I installed an SSD SOLVED

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SwanRider

I installed an SSD SOLVED

Post by SwanRider »

This isn't technical thing and it really didn't seem to fit elsewhere when I searched - if it does Admins please forgive and place it in there - thank you.
I have never had an SSD before and was quite frightened to use one, but I looked on line and they seemed to be okay. So I got a 480gb one at a good price and I am delighted with it and what is more Mint seems to be as well.
After fitting it I re-installed and it took less than 10 mins to do. I then re-installed my personal files and reloaded wine and other applications. All were very quick to do.I then did all the updates again this was faster than my old HDD took. I then headed to the Easy Linux Tips to complete things. Then rebooted and it rebooted in about 5 seconds.
The reason why I am mentioning it, is that I am amazed that such a simple hardware upgrade can make such an improvement - so I thought I'd pass this tip on to others as some might find it useful
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: I installed an SSD

Post by phd21 »

Hi SwanRider,

Congrats on the new drive.

Not that it matters much, but this post would probably be good to post in the hardware or chat section of the forum.

I just installed a new SSDrive myself a Silicon Power 256GB, which one did you get? FYI: Be sure to go to the drive's manufacturer's website to register for your warranty.

AmazonSmile: Silicon Power 256GB SSD 3D NAND With R/W Up To 550/450MB/s A55 SLC Cache Performance Boost SATA III 2.5" 7mm (0.28") Internal Solid State Drive (SP256GBSS3A55S25): Computers & Accessories
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

If you are using the older style mechanical platter hard drive, then getting and installing an SSDrive is certainly one of the best things you can do to improve your overall computer system performance. They are silent, super fast compared to regular mechanical platter hard drives, last longer, and everything works so much faster from booting up to running applications. I am very pleased with the SSDrive so far.
Upgrade to an SSD: The best way to make your computer feel like new - CNET
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-upgr ... indows-10/

10 reasons why now is the right time to upgrade to SSD - Memeburn
https://memeburn.com/2016/01/10-reasons ... de-to-ssd/

It’s Time: Why You Need to Upgrade to an SSD Right Now
https://www.howtogeek.com/194750/its-ti ... right-now/

FYI-2: If I may add a comment, after doing all the excellent SSD configuration recommendations from the superb Linux website "Easy Linux tips project" link on my ancient underpowered computer with only 3gb of system ram using Linux Mint KDE 18.2, my computer was freezing up, locking up, requiring a hard reboot. It was not doing this before. Being a power user, I also have a lot of stuff running. So, I changed the "swappiness" from "1" back to "10", and that seemed to solve this?

Last edited by phd21 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

phd21 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:18 pm Hi SwanRider,

Congrats on the new drive.

I just installed a new SSDrive myself a Silicon Power 256GB, which one did you get? FYI: Be sure to go to the drive's manufacturer's website to register for your warranty.

AmazonSmile: Silicon Power 256GB SSD 3D NAND With R/W Up To 550/450MB/s A55 SLC Cache Performance Boost SATA III 2.5" 7mm (0.28") Internal Solid State Drive (SP256GBSS3A55S25): Computers & Accessories
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

If you are using the older style platter hard drive, then getting and installing an SSDrive is certainly one of the best things you can do to improve your overall computer system performance. They are silent, super fast compared to regular platter hard drives, last longer, and everything works so much faster from booting up to running applications. I am very pleased with the SSDrive so far.
Upgrade to an SSD: The best way to make your computer feel like new - CNET
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-upgr ... indows-10/

10 reasons why now is the right time to upgrade to SSD - Memeburn
https://memeburn.com/2016/01/10-reasons ... de-to-ssd/

It’s Time: Why You Need to Upgrade to an SSD Right Now
https://www.howtogeek.com/194750/its-ti ... right-now/

FYI-2: If I may add a comment, after doing all the excellent SSD configuration recommendations from the superb Linux website "Easy Linux tips project" link on my ancient underpowered computer with only 3gb of system ram using Linux Mint KDE 18.2, my computer was freezing up, locking up, requiring a hard reboot. It was not doing this before. Being a power user, I also have a lot of stuff running. So, I changed the "swappiness" from "1" back to "10", and that seemed to solve this?

