How can I make the forum Automatically Subscribe me to the threads that I create? [Solved]

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

How can I make the forum Automatically Subscribe me to the threads that I create? [Solved]

Post by AZgl1800 »

All done, go to Forum Preferences and make all the options yes.

It is a PITA for me, that half the time I forget to mark a thread to be Subscribed so that I get an email that it has a response.

Is there some way, that I can set the profile in the forum, to automatically subscribe to my threads?

In my motorcycle forum, that is an option to check off, or not.
Last edited by AZgl1800 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How can I make the forum Automatically Subscribe me to the threads that I create?

Post by xenopeek »

To be notified of replies, the reply post would have to quote your post or you must have the topic bookmarked or subscribed. There is no option to automatically bookmark or subscribe.

In Quick links > Your posts (search.php?search_id=egosearch) all topics on which you have posted that have new posts since you last read the topic have a red icon. If you instead want to see only your own topics, and not topics started by others on which you have replied, you can use advanced search. Here's an example search for you: search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=A ... mit=Search
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How can I make the forum Automatically Subscribe me to the threads that I create?

Post by rene »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:12 pm There is no option to automatically bookmark or subscribe.
Eh? Every thread I reply to I'm automatically subscribed to...

[EDIT] Ah, "threads I create" is the issue; I seem to never create threads. Rather unexpected though if a reply would auto-subscribe, yet create does not...

[EDIT] User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit posting defaults -> Notify me upon replies by default?
Last edited by rene on Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi AZgl1500,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I created a browser bookmark to my posts and replies by going to the Linux Mint Forum webpage, clicking "Quick links" in the upper left, then "Your Posts", select to create save a browser bookmark as MyLinuxMintPosts which I usually have open to its own browser tab, and I have new posts open in another browser tab.

I automatically get notified when I have posted or replied to any post.

Hope this helps ...
LM_Forum_Accessing_Your_Posts_and_Replies.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Just tested in viewtopic.php?f=6&t=267460. Certainly was subscribed...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That's a confusing name for the option. But if it works, great :)
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Supposedly it does. No one is being nice enough to reply to my test-topic.... ;-)

[EDIT] "Redact" just now did and indeed I was notified through email. So, just works. Also quite sure I never changed anything myself regarding this so the board's default options seem to work just fine and get you automatic notification of replies both to own and replied-to threads.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I always go to forum board Preferences when I log into a new site.

And " I thought " ( bad assumption there ) that I had set every option to 'ON' or yes....

but, I have been known to click "Preview" and think that I posted to a thread, and then later " Where in the Sam Hill is that post I made to help that guy?..... it is just gone gone.

When in reality, it never was Submitted.... :roll:

So, following the good clues, here, I have gone and done the deed

.Image

thanks once again, for all the good help....
Now I can take another nap, and wake up to responses to my "Previews" ha ha ha

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I don't worry about subscriptions to threads. I just use the Quick links at the top of the forum. <Your Posts> lists everything that I've responded to, and.....well you'll get the idea.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Non-technical Questions”