[SOLVED]Trusted site and suggestions??

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
j1nz6

[SOLVED]Trusted site and suggestions??

Post by j1nz6 »

Hello guys, I am going to clean install Linux Mint 19 xfce (in my opinion the best DE there is) today, and I just saw this site " https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... -mint-xfce " talking about Linux Mint stuff. So I was wandering if any of you (surely most experienced on Mint than me), knew if all of this suggestions are bells and whistles or truly useful and in some cases essential!
Thanks in advance, you are awesome!! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Trusted site and suggestions??

Post by catweazel »

j1nz6 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:37 am Hello guys, I am going to clean install Linux Mint 19 xfce (in my opinion the best DE there is) today, and I just saw this site " https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... -mint-xfce " talking about Linux Mint stuff. So I was wandering if any of you (surely most experienced on Mint than me), knew if all of this suggestions are bells and whistles or truly useful and in some cases essential!
Thanks in advance, you are awesome!! :D
That's Pjotr's page and highly recommended. It's a very good resource.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

YES - - Forum member Pjotr is well known in this Forum.
:)
and so is the LinuxMint suggestions, that he has.
- recently updated, to LM19, as well.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I'd take it with a grain of salt. Just looking over it, right side:
- remove save session - ok, but personally I love that feature
- remove mono, because it's based on something originally developed by Microsoft - whatever lol
- disable hibernation - it's not enabled by default in Mint 19
- install chrome from external source - found that very funny after the Microsoft hate

Stopped reading there. So yeah. Mint 19 works fine out of the box (my only pet-peeve is drivers for hardware accelerated video on intel integrated graphics not getting installed by default, but he doesn't even mention that), I'd say get a feel for it before you consider modifying things.

PS: Oh and left side advice vs installing the spectre/meltdown microcode updates, that's outright dangerous advice (and luckily impossibly advice with the latest kernel packages, thank you Ubuntu).
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:04 am I'd take it with a grain of salt. Just looking over it, right side:
- remove mono, because it's based on something originally developed by Microsoft - whatever lol
- install chrome from external source - found that very funny after the Microsoft hate

Stopped reading there.
In broad, general terms, the site is good for newcomers, despite some controversial opinions that the pragmatic amongst us don't worry about. For example, there's no harm in removing mono and it will be reinstalled if a user ever install an application that relies on it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gm10 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:04 am I'd take it with a grain of salt.
Of course. They're one person's personal preferences. That is stated clearly in the disclaimer, which is well hidden: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... disclaimer
Nevertheless, while there are things on that site which I never do and would not recommend, and things that go against my personal preferences, I don't think there is a lot that would get a newcomer into trouble. So I would not discourage any newcomer from using that site.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

gm10 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:04 am I'd take it with a grain of salt. Just looking over it, right side:
- install chrome from external source - found that very funny after the Microsoft hate....
I think you misunderstood, it's not Microsoft hate. It's more pragmatic than that :wink: .

That's one of the best blogs for newbies around. Most blogs are absolute rubbish, that one isn't.

Yes, I don;t agree with everything there ... for example, reducing swappiness to 10 or 5 isn't necessarily correct, you should experiment, and I don't change the vms cache pressure. But those are minor things.

As with any Linux resource, the most important thins is to actually read it, not just sort of read it. It's like painting exteriors. It'll say on the can that you need at least 10 degrees C. for it to dry. That means a low of 10, but many guys just sort of read it and paint when the HIGH temp is 10. So the paint never dries correctly and when it starts to go after a couple of years, of course the guy blames the paint.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Non-technical Questions”