How to get involved in the testing team?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tlmcca
Level 1
Level 1

How to get involved in the testing team?

Post by tlmcca »

I just purchased a Dell Latitude E6420 laptop on eBay from a seller who ships with Mint 18.3 installed and expect delivery by Apr 9. I chose this model even though the Hardware DB doesn't list a status for 18.3 but does show it worked perfectly with older releases. That and the seller's guarantee made it worthwhile.

I've gained a lot from reading this forum and I'd like to give back by providing an addition to the DB for this device. My questions:
  • 1. Does the testing team accept new members?
    2. Is there a testing script that is used to make sure each device is scored on the same basis?
    3. How do I get started?
Thanks,
Terry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to get involved in the testing team?

Post by xenopeek »

You don't need to join the testing team to write a hardware review. Or am I misunderstanding your intent? The testing team does the quality assurance tests on new ISOs before they are released for beta testing. Those tests are specific and about the ISO itself; they are not about hardware compatibility or issues. If you click on any of the ISOs here https://community.linuxmint.com/iso you can view the test cases that the QA testing team does.

So if you just want to write a hardware review for how well a specific Linux Mint version works with your laptop, you just need to register an account on the Community website and then on its My Places > My Hardware menu you can click the button to write a new hardware review.
tlmcca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tlmcca »

What I am looking for is to provide an update to the Hardware Database which I assumed would require some sort of structured testing.

Terry
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

No, anybody can write a review for the hardware database. You can do it as detailed as you want to. Simple things like what did you test on the laptop, what worked (and possibly what did you need to do to make it work) and what didn't. What didn't you test. Things like cards readers, USB ports, wifi, ethernet, touchpad, can you suspend and so on.
tlmcca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tlmcca »

Are those details from previous reviews available?

Terry
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

tlmcca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tlmcca »

Okay, I received my E6420 this morning and installed 18.3 Cinnamon and that went very well. I worked through testing everything I was able to do and registered on the community.linuxmint.com site to share what I found. I completed the New hardware device form and when I click Save this hardware device I get an Access Denied message:

Block details:
Your IP: <removed>
URL: community.linuxmint.com/hardware/save
Your Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/65.0.3325.181 Safari/537.36
Block ID: EXPVP5
Block reason: Exploit attempt denied by virtual patching.
Time: Sun Apr 8 01:52:35 2018
Server ID: 14009

I've saved the text I typed into the form so I'll be able to enter it again if someone can tell me what the problem is.

Terry
Last edited by xenopeek on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remoevd your IP address for privacy reasons

Return to “Non-technical Questions”