Forum search issue

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Forum search issue

Post by lsemmens »

MODS, please move this as appropriate
I just attempted to do a search using the search bar in the forum header and I got this meassage

all I was searching was "nemo /etc/mnt/" which will be the subject of another thread.
Access Denied - Sucuri Website Firewall

If you are the site owner (or you manage this site), please whitelist your IP or if you think this block is an error please open a support ticket and make sure to include the block details (displayed in the box below), so we can assist you in troubleshooting the issue.
Block details:
Your IP: XXXXX
URL: forums.linuxmint.com/search.php?keywords=nemo+%2Fetc%2Fmount
Your Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0
Block ID: RFI004
Block reason: An attempted RFI/LFI was detected and blocked.
Time: Sun Apr 1 23:54:05 2018
Server ID: 11008
EDIT:
As an Addenum: it appears that /etc/mnt/ is the culprit here. If I search on nemo and then search for /etc/mnt/ in the results I can see the desired posts.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Forum search issue

Post by xenopeek »

Other users have noted they can bully the website's protection into throwing them such a block message by doing searches like that. We're going to leave it at paranoid setting for now.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

If I am searching for that string, why should the server have a hissy fit? I'm looking for a string that may, or may not be quoted in posts. It's not as though I am trying to hack the inner workings of the server. As an infamous Ozzie Politician once said "Please Explain?"
Fully mint Household
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

I find googling more effective. Google also brings up related posts from Ubuntu and Debian. That leaves linuxmint.com free to be more paranoid than the staff working for a certain president.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

lsemmens wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:46 am If I am searching for that string, why should the server have a hissy fit? I'm looking for a string that may, or may not be quoted in posts. It's not as though I am trying to hack the inner workings of the server. As an infamous Ozzie Politician once said "Please Explain?"
Google -> nemo "/etc/mnt/" site:forums.linuxmint.com
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I like to use Google's Advanced Search

you enter the domain and then up above, whatever you are looking for
lots of options in GUI format

https://www.google.com/advanced_search

but usually, I don't restrict it to domains, as a lot of very good answers come from the other forums, like Ubuntu
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I use site specific search forthis forum too ... even irrespective of the OP's issue, the built in search function is very poor.

As mentioned, for general searching it's a good idea to use "ubuntu <point release>", the release being 16.04 if on mint 18.x or 14.04 for 17.x. You want the point release because solutions for other releases often aren't going to work. Or preface it with 'linux'.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:07 am the built in search function is very poor
Using an external search engine is often the only option, as the Forum built-in search insists on ignoring certain crucial search terms, such as KDE, no matter what you try to do to include them.

I also include "linux" or "linux mint" in non site-specific searches, where relevant.

it would be nice if the likes of DuckDuckGo included a datestamp for when the pages were last updated, to aid in avoiding all those ancient postings.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi lsemmens, and Anyone Else Interested in this,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It can be difficult to find, search, or locate posts for certain search criteria. But, as others have pointed out, you can use various search engines like Google to helps with that.

Code: Select all

nemo /etc/mnt/ site:forums.linuxmint.com
Hope this helps ...
Google_Advanced_Search1.jpg
Google_Advanced_Search2.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

BG405 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:33 pm...I also include "linux" or "linux mint" in non site-specific searches, where relevant....
I use 'linux' as a preface all the time but rarely 'mint' ... 'ubuntu' gets WAY more and better hits, but you do need to be able to sort out which versions etc are applicable.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks for you suggestions, all. I just found it strange that a firewall would block a search string. It's not as though I was looking for plans for a dirty bomb or other norty stuff. I'm certainly well aware of the capabilities of other search engines a novice may use the site search and, upon striking a message such as this, might go into a flat panic thinking their computer is infected with something nasty.
Fully mint Household

Return to “Non-technical Questions”