I got a Scan disk Ultra 11 480gb which was more than enough for me to try out I thought - Now I know how good they are I might go the for the 1TB next month. I am not a power user so 1 seems to work for me as I have 6gig of memory - Thanks I forgot to register it and will have to find the receipt to do it.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi SwanRider,
SwanRider wrote:Thanks I forgot to register it and will have to find the receipt to do it.
I did not need the receipt to register my SSDrive although you usually do, you probably do need the drive's serial # that is located on the drive itself and the product key or model UPC code which is usually on the packaging. Some SSD manufacturers have a QR Scan Code on the packaging for registering your drive, If you have a smartphone to read it. Their website will usually give instructions on how to register, and they may also provide firmware updates and free software too.
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
SwanRider

Re: Solved I installed an SSD

Post by SwanRider »

just putting Solved on here - not that there was anything to get solved
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Solved I installed an SSD

Post by Moem »

SwanRider wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:09 am just putting Solved on here - not that there was anything to get solved
Marking a topic as SOLVED is done in the title of the first post, by editing that title and adding '[SOLVED].

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

For anyone looking to store more than 480 GB, there is now a 100,000 GB SSD. Plenty of room for extra characters in DOOM.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Petermint wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:46 am For anyone looking to store more than 480 GB, there is now a 100,000 GB SSD. Plenty of room for extra characters in DOOM.
Yeah, only $US50,000+ each.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

$US50,000+ each
They will be on ebay for $49.95 with free delivery. :D
maxandy

Post by maxandy »

SwanRider wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:36 pm This isn't technical thing and it really didn't seem to fit elsewhere when I searched - if it does Admins please forgive and place it in there - thank you.
I have never had an SSD before and was quite frightened to use one, but I looked on line and they seemed to be okay. So I got a 480gb one at a good price and I am delighted with it and what is more Mint seems to be as well.
After fitting it I re-installed and it took less than 10 mins to do. I then re-installed my personal files and reloaded wine and other applications. All were very quick to do.I then did all the updates again this was faster than my old HDD took. I then headed to the Easy Linux Tips to complete things. Then rebooted and it rebooted in about 5 seconds.
The reason why I am mentioning it, is that I am amazed that such a simple hardware upgrade can make such an improvement - so I thought I'd pass this tip on to others as some might find it useful
Superb!, yes it is a world of difference solid state drives v.s. optical ones, I hope to eventually replace my 1Tb HDD with a smaller SSD and buy a casing for the former to use as a backup drive.
Did you notice any battery savings, and is your system like most smartphones instant on?
If so, I am tempted to pull the plug on the HDD to enjoy this.
Congrats!
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

heat with a SSD will be reduced greatly, important especially on a laptop
also, if you launch your laptop onto the floor the HHD might fail, much less likely with a SSD

I treat mine just like the HHD, nothing special...
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

My SSD has the same peak power usage as a slow magnetic disk of the same capacity but the peak power is used for only a fraction of the time, reducing overall power usage.
Madmogone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Madmogone »

Hi all, I too only use ssd,s now for the operating system, but still use the old hdd,s for storing data, (plenty fast enough for me, and cheaper),The ssd,s are great for laptops too, run cooler,save battery life and are more robust.The only downside to them apart from the cost,is I believe that when you come to get rid of your machine, it is a lot harder to ensure that all(personal) data is wiped from the drive.I think the ordinary erasure programs for use on hdd,s are not that good for ssd,s. But I think the new GParted program has a dedicated ssd erasure program, I am looking round to see if there is a dedicated program I can add to my operating systems to enable secure deletion of ssd,s. Can anyone point me in the right direction?.Sorry if this last statement contravines hi-jacking a subject, may be I should ask on a separate question?.Cheers all.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

SSDs have secure erase built in the same as modern magnetic disks. Any program that issues the secure erase command will work. There is probably a 1935 style teletype command for it.
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

maxandy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:13 am
SwanRider wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:36 pm This isn't technical thing and it really didn't seem to fit elsewhere when I searched - if it does Admins please forgive and place it in there - thank you.
Superb!, yes it is a world of difference solid state drives v.s. optical ones, I hope to eventually replace my 1Tb HDD with a smaller SSD and buy a casing for the former to use as a backup drive.
Did you notice any battery savings, and is your system like most smartphones instant on?
If so, I am tempted to pull the plug on the HDD to enjoy this.
Congrats!
Just seen this - instant on yes,well almost between 3 to 5 seconds for Mint to load from being off - I don't have a smart phone so don't know that - Battery saving yes quite a lot can't quantify exact amounts for you. Noise and heat levels 0ver 99% reduced only hear the fan really and not that often unless doing a lot of work then it comes on for a few seconds. If you are thinking of doing it then from my experience I'd say go ahead - I am using less space on it than I was on the HDD although I've not reduced anything as I reinstalled from a back up - I would say before you do, do a complete back up on an external drive so you can restore easily - with prices as they are at the moment you can get a SSD 480GB from about £150 - I find that more than enough for what I use, but even a 1TB will cost less than £300 if you shop around

Return to “Non-technical Questions”