unneeded apps [SOLVED]

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jarp53
Level 3
Level 3

unneeded apps [SOLVED]

Post by jarp53 »

so for what i understand is that one does not uninstall apps because they may use support files that are also use by other apps ; if this is correct i can simply keep them from showing up by unchecked them from menu editor, but to make my system light, can i blacklist them in update manager or is that not a good idea for the sake of those support files that the apps use ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: unneeded apps

Post by Pierre »

you can simply keep them from showing up by unchecked them from menu editor,
and to make your system light, you can also blacklist them in update manager ..
& that will work, but you really don't need to play with the Linux Settings that much,
as it is already much lighter that System that came with your machine.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: unneeded apps [SOLVED]

Post by smurphos »

If it's installed keep it updated...if you don't need it uninstall it.

There is no reason not to remove unneeded applications as long as it is done with care. Whichever method you use for uninstall the system will warn you if additional packages will be removed as a result because of dependencies. If it does take a step back. If you are not sure what an obscure package is doing on the system leave it alone.

Using apt remove -s <package name> will simulate removal.

E.g. removing Firefox is safe as only Firefox will be removed.

Code: Select all

steve@steve-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC:~$ apt remove -s firefox
[sudo] password for steve: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED
  firefox
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 1 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
Remv firefox [61.0.1+linuxmint1+tara]
but removing flatpak support isn't as it will take some mint core-components with it.

Code: Select all

steve@steve-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC:~$ apt remove -s flatpak
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED
  flatpak mint-meta-cinnamon mint-meta-core mintinstall
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 4 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
Remv mint-meta-cinnamon [2018.06.08]
Remv mint-meta-core [2018.06.08]
Remv mintinstall [7.9.5]
Remv flatpak [0.11.7-0ubuntu0.1]
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

What do you have in mind when you talk about making your system 'light'?

Unused applications do not use memory, they just use a little bit of storage.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jarp53
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jarp53 »

Is that i don't use a lot of apps ( for instance: chromium, fire fox, Thunderbird ) so I don't see the need for update manager to continue to add more stuff if the my system don't need it , I still have 20 GB left in the hard drive for this system , but I just think that the less unneeded the better
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

jarp53 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:25 pm Is that i don't use a lot of apps ( for instance: chromium, fire fox, Thunderbird ) so I don't see the need for update manager to continue to add more stuff if the my system don't need it , I still have 20 GB left in the hard drive for this system , but I just think that the less unneeded the better
Update Manager usually doesn't "add more stuff" when it does an update of installed packages. What it usually does is to replace packages. This may cause a slight increase in the amount of disk space used, but with 20GB still available on your system, you'll not notice the difference.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

srq2625 is on the money - updates to existing packages will rarely take up more space*

Firefox and Thunderbird are fine to remove. if you haven't installed the full Chromium browser the Chromium updates you see in Update Manager are only for a Chromoim component - the package chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra. This is installed as part of the codecs meta package and is used by other apps. You do want it and you do want it updated.... :D

* the exception to updates not taking up more space are kernel updates. You do want kernel updates - they are generally security related, but each new kernel does take up a significant amount of extra space. It's good practise to use the Update Manager (via view > kernels) to remove older kernels on a fairly regular basis just keeping the kernel in use and one older 'backup' kernel.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
jarp53
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jarp53 »

thanks you all, you just confirm the reason why I use Linux as my main OS , a much better support team that the other two OS's that i have
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

jarp53 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:23 pm so for what i understand is that one does not uninstall apps because they may use support files that are also use by other apps ...
There's some truth to that, which is why it's advised when installing or removing Linux software, there will be a list of apps that will be deleted if you continue. You need to actually READ that stuff. If I see a list of software to be removed and it looks important or I don't understand it, I abort.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
jarp53
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jarp53 »

got it

Return to “Non-technical Questions”