Why do so many programs not have a Linux port?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jglen490

Re: Why do so many programs not have a Linux port?

Post by jglen490 »

Agree. In my professional career, a lot of my work is presented in documents, briefing slides, spreadsheets, and the like. While Linux alternatives to MS Office are not absolutely 100% equivalent, I have yet to see much that couldn't be passed - both ways, either way - between my work MS enforced environment and my personal Linux environment.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Marziano wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Marziano wrote:
Would you like to elaborate on that for me to be able to follow the argument? On what front?
I'm not sure about either that as they seem to have a good lock on large numbers of the upscale crowd.
Ya, they seem to have a loyal "fanclub" who is willing to pay for that glowing logo.
No matter how much I personally like using Linux, when it comes to the number of actual desktop users we are still dreaming of passing that elusive 5 % limit of the total.
Probably won't happen. Unless your business uses UNIX, chances are your dealings with anything other than Microsoft are minimal. So, you want to have at home what you have at work, and vice-versa. When I was looking for a computer to use for college I loked at Commodores, Amigas, Ataries, etc. But then I thought, There are IBMs at work, and IBMs at school, so if I try to use a disk from a completely different machine...and wound up buying a DOS machine. Amstrad. Also came with CP/M and some program called GEM ;) Then I got a Tandy, and it came with something called GEOWORKS. Both of those shells were great at what they did, but eventually MS won out in the GUI war. At the time, GEOWORKS far outpaced Windows and could have been the de facto desktop if they had gotten their act together and had better marketing as well. I liked 3.11, 95 and 2000; XP not so much and Vista made the final push that made me go to Linux once and for all, even though I had been using it for a few years before that. Seven came along too late to switch me back from Linux. Now they are giving me a computer at work with Win 10. Oh, Joy! ;)

Forgot to mention OS/2. A real honest to goodness 32 bit OS. But IBM and MS parted ways and IBM dropped the ball on it shortly after.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Arch_Enemy wrote:
Marziano wrote:... when it comes to the number of actual desktop users we are still dreaming of passing that elusive 5 % limit of the total.
Probably won't happen. Unless your business uses UNIX, chances are your dealings with anything other than Microsoft are minimal.
You are right, it's very unlikely that they do so.
Now they are giving me a computer at work with Win 10. Oh, Joy! ;)
Lol, that's a bit of a sad-ending for an otherwise very nice IT-story. Keep up the good spirit, Arch_Enemy :D
cheers
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Marziano wrote:
Lol, that's a bit of a sad-ending for an otherwise very nice IT-story. Keep up the good spirit, Arch_Enemy :D
cheers
:D Thank you. I have successfully managed to avoid it up to this point. The ads in File Manager (ADS in FILE MANAGER?!?!, didn't I *PAY* for this software?!?!*), the constant phoning home, and the biggie, UEFI have all kept me in the Linux stable.

*er...no, I didn't. As a Dell rep, I was given a copy of each new version when it came out so I would be familiar with it on clients machines. I still didn't bother to load it! ;)
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”