<SOLVED>Any plans for kernel 4.16 on 18.3

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

<SOLVED>Any plans for kernel 4.16 on 18.3

Post by silvatech »

I notice kernel 4.15 showed up a couple weeks ago and have been using it with nps.

Is their plans for 4.16 in the future?

Really could not find a forum that seem appropriate for this question. I figure sense I am not need technical help just needed to know weather its planned or not. So I know how I am going to proceed.

thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Any plans for kernel 4.16 on 18.3

Post by catweazel »

silvatech wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 8:07 pm Is their plans for 4.16 in the future?
That depends on Ubuntu. You can install it now if you're prepared to take the risks.

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... inux-mint/
The mainline kernels do not include any Ubuntu-provided drivers or patches. They are not supported and are not appropriate for production use.
I recently gave up installing mainline kernels but only because the Ubuntu kernels finally caught up with my bleeding-edge kit. While I never experienced issues with a mainline kernel, it doesn't follow that you won't either. You should be ok as long as you retain at least one known good kernel to boot into if something breaks, with that something being, more than likely, proprietary video drivers and manually installed drivers.
Last edited by catweazel on Mon May 07, 2018 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Nope - for xenial based distros including 18.3 kernel 4.15 will be the last official HWE kernel and supported until xenial/18.3 hits end of life along with 4.4.

See - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Support# ... el_Support
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

smurphos wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:14 am Nope - for xenial based distros including 18.3 kernel 4.15 will be the last official HWE kernel and supported until xenial/18.3 hits end of life along with 4.4.

Thanks, @smurphos. I couldn't find that link.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech »

smurphos wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:14 am Nope - for xenial based distros including 18.3 kernel 4.15 will be the last official HWE kernel and supported until xenial/18.3 hits end of life along with 4.4.

Thanks for the information, I thought Xenial was ending on 4.16 :P. My bad on misinformation I had read or confused. Thanks for clearing that up =).
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: <SOLVED>Any plans for kernel 4.16 on 18.3

Post by JeremyB »

It also seems that the Ubuntu Kernel Update Utility(UKUU) is broken with the newer upstream kernels as they use linux-modules instead of linux-image-extra

Return to “Non-technical Questions”