Do most Linux users DIY or have OEM systems?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Do most Linux users DIY or have OEM systems?

Post by whm1974 »

One thing I have wondering about for some time is, do most Linux users tend build their own systems or have OEM computers? About ten years ago I assumed that most of us jDIY for compatibility reasons and well, we are also geeks.

Yes I know Linux has gotten way better about working on prebuilts OOTB without any issues. In fact buying refurbished computers with decent specs and installing Linux on them has become popular during the last few years.

I just want to know how many us are DIYers?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Do most Linux users DIY or have OEM systems?

Post by MintBean »

My laptop is build by a custom PC building outfit which gives you quite a lot of choice in terms of specs. Had no intention of running Linux on it when I bought it and now I run nothing else.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Personally, I think building your own is the best way to go. I do have to admit however that I am heavily biased against consumer level prebuilts.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Built my own main daily driver in Jan. of 2013 with a Cooler Master G-lite full size tower, F1 A75-V EVO motherboard, AMD A8-3870K APU with AMD Radeon 6550 HD Graphics 3.0GHz , 16 gigs Corsair Vengence ram, Hitachi HDT725050VLA360 (V56OA7EA) 500 gig HD, 600 watt power supply, LG optical disk drive, four cooling fans,(temp as im typing is 7 degrees centigrade, @ 4% APU usage), LG Flatron flat screen monitor...this thing was built with Windows 8 in mind, went to win 8.1 then win 10, and then i got fed up with microcrap...installed mint 18.0 at that time and went to all of that series until 18.3...{all Mint versions have worked flawlessly}...it is presently using peppermint 8.5 (respin)...everything here also runs flawlessly and very fast...in the blink of an eye...DAMIEN
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

Every computer that I had/have has been home assembled except for one that I had after Hurricane Katrina flooded my home and shut down my local parts supplier. Although I prefer home-builds many Linux users have pre-assembled rigs that do quite well with Linux.

My current system uses an AMD FX-8350 8 core (4 gigahertz) on an Asus M5A 78L-M USB3 with a GeForce GT 740 SC running two monitors. This system has 16 gigabytes RAM if ever needed and 4 sata HDDs for striped LVM. The CPU is using a closed loop liquid cooler.

I build my own because I can and I need a good hobby. As I get older it gets harder to do and I may end up with an OEM one day.

I use Linux Mint KDE because nothing else that I have tried works better.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Jim Hauser wrote:Every computer that I had/have has been home assembled except for one that I had after Hurricane Katrina flooded my home and shut down my local parts supplier. Although I prefer home-builds many Linux users have pre-assembled rigs that do quite well with Linux.

My current system uses an AMD FX-8350 8 core (4 gigahertz) on an Asus M5A 78L-M USB3 with a GeForce GT 740 SC running two monitors. This system has 16 gigabytes RAM if ever needed and 4 sata HDDs for striped LVM. The CPU is using a closed loop liquid cooler.

I build my own because I can and I need a good hobby. As I get older it gets harder to do and I may end up with an OEM one day.

I use Linux Mint KDE because nothing else that I have tried works better.
Well I hope you can DIY for as long as you can. I do have to admit, that every time I look at Newegg's Refurbished section, I see really good deals on decently spec systems.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

+1 for DIY, however https://www.tomsguide.com/us/buy-gaming ... 26524.html argues it's currently cheaper to buy than build.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

catweazel wrote:+1 for DIY, however https://www.tomsguide.com/us/buy-gaming ... 26524.html argues it's currently cheaper to buy than build.
That is mostly due to the currently high GPU prices.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

whm1974 wrote:
catweazel wrote:+1 for DIY, however https://www.tomsguide.com/us/buy-gaming ... 26524.html argues it's currently cheaper to buy than build.
That is mostly due to the currently high GPU prices.
Well, that's what the article says. It doesn't mean it's invalid.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Hopefully the prices of both will be back to normal by the time I build a new rig.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it depends on how easy it is to get Your Parts:
- if you can get them locally, then Great,
- if they have to be freighted in, then that is an additional cost.

it is often said, that you can't compete with machine that are built for That Other System,
and sometimes, that can be a truism.

all of my older Desktop's were recycled / upgraded from That Other System, . .
& all of my Laptops, certainly are, as well. .

but those Gaming Machines are a different beast - - you do need to Build those , yourself.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

Pierre wrote:it depends on how easy it is to get Your Parts:
- if you can get them locally, then Great,
- if they have to be freighted in, then that is an additional cost.

it is often said, that you can't compete with machine that are built for That Other System,
and sometimes, that can be a truism.

all of my older Desktop's were recycled / upgraded from That Other System, . .
& all of my Laptops, certainly are, as well. .

but those Gaming Machines are a different beast - - you do need to Build those , yourself.
8)
Gaming is one area were building it yourself might be a good deal. Outfits like Alienware and Digital Storm have some very nice high end systems but they are very pricey. I am not a gamer myself so I can get by with lower spec graphics as far as 3D is concerned. My local parts supplier is no longer in business but here in the states there are many good options.

In the past most of my computer "builds" involved putting new parts in an old case and changing only what was needed as it was needed. My current system is my first home assembly with all new parts.

I will run this one until people start laughing at my "antique."

I was on top of the world when I fired up my Athlon 64 beast years ago... :-)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I currently don't use a desktop computer, only laptops. My laptop is, and has been for many many years, a Thinkpad. Current daily driver is an X201.
When I had a desktop, it was always DIY and I assume that when I'll have one again, it will again be DIY.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Up to about 15 years ago all my PCs were home builds, then I switched to laptops and have been buying second hand Thinkpads ever since. Current is a T430.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

My previous desktop was a self build, my current desktop was bought assembled (but without OS) due to price and time constraints at the time, and I've had god knows how many cheap/second hand laptops, all of which just ran Linux Mint, and all did it better than the windows version that had been on it :wink:
Last edited by daveinuk on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

there should be a New Supply of Laptops, on the way, ATM:
Dead Windows 10 machines after updates here are two a penny. I'm no longer involved with servicing customers but my former partner has a stack of boxes and laptops waiting for attention. Why folks continue to pay for this system beats me.
and so, there is another Nice Collection of Laptops,
- Un-loved & UN-wanted.
:roll:

it's these PC repair shops, that are the New Gold Mine.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I did a DIY, with a Hewlett-Packard Spectre x360 and after i remembered to enable Legacy Boot, it works great. No issues at all. None. I have never purchased a linux OEM since most come with Ubuntu which I despise (actually I hate Unity), or some other o/s which does not work as well as Mint.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I've always installed it on laptops but I agree that DIY is better. Because it's a very good way to avoid hardware support issues.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I think this thread is about DIY as in assembling your own hardware, not about installing your own OS... is that right?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Moem wrote:I think this thread is about DIY as in assembling your own hardware, not about installing your own OS... is that right?
What has indicated otherwise?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Non-technical Questions”