Differences, in the desktop software in mints editions

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dave8671
Level 4
Level 4

Differences, in the desktop software in mints editions

Post by dave8671 »

I was asked the what the applications differences are in the editions and I realized I have no idea. So I tried to search for this information on the website and goggle with no result. IF you could point me to a website or post that has this information it would be great.

:)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Differences, in the desktop software in mints editions

Post by xenopeek »

Each desktop environment has its own menu, panel (what Windows calls taskbar), settings, file manager and terminal.

When comparing Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce that sums up the majority of the differences when looking at programs. Each of these comes with the X-Apps developed by Linux Mint (text editor, PDF reader, media player, image viewer and photo manager) and with the Linux Mint tools (Update Manager, Sofware Manager, Software Sources, Driver Manager, Login Window, Backup Tool, USB Writer and Formatter). Each also comes with Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, and so on. There are likely some few minor differences in default installed programs (like I think the calculator and music player may be different between some).

When comparing the above with KDE there are a lot of differences. For one it doesn't use the X-Apps and not all of the Linux Mint developed software. There are many differences in default installed programs though it also comes with Firefox, Thunderbird and LibreOffice for example.

Considering Linux Mint 18.3 is the last release with a KDE edition, going forward to Linux Mint 19 the differences are mostly in how the user interface to the operating system looks and behaves (the menu, the panel, the window borders and controls, the file manager).
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

The different versions do come with different applications by default, but any application is installable on any of the different desktops. XFCE comes with xfburn for burning CDs and DVDs (big surprise), while KDE comes with K3b (another big surprise, right?). So, I guess the difference is as big or as small as you want it to be.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
dave8671
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave8671 »

Thanks this helps me a great deal. Now I can list the differences. Yesterday I installed Xfce on my T500 to see the difference in speed compared to Mate. Its little faster at booting than Mate.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Cinnamon is a full blown Windows type GUI and I love it.

but, it is much slower to boot to the Desktop than the other DEs are.

and with the heavier GUI, it is somewhat slower to perform after you click on something.
this is really noticeable on PCs with a low RAM count and slower processors.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

dave8671 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:46 am Thanks this helps me a great deal. Now I can list the differences. Yesterday I installed Xfce on my T500 to see the difference in speed compared to Mate. Its little faster at booting than Mate.
Don';t install multiple desktop environments in Linux, ever. You may have caused some issues there, be prepared to reinstall.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
dave8671
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave8671 »

I never install other GUI's On my installations. And with xfce It boots faster and applications load faster. The T500 has 8GB ram this maybe why. I looked up the requirements for each of the editions how can they be the same ram requirements it seems odd?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Really the best way to compare is to just dl all the different DE versions, burn to USB stick, and test them from live boot. There's no substitute for actually using them. There are differences in hardware requirements for sure but KDE isn't nearly as heavy as it used to be and Xfce isn't as light anymore either. They all do the same thing really and it's largely a matter if taste. Some want new looking eye candy and they'll want Cinnamon most likely. I actually like things that look a lot like something from the 90s, like XFce or LXDE, yet work a lot like a Mac Though I prefer KDE myself.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Non-technical Questions”