tablet-panel in Mint KDE - continued...

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Drayldan

tablet-panel in Mint KDE - continued...

Post by Drayldan »

Hiya folx,

This is kinda continuation of viewtopic.php?f=6&t=265991&p=1447213&hi ... m#p1447213 but with some info from me. So far I am unlucky Wacom-tablet user in Mint. :(

Above mentioned discussion was very interesting one. But for me it is "unsolved" state. I am owner of WACOM Intuos4 and try to use it sometimes on Linux system (besides Windows :)).

Having been quite long-time MINT KDE user I am sad it will vanish in future so no newer Mint KDE version will appear. :(
And it is so sad, as well, there is *STILL* no comfortable config-panel for tablet in Mint 18.x (just like v17 had). :(
I know, there is separate "Wacom-tablet" project, but I wasn't able to use (compile) it to run on my Mint KDE 18.3 Sylvia. And as I checked, not only myself wasn't lucky at this.

I tried PHD21's posted .deb script but got the same result as MAXANDY posted there. :(
download/file.php?id=40522&mode=view
There is something wrong inside (in the code - it says about too old files, etc.) and some warning messages appear.

Hey PHD21, could you make you handy script again? I mean it should be more recent as refers dependencies, file system etc.
Or could you write how to compile the script to .deb to use as latest one as possible (for non-programmers dudes like me ;)) ?

And I checked out your (?) tablet-finder utility, but it looks like it is unfinished or not working correctly:

I cannot set tablet keys for use, it's just didn't work. The wheel from tablet cannot be used at all.

Best regards to everybody tries to fix these issues !

maxandy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:12 am
phd21 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:03 am Hi maxandy,

You are welcome...

Did you try the new wacom tablet package?

It is unlikely with any newer computer that you would need to install a low-latency Linux Kernel, but you can and it is easy to do.

There is a jack meta package "multimedia-jack" in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" it installs all the basic "jack" sound stuff and there are a lot of other "jack" sound packages in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)".
Hey phd21,
yes I just tried the tablet package, awesome to have this panel added to my system settings, although it did not register my intuos pen yet. tablet errors.png
I have to get back on you for this, since it's getting definite tech talk now, let me try a few checkups first.
For now I will close this topic, since I am now certain that KDE is a sure thing.
much thanks for all the insights given, and still to be given :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: tablet-panel in Mint KDE - continued...

Post by Hoser Rob »

Found this from the Mint 18.2 KDE Release Notes:
Wacom tablets support
Unfortunately Plasma 5 does not support Wacom tablets yet. You can however install a KDE 4 KCM module and launch it from the terminal.

To install it, open a terminal and type:

apt install kded5 kde-config-tablet

To launch it, open a terminal and type:

qdbus org.kde.kded /kded loadModule wacomtablet

kcmshell4 kcm_wacomtablet
No mention of this in the 18.3 release notes so it should still apply.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Drayldan

Post by Drayldan »

Thanx Hoser Rob, for posting it as it fit into subject. But I think I know it already. It seems to be a temporary "fast hack" from older Mint version... so every time you start MINT, you will need to set it up (tablet keys, wheel, etc.). :|
What I look for is more stable and comfy solution. :)
And I remember when one year ago Linux Mint devs wrote on the blog that they finally bought one Wacom tablet just to make it easier to use in MINT again - on 30th March 2017 they wrote (https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3235):
Last but not least, we finally purchased a Wacom device in order to fix some of the bugs related to graphics tablets. I’d like to thank Wacom users for their patience. Sorry it took us so long. We’ll be tackling these bugs very soon now and improving Wacom support going forward.
One year passed and I can't see what would have it brought. That's too bad. :oops:
Last edited by Drayldan on Tue May 01, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI Drayldan,

I replied to your PM to me. Why another post on the same topic?

This is not my software. And as I stated before, I do not own a Wacom graphics tablet or any other graphics tablet although I would love a new Wacom tablet. So, I have no way to test this.

I went through all the effort of downloading and compiling the software for you, and for my own curiosity to see if I could compile and install it in my Linux Mint KDE 18.3 system.

I currently dual-boot Linux Mint KDE 17.3 and KDE 18.3. You could do the same and see if your Wacom tablet works in Linux Mint KDE 17.3 until a better solution is available for Linux Mint KDE 18.3.

If you manage to compile this software on your system with all its dependencies installed, like I did, the last step of that process is an installation step, so you will not need to create a Linux installation "deb" file. I created the deb file for you and others that might want to try this.

