[SOLVED]; Investing in KDE waste of time?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Post Reply
maxandy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:01 am

[SOLVED]; Investing in KDE waste of time?

Post by maxandy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:45 pm

According to CNET and GHACKS KDE will be dropped after Mint 18.3
https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions ... fter-18-3/
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/10/27/linux ... e-3-is-in/
Is this true?

Since I am using a 2018 model wacom intuos pentablet, which desktop environment has Wacom services included?
The reason I bought the pen to be used in KDE was because in Mint 14 KDE it was included in the input devices system settings..(https://www.davidrevoy.com/article155/l ... r-painters), I can not understand why it was removed in later versions..

I am just a month into Linux Mint 18.3 KDE now and enjoying it immensely, cannot imagine myself going back to windows or forth to mac os, so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by maxandy on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
phd21
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Investing in KDE waste of time?

Post by phd21 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:54 pm

Hi maxandy,

The Linux Mint team decided to concentrate on Cinnamon, Mate, and Xfce. They have been using the Kubuntu Backport PPA to keep their KDE version up to date. The current Linux Mint KDE 18.3 will be good until 2021, if I am not mistaken.

Afterward, all of us Linux Mint KDE users will have to install KDE on top of another Linux Mint edition like Xfce or Mate, or switch to another KDE distribution. Instructions for installing KDE onto an existing Linux Mint edition will be forthcoming from what we have been told, and it is not hard to do.

I think there are instructions for installing the graphics tablet packages into versions of KDE if they do not have it.
Linux Mint KDE 18.2 release notes" wrote:Wacom tablets support
Unfortunately, Plasma 5 does not support Wacom tablets yet. You can however install a KDE 4 KCM module and launch it from the terminal.
To install it, open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install kded5 kde-config-tablet
To launch it, open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

qdbus org.kde.kded /kded loadModule wacomtablet

Code: Select all

kcmshell4 kcm_wacomtablet
KDE/wacomtablet: This module implements a GUI for the Wacom Linux Drivers and extends it with profile support to handle different button / pen layouts per profile.
https://github.com/KDE/wacomtablet

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

User avatar
catweazel
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5917
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Investing in KDE waste of time?

Post by catweazel » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:54 am

maxandy wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:45 pm
According to CNET and GHACKS KDE will be dropped after Mint 18.3
https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions ... fter-18-3/
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/10/27/linux ... e-3-is-in/
Is this true?
Yes, it's true however there will be instructions from the devs on how to add KDE to Mint Xfce 19.x and then remove Xfce. A lot of the KDE users here seem to have already moved to other distros such as Neon, Kubuntu and Manjaro.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

maxandy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:01 am

Re: Investing in KDE waste of time?

Post by maxandy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:50 pm

phd21 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:54 pm
Hi maxandy,

The Linux Mint team decided to concentrate on Cinnamon, Mate, and Xfce. They have been using the Kubuntu Backport PPA to keep their KDE version up to date. The current Linux Mint KDE 18.3 will be good until 2021, if I am not mistaken.

Afterward, all of us Linux Mint KDE users will have to install KDE on top of another Linux Mint edition like Xfce or Mate, or switch to another KDE distribution. Instructions for installing KDE onto an existing Linux Mint edition will be forthcoming from what we have been told, and it is not hard to do.

I think there are instructions for installing the graphics tablet packages into versions of KDE if they do not have it.
Linux Mint KDE 18.2 release notes" wrote:Wacom tablets support
Unfortunately, Plasma 5 does not support Wacom tablets yet. You can however install a KDE 4 KCM module and launch it from the terminal.
To install it, open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install kded5 kde-config-tablet
To launch it, open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

qdbus org.kde.kded /kded loadModule wacomtablet

Code: Select all

kcmshell4 kcm_wacomtablet
KDE/wacomtablet: This module implements a GUI for the Wacom Linux Drivers and extends it with profile support to handle different button / pen layouts per profile.
https://github.com/KDE/wacomtablet

Hope this helps ...
thanks for the command lines phd21,
although I got stuck with next error: ~ $ qdbus org.kde.kded /kded loadModule wacomtablet
Cannot find '.loadModule' in object /kded at org.kde.kded

Actually I don't mind switching to a distro with another desktop, I just need to be sure which one has wacom tablet panel included and has a fully functional bluetooth to connect the pentablet wireless.
What is even more important is to have a distro with the least midi-latency for connecting my usb piano keyboard, maybe I should compare with the avllinux distro? (so many distros, so little time :) )

Which distro are you on phd21, and which one would you recommend in my case?

maxandy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:01 am

Re: Investing in KDE waste of time?

