Linux on a Mac computer? (solved)

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Linux on a Mac computer? (solved)

Post by Wompoo »

I am not sure this is the appropriate place to ask, but here goes.........
Is it possible to load a Linux Mint operating system on a Macintosh computer?
I have a buddy who uses Mac for business and, as a result, requires good security.
Would also probably need a spreadsheet program.

Suggestions please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop PC #1
Linux Mint 20.3 MATE desktop (64-bit), Asus
ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX, 8 Gb RAM
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux on a Mac computer?

Post by Flemur »

Wompoo wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:57 pmIs it possible to load a Linux Mint operating system on a Macintosh computer?
It appears to be possible and here is a lot of information on it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Wompoo wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:57 pm Is it possible to load a Linux Mint operating system on a Macintosh computer?
Sure, people do it all the time. Won't work on older Macs with PowerPC processors, only on the newer Macs with Intel processors.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Wompoo wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:57 pm ...Is it possible to load a Linux Mint operating system on a Macintosh computer?
...Would also probably need a spreadsheet program.

Suggestions please?
It does work. I installed Mint Cinnamon on a Mac Book Air (2011 model) about six months ago. Then you could use Libre Office (Calc) for a spreadsheet.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Wompoo,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

One good way to find out is to just burn a bootable DVD or USB stick of Linux Mint and try to boot to that on that Mac computer. If it works, then you should be able to install Linux Mint along side the current Mac OS, or replace it.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Thanks for the replies Flemur, Jimalyn, Wally and phd21.
phd21 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:00 pm Hi Wompoo,
One good way to find out is to just burn a bootable DVD or USB stick of Linux Mint and try to boot to that on that Mac computer. If it works, then you should be able to install Linux Mint along side the current Mac OS, or replace it.
Excellent (logical) suggestion phd21. It will be an interesting exercise, even if my pal does not adopt it.
Thanks,

Jim.
Desktop PC #1
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux on a Mac computer? (solved)

Post by stephanieswitzer »

I single boot Mint 18.3 on my old MacMini. Works like a dream.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Wompoo,

You are welcome ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have done about a dozen installs on MacBook 2.0 and 2.1. The owner wished to keep the old drive so I did an initial install from a live disk to a SATA drive 160GB $15 mounted in a standard Toshiba laptop with a similar CPU. On the install I entered Mac 2.X under computer name instead of the Toshiba. I then moved the HDD to the MacBook and completed the installation after cleaning out the fan and heatsink.
It required the ALT/Option button to be pressed on boot then selecting "Windows" Everything always worked except the webcam. It does work with an external USB webcam however.
This way if the user gets nostalgic they can try the old Apple OS again before reusing the HDD for something else. :mrgreen:
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

I have Mint 18.2 on my iMac 9.1 I use as my daily driver. Works great.

Trying Mint with the LiveUSB is always a good idea. And yes, you do have to hold down the Alt/Option key to get to the screen to choose your boot device. Not a problem with a wired keyboard. If you are using a wireless keyboard, you'll have to wait until the Mac startup sound finishes because that's the signal that all of the hardware has been recognized.

Also, if this Mac uses a wireless card, you'll have to open Driver Manager and load the Broadcom wireless drivers. Then the wireless should work fine.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Thanks Tom and CKC.
Desktop PC #1

Return to “Non-technical Questions”