password for root <SOLVED>

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: password for root

Post by karlchen »

orvas wrote:F12: there is boot menu but not recovery option. Ubuntu and EFI only.
Pressing <F12>, then selecting Ubuntu and keeping the <shift> key does not bring up the Grub menu, either?
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

It is a known problem, that some computers / keyboards do not properly work with the shift-key to open the grub menu. Saying that it is to add, that sometimes it makes a difference, if the left or the right shift key gets used. The left shift key is usually more reliable.

If this does not work you have to use the esc key. But note, that in difference to the shift- key, which you have to press and hold, the esc key has to get pressed repeatedly, as quick as you can (staccato).

Another thought: Is this a fresh install of LM 18.3 or is it an upgrade. In case, that the originally installed system was 18 or 18.1 the root password would indeed exist (it doesn't get removed by upgrading via the Update Manager). In this case the idea of majpooper should work.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Cosmo.
The final answer will have to be given by orvas. - Nonetheless, this post suggests it is very fresh Linux Mint 18.3 installation.
Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
orvas

Post by orvas »

IMG_20171230_090551.jpg
Power on and F12. It looks like this.
Should I select EFI PXE Network?
orvas

Post by orvas »

Sorry Pippin. Thank you Cosmo. Esc is working if it is pressed couple of times during power on. If Esc is hold down too long time it does not work.

I managed to found Linux Mint 18.3 ... (recovery mode)
I typed this command: mount -o remount,rw /
Computer told me that: the root filesystem in read-write mode is remounted

I did not succeed in this: adduser jari sudo
I tried couple of times in recovery boot mode and as normal user in normal login.
The commandline in recovery mode was very very very very confusing.
orvas

Post by orvas »

I have not yet tried: EFI PXE Network-boot.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

orvas wrote:I did not succeed in this: adduser jari sudo
I tried couple of times in recovery boot mode and as normal user in normal login.
The commandline in recovery mode was very very very very confusing.
What does this mean in detail?

Besides that: As it sounds, as if the story might take some more time, I suggest to make your life a little bit easier. To go for every step again into the recovery console, remount the system partition in read-write mode, reboot afterwards again, can get very annoying and time-intensive. So do this:
Reboot (hopefully for the last time) into the recovery console and remount the drive in read-write mode (the known mount command). Now enter passwd root. This allows you to define a password for the virtual user root. After done this you can boot normally and log into your command. Now you will be able to do the next steps and report them directly in the forum.

After having done the above described steps: Open a terminal and enter su; you have to enter the newly created password for root (not yours). Now try again with the command which I quoted at the beginning of this post. Copy and paste the output here, so we can see, what's going on.
orvas

Post by orvas »

I'll try these commands in recovery mode:
mount -o remount,rw /
passwd root (new passwr)

Then I'll boot normally.

Terminal commandline:
su (new passwr)

I'll copy and paste what happened.
orvas

Post by orvas »

After command mount -o remount,rw / it went to Recovery Menu.
In Recovery Meny there are resume, clean, dpkg, fsck, grub, network, root, system summary and <ok>.
I cannot select any of those. If I try tab or arrows it only puts strange text in the middle of screen.
All I can do is to press enter?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I do not understand, how you could report this here, if you could not even proceed int the recover console (the entry "root" in the menu). If you could reach the console 2 hours ago, this does not make sense (except you tell us, that poured your coffee over the keyboard or something like that).
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Time for a fresh install - it will take less time then what you have done so far - chalk it up to lessons learned.
orvas

Re: password for root (solved)

Post by orvas »

Everything should be OK now. I made fresh install. Thank you all for your advice. I had problems in command lines in recovery mode: command line disappeared in middle of command typing etc.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”