A Replacement for Linux Mint KDE < Solved - Thanks for your Help>

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TopEnder
Level 2
Level 2

A Replacement for Linux Mint KDE < Solved - Thanks for your Help>

Post by TopEnder »

I need a suggestion as a replacement for Linux Mint KDE, seeing the current of Linux Mint KDE will be the last (so I believe). I've tried Kubuntu 18.04, did not like it not a patch on Linux Mint KDE. I could not install my Brother Laser Printers/Scanners except if the printer was plugged in when Kubuntu was installed the printer was recognised. I have found this to be the norm with most of current Discos.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: A Replacement for Linux Mint KDE

Post by catweazel »

TopEnder wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:55 am I need a suggestion as a replacement for Linux Mint KDE
Roll your own Linux Mint 19.1 KDE when 19.1 comes out...

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=267121
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

But I'd be suggesting to Not load the Kde on-top-of an existing Cinnamon Desktop Environment,
and instead place it over an existing Mate OR Xfce Desktop Environment.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
TopEnder
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TopEnder »

Thanks fellow Aussies, I currently run Cinnamon 18.3 on the Desktop (Dell Optiplex 990) and KDE on an older laptop (Toshiba L500). When or if Linux Mint after the current version no linger is available I would like to install another Disco version of KDE, preferable on the Desktop and Cinnamon on the Laptop. Regards, Smokey (TopEnder)
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

if you want another distro version; have a look at OpenSuse; it is said to be very polished there; there is a very good support forum;

https://en.opensuse.org/KDE

they say kde is their default desktop:
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

16 years ago I tried to install openSUSE on a PPC-Mac - Well, it was the very first attempt with GNU/Linux...

Now I installed openSUSE Tumbleweed in the VirtualBox - and WOW !

Remarkably much photo software: GIMP, digiKam, Hugin, showFoto etc. and a Wacom Tablet finder...
All this with many nice details - Good work!
jaymot

Post by jaymot »

pdc_2 wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 7:08 pm if you want another distro version; have a look at OpenSuse; it is said to be very polished there; there is a very good support forum;

https://en.opensuse.org/KDE

they say kde is their default desktop:
One problem I encountered when I tested OpenSUSE Tumbleweed was when I set up full disk encryption, after saving my partitions it prompted me to download four dependancies including cryptsetup (why didn't they include them in their live CD?) and they weren't on the list of available packages to download at that point. It wasted a good 30 minutes of my time, and I thought that if that's the kind of show-stopper of a problem I encounter upon installation what other problems might I find later? Any distro that gives me headaches when trying to install it is one that I don't think I want to use. ("You never get a second chance to make a good first impression.")

A KDE distro that I heartily recommend is PCLinuxOS 2017. It can do a full disk encryption installation using LVM but it has to be all set up manually and is a pain to get working, and once you've done so (as I found) Clonezilla can't image the boot partition so restorals of the image won't boot, but if you don't need FDE security it's a wonderful distro. The packages in its repository pretty much "just work" and its support forum is just about as friendly and helpful as here. Their main version uses KDE5 (they also have an official MATE version) so they don't plan to drop KDE (Plasma) any time soon. It was originally a fork of Mandriva so it uses .rpms yet it also uses apt on the command line, so if you're used to working wit apt it will be a seamless transition for you. It has a modified Synaptic package manager which includes the update tool built-in, and as it's a semi-rolling release you'll want to do an update on a regular basis, but doing so means the version of PCLOS you installed should never become outdated (in theory; in practise you'll probably want to reinstall every few years to remove cruft and fix any instability issues it's caused) and you shouldn't have to reinstall every year or so to stay current as you do with the more "frozen in time" distros like Mint and the Ubuntus.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

About Tumbleweed: in VirtualBox I provided 24 GB hard disk space and 4 GB RAM, via the Mini-ISO I let openSUSE install everything directly from the net.
The only interaction on my part was the specification of location and keyboard type and the desired password.
The installation is perfect, the applications are up to date - if you add Krita, Scribus and some nice fonts, you can get started graphically.

Similarly perfect, an installation worked the last time with Mint Mate 17...
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

This topic is right up your alley, and should provide plenty to chew on:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=264023

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Yes, yes - Linuxii and Distributorii and userii... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: on 7 folii... tastii differentii

Knockers knocks Linocks! There is knocking like Linocks! Oh Knock!

Return to “Non-technical Questions”