[SOLVED]Laggy Mint 19 (xfce)

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
j1nz6

[SOLVED]Laggy Mint 19 (xfce)

Post by j1nz6 »

Okay, so I hate to be that guy, but I have to tell this! I was waiting for Linux Mint 19 like there was no tomorrow (I use xfce DE by the way), and then it came out (the official release, not the BETA version). But when I tried it on my laptop, I found it laggy in many ways, not something big, but I surely could see the small problems. For example, when I was selecting a wide space on my desktop, the "green square" was staying there, although I was not touching my touchpad, and for a second example when I was trying to configure the clock (and date) on my panel, and changing the format, and then closing the window, the clock was disappearing every single time, also the terminal was laggy too. So I came back to the Linux Mint 18.3 (xfce), that runs perfect (on the same laptop).
I am not complaining and sure I will wait for Mint 19 to improve a little more and maybe try them again after a while, but am I the only one who had those troubles??
Thanks in advance! :D

UPDATE: I changed to LM 19 MATE, and everything woeks fine, so I don't thing there's something wrong with my hardware... For now I'm staying with MATE
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Laggy Mint 19

Post by MrEen »

I have not upgraded (yet) but I have seen reports of some of what you posted. Especially the clock I can remember. Too tired to see if there was any resolution right now, but I'm sure someone else will chime in soon.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I haven't tried the Xfce version but have no lag on MATE and Cinnamon.

I'm sure some Xfce users will come along and give you the details on that one, in particular if you edit your first post and add Xfce to the thread subject (hint).
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

That's probably hardware dependent. No Mint 19 Xfce lag on any of my machines.

For a quick fix, try this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/3

For a full analysis, please generate an overview of your system like this:
- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);
- make the terminal window full screen, to avoid chopped lines;
- Copy/paste this command into the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I 'fixed' my clock by installing xfce4-goodies and adding to the panel the second clock and calendar in the list (the first clock is the same one that crashed) and adjusting it to the size I wanted. I actually removed the calendar portion of the app. And you can delete the remnant of the old clock which is still in the right corner of your panel.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Laggy Mint 19 (xfce)

Post by Hoser Rob »

You need to copy/paste the text output of inxi -Fxz as pjotr suggests above. Though I doubt his speed tweaks will help you until you fix it ... they're not intended to fix misbehavior per se. BTW, on old hardware don't assume newer Linux releases will work faster and/or better.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED]Laggy Mint 19 (xfce)

Post by benali72 »

I ran into this same problem. Out of 5 upgrades to Mint 19 / Xfce (from Mint 17), 3 were laggy.

For example, if you played AisleRiot solitaire, when you moved a card on the screen, it might "stick" for a second or two before moving. Usable, but disturbing if you're used to the traditional quick interactive response of Xfce.

I applied updates over the next couple weeks and the problem went away for 2 of the boxes (the newer kernel 4.15.0-32 seemed to fix them, or perhaps the xorg update). One machine still has this problem. I'll report back when I have access to it next week. My guess is that simply applying all outstanding updates will fix it, too.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

benali72 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:29 am I'll report back when I have access to it next week.
Please don't hijack someone else's thread.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Post by benali72 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:34 am
benali72 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:29 am I'll report back when I have access to it next week.
Please don't hijack someone else's thread.
OP stated that his/her laptop was laggy, specifically "I found it laggy in many ways, not something big, but I surely could see the small problems..."

This is what I am responding to. I'm sorry but I don't see how this is "hijacking someone else's thread."
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

benali72 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:17 pm ... I don't see how this is "hijacking someone else's thread."
Then perhaps you might read the forum rules.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”