The Face of Linux Mint Support

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
idle

Re: The Face of Linux Mint Support

Post by idle »

Just to clarify I was NOT talking about Linux Mint forums. This place, as far as I'm concerned, is a gift that should be vehemently protected, except when it comes to Windows users ... :P
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

rene wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:12 pmYou in that case need to study non-human animals longer: all social interaction is fully hierarchy-based and for a very large majority of species very violently so. Only homo sapiens has --- to some degree, in some places and under non-demanding circumstances --- managed to lessen that a bit; to "civilise itself".
Lol. In an absolute, long-term sense, this probably scores us well below the rest of the animal kingdom on the "suitability scale." P*ss off a cape buffalo (an herbivore :lol: ), and your next of kin will be in mourning for a while, of course - but its herd isn't then going to raze your community. It's just... Like being a child (in a proper environment, I mean), sort of. Do something bad, get spanked, get on with life. If we were more like the rest of the animals, we'd never have invented the nuclear weapon, because while we'd probably still - as a species - be destructive, we wouldn't be "mass destructive."

Tigers, sharks, pit vipers, and all the rest of the "fierce" animals, even if you could find a way to increase their intelligence to the point where they technically could... You'd still never find a single one of them posting passive-aggressive garbage in the comments section of YouTube videos, et cetera.

The addiction of sitting safely behind a computer and pseudo-anonymously sniping at everyone seems to be a uniquely human trait. I'm just a poor, uneducated hillbilly - but even I am intelligent enough to know that if people in general acted "in the real world" like they did over the Internet, well, we wouldn't have nearly the population problem that we do now, I'll just put it like that. Yes, there are lots of decent people - but you've got to go with the average :lol: :roll: .

Me... I can be a bit of an... a hind-end from time to time. But that's not my Internet persona, lol, that's just me. I do try to overcome it, and actually am probably thought to be somewhat more civil (like I stated, one must go with averages) in my Internet interactions than in the meat world. I take advantage of the "non-live" aspect to, ah, keep calm and carry on, as and when I can.

But I still have my moments, just like anyone does. And none of the above even takes into account the possibility of miscommunication/misunderstanding caused by the medium of communication (Internet).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:50 am [ ... ] but its herd isn't then going to raze your community.
That is of course rather easily recast as said herd simply not guving a fick. And especially since pan troglodytes definitely will...

Human society is a monkey mound: relative position is to be improved either by climbing up yourself or by putting others down. Given size or potential size of internet-based social circles, opportunities for former are severely or at least more clearly limited than homo troglodytes is used to, hence latter runs rampant. Projecting an image of former by disavowing latter is what conversely the opposing forces of hyper-correctness are all about.

Personally, I'll just sit here and eat a banana.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Being shot down in flames is not a nice experience and does happen even on here. I know in the recent instance my reply wasn't exactly helpful (or relevant, admittedly) but was intended to be friendly and to keep interest in that thread; the response wasn't from the OP in that thread, either. The reply was also made about 5 months on from my comment. :roll:

One has to be thick-skinned even on here, sometimes. :(

Those sort of responses are not only unnecessary but put people off from helping even when they know how to sort an issue or even after they've subsequently found out how to do so.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Non-technical Questions”