the NSA & MI5 already have all your data ; )

Also, I think donors would be better motivated if Mint published an audited financial statement annually.

Re: Non Paypal donations!

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:23 pm
by majpooper
I have no issues with PayPal - use it all the time. What I wish is that LM had a subscription option - I would love to set up something to donate a few bucks a month.

Re: Non Paypal donations!

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:21 pm
by MintBean
I think some people try to convince themselves there's no way to contribute because they don't want to contribute. You can come up with a thousand reasons should you try.

Re: Non Paypal donations!

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:08 pm
by majpooper
MintBean wrote:I think some people try to convince themselves there's no way to contribute because they don't want to contribute. You can come up with a thousand reasons should you try.
+1