Post by maxandy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:57 pm

catweazel wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:54 am
maxandy wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:45 pm
According to CNET and GHACKS KDE will be dropped after Mint 18.3
https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions ... fter-18-3/
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/10/27/linux ... e-3-is-in/
Is this true?
Yes, it's true however there will be instructions from the devs on how to add KDE to Mint Xfce 19.x and then remove Xfce. A lot of the KDE users here seem to have already moved to other distros such as Neon, Kubuntu and Manjaro.
thanks catweazel, for your input.
I would not mind changing to another distro which has the wacom panel included and latest bluetooth settings to connect the pentablet on. The only other device I need to connect is a usb piano keyboard, so having the least midi latency would also be necessairy.

which desktop would you recommend that will some close to these needs, I don't have the time sadly to try all the named desktop distro's to look which one will work..

User avatar
Pierre
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6928
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Investing in KDE waste of time?

Post by Pierre » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:16 pm

any of the above versions of KDE would work for you,
& for myself, I've currently got NEON installed onto my 64bit machine.
- it's a bit lighter than the UE50 that was installed previously.

most folks will probably take the easier route and just install the KDE desktop onto some other LinuxMint version.
8)
don't mix Cinnamon and KDE together, though - - that combo can cause some co-existence issue.
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

User avatar
phd21
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Investing in KDE waste of time?

Post by phd21 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:57 pm

Hi maxandy,

You are welcome...

I am currently using Linux Mint KDE 18.2 and 17.3 (dual booting). I spend more time nowadays in 18.2.

Perhaps you did not install the dependencies because as you can see from my screenshot, I can run graphics tablet support in my 18.2 right now. Only thing is I do not have a graphics tablet, so I cannot test it, although I would love one.
maxandy wrote:What is even more important is to have a distro with the least midi-latency for connecting my usb piano keyboard, maybe I should compare with the avllinux distro? (so many distros, so little time :) )
Latency should not be a problem as long as your computer hardware is not too old or underpowered. You can also install the "jack" sound sub-system packages, or install a low-latency Linux Kernel, to solve any issues with latency.

I have a low-cost USB Bluetooth v4.x adapter from Amazon.com, and so far I can easily connect any Bluetooth device to it. Works great.

FYI: I tried to compile this project in the link below, and I could not in my current Linux Mint KDE 18.2, but apparently, it is available in newer KDE distros, or could be compiled in those. It could be available elsewhere, but I could not find it yet.

KDE/wacomtablet: This module implements a GUI for the Wacom Linux Drivers and extends it with profile support to handle different button / pen layouts per profile.
https://github.com/KDE/wacomtablet

I have tried Maui, Neon, and Kubuntu versions of KDE as well. They are all very good and have their pros and cons. I love my Linux Mint KDE systems and will stick with them for now.

There is a post regarding Mint dropping KDE that has a lot of information.

Hope this helps ...
KDE_Tablet_Support1.jpg
Linux Mint KDE 18.2 - graphics tablet
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

User avatar
phd21
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Investing in KDE waste of time?

Post by phd21 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:46 am

Hi maxandy,

The project below looked really interesting and has its own KDE widget (applet), so I tried to compile it again and was successful after making a minor change. Update: I also created a Linux deb installer for it, see below.

After downloading their master source code archive file and extracting it, in their folder "wacomtablet-master", I had to change the line at the top of their source code "CMakeLists.txt" file from requiring QT development 5.7.0 to 5.6.0 and save the changes, followed their compiling instructions and it compiled. I already have QT 5.9 installed, but apparently, it is not integrated into my entire system and search paths (I do not know how to do that yet). But, QT5.6 is already in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and when you install it from there it is available everywhere.

