Mint 19 Cinnamon HiDPI

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pedronell88

Mint 19 Cinnamon HiDPI

Post by pedronell88 »

Hello,
I´m planning on buying a Thinkpad X1C G6 with the WQHD HDR screen. I wanted to know If anyone here has tried Mint 19 Cinnamon with HiDPI screens and how has it worked with scaling in different apps? To my understanding Cinnamon has good HiDPI support and there shouldn´t be a problem, but wanted to know what experiences people have had.
Thank!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
OveS
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 19 Cinnamon HiDPI

Post by OveS »

I have the same question :-)

I would not have asked in the "Non-technical" category, though. Isn't this a very technical issue?
--
Minisforum X400 (AMD Ryzen 4350G, 16/512GB)
MacBook Air M1 --- iPad Air 5th Gen
Raspberry Pi 4 4GB (NextcloudPi server)
nkoropoff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nkoropoff »

I have both a Thinkpad X1C G2 and now a Thinkcenter M710q that I have used with both a Samsung 590D and an AOC 3277 in 4K mode with zero issues on Cinnamon. Being as I am over 60 years old I have had to make scaling adjustments to compensate for my less than stellar eyesight but otherwise my experience has been great.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Cinnamon itself, along with the tools created by us, support HiDPI quite well. There are things to keep in mind though. One is that it only supports integer scaling. So if you buy a 13" screen with a 3840x2160 res it will be an effective 1920x1080. That can be quite small. Not really Cinnamon's fault but we've had a few complaints from users because they essentially made a poor purchasing decision :)

Most apps work well but some do not. It depends on the toolkit they are written in. Some that don't work well because they are still gtk2 are gimp, inkscape, shutter, and hexchat.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

not sure why that would be a poor purchasing decision. I have an LG 72". Definitely needed the HiDPI display option as everything was microscopic. I am having a problem with the AMD generic open drivers on a radeon APU in that the scaling isn't quite right with no options to tweak it as would be usual in windows and was doable with fglrx proprietary driver.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
pedronell88

Post by pedronell88 »

OveS wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:50 am I have the same question :-)

I would not have asked in the "Non-technical" category, though. Isn't this a very technical issue?
I dk, I though the technical category was more for when you have an actual technical issue that needs to be resolved? Might be wrong though.
pedronell88

Post by pedronell88 »

JosephM wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:39 pm Cinnamon itself, along with the tools created by us, support HiDPI quite well. There are things to keep in mind though. One is that it only supports integer scaling. So if you buy a 13" screen with a 3840x2160 res it will be an effective 1920x1080. That can be quite small. Not really Cinnamon's fault but we've had a few complaints from users because they essentially made a poor purchasing decision :)

Most apps work well but some do not. It depends on the toolkit they are written in. Some that don't work well because they are still gtk2 are gimp, inkscape, shutter, and hexchat.
I see, gimp is one of the main applications I would be using, what would be the problems I could expect say in a 14" 2560 x 1440 screen? As a reference I don´t mind small icons too much and large work-area for me is a plus as I need to compare a lot of documents side to side in a "mobile way" so need to be able to rely on my laptop's screen as opposed to just having an external monitor.
pedronell88

Post by pedronell88 »

nkoropoff wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:12 pm I have both a Thinkpad X1C G2 and now a Thinkcenter M710q that I have used with both a Samsung 590D and an AOC 3277 in 4K mode with zero issues on Cinnamon. Being as I am over 60 years old I have had to make scaling adjustments to compensate for my less than stellar eyesight but otherwise my experience has been great.
Good to know thanks, what screen did you have in your X1C? How did it look?
nkoropoff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nkoropoff »

I used the Samsung with the Thinkpad. In order to get the 4K resolution I needed to use the X1's HDMI port which supported 4K but at 30 Hz. It looked just fine to me. I now use the AOC with my ThinkCentre M710q. The M710 only has a displayport output (way I ordered it) but it supports 4K at 60 Hz. I use the X1C now as an actual laptop with its built in 2K LCD panel.
pedronell88

Post by pedronell88 »

nkoropoff wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:32 pm I used the Samsung with the Thinkpad. In order to get the 4K resolution I needed to use the X1's HDMI port which supported 4K but at 30 Hz. It looked just fine to me. I now use the AOC with my ThinkCentre M710q. The M710 only has a displayport output (way I ordered it) but it supports 4K at 60 Hz. I use the X1C now as an actual laptop with its built in 2K LCD panel.
Ok perfect.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”