What I can suggest is that you get on the KDE bug tracker website, search for "wacom", and read their comments and perhaps make your own comments (requires registering), and see what happens. Be sure to post anything worthwhile for other KDE 18.x users.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Drayldan wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:31 pm Thanx Hoser Rob, for posting it as it fit into subject. But I think I know it already. It seems to be a temporary "fast hack" from older Mint version... so every time you start MINT, you will need to set it up (tablet keys, wheel, etc.). :|
What I look for is more stable and comfy solution. :)
And I remember when one year ago Linux Mint devs wrote on the blog that they finally bought one Wacom tablet just to make it easier to use in MINT again - on 30th March 2017 they wrote (https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3235):
Last but not least, we finally purchased a Wacom device in order to fix some of the bugs related to graphics tablets. I’d like to thank Wacom users for their patience. Sorry it took us so long. We’ll be tackling these bugs very soon now and improving Wacom support going forward.
One year passed and I can't see what would have it broght. That's too bad. :oops:
Do you realize how understaffed open source projects are?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Drayldan

Post by Drayldan »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 9:20 am Do you realize how understaffed open source projects are?
Yes, I do. But... I am really wonder why they remove the config-panel. :o It was built-in in Mint 17th KDE edition and was quite good and it worked. But now... It doesn't make any sense for me. :(
Drayldan

Post by Drayldan »

phd21 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:47 pm I replied to your PM to me.
Yeah, got it - thanks!
phd21 wrote: Why another post on the same topic?
Well, it's not exactly the same... Another topic was named "Investing in KDE waste of time?", mine is straight-to-the-point. ;)
phd21 wrote: This is not my software. And as I stated before, I do not own a Wacom graphics tablet or any other graphics tablet although I would love a new Wacom tablet. So, I have no way to test this.
Very pity! I wish you bought one soon. It is very fun in using, even smallest Wacom tablet.
phd21 wrote: I went through all the effort of downloading and compiling the software for you, and for my own curiosity to see if I could compile and install it in my Linux Mint KDE 18.3 system.
Yes and you were so close. I have installed script compiled by you without any problem. But as you may have noticed, not everything was fine and it doesn't work as expected (when trying it with real tablet).
phd21 wrote: I currently dual-boot Linux Mint KDE 17.3 and KDE 18.3. You could do the same and see if your Wacom tablet works in Linux Mint KDE 17.3 until a better solution is available for Linux Mint KDE 18.3.
Once I used Mint 17.3 and it had sufficient graphics config-panel for Wacom tablet. My tablet worked fine there. But time has come to newer Mint edition (MINT KDE 18.3 Sylvia, 64-bit edition as for now) as many programs are still (better) supported there.
It's logical, isn't it? But it's pure nonsense there isn't config-panel in MINT KDE anymore. :(
BTW. I don't have so much space to keep two MINTs in one place. For me, two Windows and one Mint is enough (stored on one SSD :)).
phd21 wrote: If you manage to compile this software on your system with all its dependencies installed, like I did, the last step of that process is an installation step, so you will not need to create a Linux installation "deb" file. I created the deb file for you and others that might want to try this.
I have failed at this unfortunately.
You have the skill.
So, could you explain step-by-step what I have to do to get the suitable .deb done? Please. I am willing to do it with a little assistance. Write it here or via PM, ok?
phd21 wrote: What I can suggest is that you get on the KDE bug tracker website, search for "wacom", and read their comments and perhaps make your own comments (requires registering), and see what happens. Be sure to post anything worthwhile for other KDE 18.x users.
I tried to do something similar in the past but wasn't glad of it. No success.

Thanks a lot for taking your time, Phil!
Drayldan

Post by Drayldan »

Hey, people!

None wants to help me anymore? :o Please... :(

There is quite updated website that *might* help in this subject - "Linux Wacom Tablet Project":
https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxwacom/
... but I don't know how to make the source(s) fit to the MINT KDE 18.3 Sylvia 64-bit, that I have.
I would be very thankful for some suggestions here, anyhow! :roll: :idea: :oops:
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Drayldan wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:48 pm Hey, people!

None wants to help me anymore? :o Please... :(...
If you're going to whine like you do above, no.
Drayldan

Post by Drayldan »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:23 pm If you're going to whine like you do above, no.
Great answer, without doubt. :o
So what else do you suggest? :roll:

Return to “Non-technical Questions”