Does anybody still use DVDs?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Post by benali72 »

With the advances in size and speed with usb pen drives, I'm just wondering...

Cast your vote!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Does anybody still use DVDs?

Post by catweazel »

benali72 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:18 pm Does anybody still use DVDs?

With the advances in size and speed with usb pen drives, I'm just wondering...

Cast your vote!
I have a DVD/BluRay reader writer plugged in but it's been unused for a couple of years now.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Well if I was going to give someone a copy of Linux and he doesn't have a flash drive, then I will give him a DVD copy. I do watch DVD movies once in a while from Redbox.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Don't use these days. I have double stacks of unused dvd -r and +r, and maybe 25 dvd re-writables.
They are lonely, unused, and mostly forgotten.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Post by benali72 »

Interesting comment about Redbox. DVDs can still be useful for movies, but even then I suppose some day we'll all be downloading them from Netflix rather than renting the optical drive.

I like having a DVD reader available, even if I don't use it much. The exception would be if I have a very small laptop, then maybe it's wasted weight. But for a desktop or regular size laptop, you might as well have one.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

+1
I like having a DVD reader available, even if I don't use it much. The exception would be if I have a very small laptop, then maybe it's wasted weight. But for a desktop or regular size laptop, you might as well have one.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

all41 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:59 pm +1
As an aside, DVD readers/writers are handy in laptops. You can rip them out and insert a caddy with an SSD to boot from or add a large capacity HDD for data. Compared to the horror of opening and dismantling a laptop to fit a bigger or better disk, not to mention the risk of damage, the cost of as caddy (around $US10) is nothing.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I have a tablet without optical. Every thing else (6) has at least read capability.
Although there are still proponents for optical discs, I no longer fit that profile.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I still use DVDs, not much but probably more than the average user.
Hey all41, how about sending me all your forgotten DVDs? :wink:
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I am certain I will be using DVDs and CDs for a long time. At the first of the year I helped a local non-profit clean out a storage closet, and saved 12 stacks of DVDs and 8 stacks of CDs from the trash heap.

I primarily use them to archive photographs. Most of my shoots are around 200 images, and a single DVD can hold 200 RAW images, a contact print, and a descriptive text file. I use CDs for smaller shoots.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
gm10

Post by gm10 »

benali72 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:18 pm Does anybody still use DVDs?
It's what I asked when I bought my current laptop, which has an optical drive. I haven't touched a DVD in many many years.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Don't use them much but sometimes. I certainly wouldn't be without an external DVD writer.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Schultz wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:36 am I still use DVDs, not much but probably more than the average user.
Hey all41, how about sending me all your forgotten DVDs? :wink:
Hey all41, - - has to share those DVDs amongst us lot, that are still using them Y'know. .
:D
BenTrabetere wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:28 am I am certain I will be using DVDs and CDs for a long time. At the first of the year I helped a local non-profit clean out a storage closet, and saved 12 stacks of DVDs and 8 stacks of CDs from the trash heap. .
Nicely Scored :!:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Last time I tried my DVD drive in my lappy does not seem to be Linux friendly. It werked in Windows but no joy in Linux. Inxi -Fxzd shows the drive but nemo or any other app that addresses the device will not address it. Problem is, I use it so rarely, I've not even bothered to attempt to resolve the issue. So, in reality, NO.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Not for over two years
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

Yup. I do. Quite a lot of content I follow only comes out in DVD/Blu-ray and if it is available streaming tends to be only a short time. So if I want something that I know I'll want to re-watch in the future or don't have to make sure to watch as soon as it is available. I do that way.

That said I do follow quite a few streaming services.

I'll admit for the DVDs I rip them to my computer for watching since I can stop and resume movies later much more easier on my desktop than directly on the DVD.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Not nearly as much as I used to. Very rarely for movies and not so much for computer.
GlennJohnson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GlennJohnson »

I haven't used a DVD for several years now. At least not as they relate to burning ISO's etc. Nothing computer related. I use thumb drives any time I can, which is almost always.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Yes, so my wife can watch Bones, and Castle on her laptop.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Sure, we make DVD wind spinners using 4 fishing barrel swivels and 4 DVDs and 25# monofilament fishing line. Lots of wind at 11,000ft. elevation.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

Return to “Non-technical Questions”