"wacomtablet-master" - change top of CMakeLists.txt file

Code: Select all

set(QT_MIN_VERSION "5.6.0")
KDE/wacomtablet: This module implements a GUI for the Wacom Linux Drivers and extends it with profile support to handle different button / pen layouts per profile.
https://github.com/KDE/wacomtablet


* I created a Linux deb file installer for this, click link below save the file and double-click it to install it. But I do not know if it will grab all the dependencies or not.
- Backup before installing this, I did.

- If you also want my source code folder where I compiled this to try on your system, just ask me.

wacomtablet_build_20180320-1_amd64.deb (64-bit only)
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... 2Lu7ohzES7

Hope this helps ...
KDE_wacom_tablet1.jpg
KDE Wacom Tablet
KDE_wacom_tablet_widget1.jpg
KDE Wacom Tablet Widget
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

User avatar
phd21
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Investing in KDE waste of time?

Post by phd21 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi maxandy,

I updated my last reply, please re-read it.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

maxandy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:01 am

Re: Investing in KDE waste of time?

Post by maxandy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:26 am

phd21 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:57 pm

Latency should not be a problem as long as your computer hardware is not too old or underpowered. You can also install the "jack" sound sub-system packages, or install a low latency Linux Kernel, to solve any issues with latency.
Great stuff, phd21, install a low latency kernel, now that is one thing of a lot that you cannot do with windows :).
I will try both midi options,
Cheers!

User avatar
phd21
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Investing in KDE waste of time?

Post by phd21 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:03 am

Hi maxandy,

You are welcome...

Did you try the new wacom tablet package?

It is unlikely with any newer computer that you would need to install a low-latency Linux Kernel, but you can and it is easy to do.

There is a jack meta package "multimedia-jack" in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" it installs all the basic "jack" sound stuff and there are a lot of other "jack" sound packages in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)".

Cheers to you as well.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

maxandy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:01 am

Re: Investing in KDE waste of time?

Post by maxandy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:12 am

phd21 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:03 am
Hi maxandy,

You are welcome...

Did you try the new wacom tablet package?

It is unlikely with any newer computer that you would need to install a low-latency Linux Kernel, but you can and it is easy to do.

There is a jack meta package "multimedia-jack" in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" it installs all the basic "jack" sound stuff and there are a lot of other "jack" sound packages in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)".
Hey phd21,
yes I just tried the tablet package, awesome to have this panel added to my system settings, although it did not register my intuos pen yet.
tablet errors.png
I have to get back on you for this, since it's getting definite tech talk now, let me try a few checkups first.
For now I will close this topic, since I am now certain that KDE is a sure thing.
much thanks for all the insights given, and still to be given :)

User avatar
phd21
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6345
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Investing in KDE waste of time?

Post by phd21 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:41 am

Hi maxandy,

You are welcome, again ...

Look under your Settings Menu for Wacomn Tablet Finder menu entry, or install the widget and right-click that, or both.

...
KDE_wacom_Tablet_MenuEntry1.jpg
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

User avatar
catweazel
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5917
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Investing in KDE waste of time?

Post by catweazel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:51 am

phd21 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:03 am
It is unlikely with any newer computer that you would need to install a low-latency Linux Kernel
I'm not sure that is accurate, even with today's high-end gear. There are valid reasons for choosing a low-latency kernel that depend entirely on what the machine is being used for. Audio and video processing, kernel-mode DBMS, CAD rendering, engineering, architectural and animation workflows, infiniband interconnects, industrial control devices...

I need a low-latency kernel on my mega-beast workstation otherwise lag is very noticeable when the machine is busy crunching numbers.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

Drayldan
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:09 am
Location: at the Baltic sea...

Re: Investing in KDE waste of time?

Post by Drayldan » Sun May 20, 2018 3:44 pm

phd21 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:46 am
* I created a Linux deb file installer for this, click link below save the file and double-click it to install it. But I do not know if it will grab all the dependencies or not.
- Backup before installing this, I did.
- If you also want my source code folder where I compiled this to try on your system, just ask me.
wacomtablet_build_20180320-1_amd64.deb (64-bit only)
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... 2Lu7ohzES7
Hope this helps ...
Well, I installed this script as well and got the same results... So how to remove it and back to previous settings?
I am fiddling around with the subject, have Wacom tablet (intuos4) just connected so I am to check what (else) can be done.

Post Reply

Return to “Non-technical Questions”