HP 14-ck0100ng + LM19 = ???

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Casix

HP 14-ck0100ng + LM19 = ???

Post by Casix »

First of all: Great forum, thanks in advance for any help I might get and for your work here in general!

2nd - well, I DO get you being cautious about trolling and stuff, but this
[13] Private Message (PM)
• Do not PM or e-mail forum members for support questions without prior consent. Those who help do so in their free time, and prefer to respond to topics of choice rather than being singled out.
and this
Compose message
We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more in discussions to be able to use this feature.
seems to be just that liiiiiittle bit over the top..?

Kinda forced me to open this topic, when all I originally INTENDED to do, was to kindly ask user @iotaa, whether you have encountered any other issues with the HP 14-ck0100ng (other than the [SOLVED?] WiFi-thing), because I consider buying it and installing Mint. So, obviously I would highly appreciate a reply from you, iotaa. But since we now have a dedicated topic, I look forward to any related input or advice.

Thank you all in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: HP 14-ck0100ng + LM19 = ???

Post by catweazel »

Casix wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:42 pm seems to be just that liiiiiittle bit over the top..?
It doesn't seem that way to me. I don't like receiving PMs from people I don't know. Getting them from regulars whom I work with isn't an issue. The text above is fair. Don't PM me for support. The only beneficiary of support via PM is the person receiving the support, not the rest of the community because they can't see what the problem or its resolution was.

As for not being able to access features on the forum, that's also fair. It's been a never-ending job for the moderators and admins to deal with spammers.

Of course, your opinion might be completely different, in which case you're free to go elsewhere.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Casix.

Quite obviously you are not only permitted to compose a message, but you are permitted to create a whole new thread.
To me this suggests that you may have tried to compose a message in some read-only part of the forum, when you were told you might not be permitted to do so.

I cannot see any good reason why you should not be permitted to [post a reply] in this thread: no wifi after installing mint 19 cinnamon on HP-14-ck0100ng notebook. I suppose this might be the thread which you had in mind when mentioning user iotaa.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Casix

Post by Casix »

catweazel wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:48 amOf course, your opinion might be completely different, in which case you're free to go elsewhere.
Nice. I hope, your life changes for the better soon, so you don't have to be so bitter anymore. Have a beautiful day. :)
karlchen wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:00 am[...] you may have tried to compose a message in some read-only part of the forum [...]
I intended to PM iotaa, because
[2] New Questions Deserve New Topics
Do not add new questions to existing topics, start your own instead! This will make it easier for other members to provide support. This includes hijacking, do not ask unrelated questions in a user's existing support topic.
Do not resurrect support topics older than 6 months, outdated information can cause issues with newer releases.
Plus: I felt, a new topic might not be justified for a pretty specific question to basically one user.

You're right about the rest of the matter. What prevented me from doing just that was - well, see above... Anyway - just tried to behave well! No offense intended. Thanks for being kind, I'll just post in that other thread as well, then. :)
Last edited by Casix on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Casix wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:55 pm
catweazel wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:48 amOf course, your opinion might be completely different, in which case you're free to go elsewhere.
Nice. I hope, your life changes for the better soon, so you don't have to be so bitter anymore. Have a beautiful day. :)
lol it's a plain statement of fact.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Opening a new topic is the intended behaviour, and it's in your best interest. Why bet on asking only one user, when there may be other people who can help you and now have a chance to see your topic?

It's a new question, in every sense of the word. It deserves a new topic, as you read in the rules. (And then you somehow concluded that you should not do this, and send a PM instead. I'm not sure why.)
This is exactly the kind of questions that this forum was intended for. And if you get good answers, they are out there for the world to see, instead of buried in one person's inbox. Asking questions is a way to contribute to the community! I bet you had not thought of it that way yet. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Casix

Post by Casix »

Well, your colleague suggested, I should just have posted a reply in the original thread (which I did by now...). So, there seems to be SOME room for difference of opinion.

As for the "Why?" part: Imagine, I get no answers or people advise against the HP. I open a topic for LENOVO XYZ. Same result. So I open a topic for ACER abc. Inconclusive. So I ... You get, where I'm going. I've been in forums for more than a quarter of a century now and USUALLY you are NOT supposed to open up topics as if there is no tomorrow.

I am perfectly willing to learn how the game is played here and - as stated - I am VERY! grateful for your work. But that this is all obvious with no margin for error just doesn't hold true, I'm sorry.

Anyway, I will be thrilled, should I get a ton of input here. But I don't expect it, to be honest... Had I had a chance to contact iotaa, on the other hand, my question might have been already answered. I still would choose PM in a case like this. But I won't in THIS forum, of course! Promise! :wink:
Last edited by Casix on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Casix wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:17 pm As for the "Why?" part: Imagine, I get no answers or people advice against the HP. I open a topic for LENOVO XYZ. Same result. So I open a topic for ACER abc. Inconclusive. So I ... You get, where I'm going. I've been in forums for more than a quarter of a century now and USUALLY you are NOT supposed to open up topics as if there is no tomorrow.
Well, we may be different here in that respect... I'm not sure! I don't use all that many other forums. But hey, now you have posted in the other thread *and* started a new thread... double chances! 8)

I assume you searched the forum. Don't forget to also throw the laptop of your interest into your favourite search engine, and add interesting terms like 'linux', 'mint' and 'ubuntu'. If it runs Ubuntu, I'll eat my nicest hat if it won't also run Mint. And I really like that hat.

Generally:
MOST laptops work well with Mint. Avoid the very latest models though. Avoid Arm processors. Dell is a good and Linux-friendly brand. Most Lenovos work well. Thinkpads work great! Acers tend to be finicky because of their UEFI implementation. I'd avoid. Samsung, Toshiba: some good options there.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Casix

Post by Casix »

Thanks a lot for your advice! I might go with LENOVO (again), if the HP turns out not to be a viable option. Probably could re-use my power supplies that way... :?

Bummer, that I have kinda set my mind to this HP thingy.

EDIT: Most budget LENOVOs these days seem to feature a different power supply anyway (as compared to my fried '09 ThinkPad). So that doesn't appear to be an issue, after all. HP gains... :)
Casix

Post by Casix »

Casix wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:17 pm Anyway, I will be thrilled, should I get a ton of input here. But I don't expect it, to be honest... Had I had a chance to contact iotaa, on the other hand, my question might have been already answered. I still would choose PM in a case like this.
Not a si-hi-hingle aaaanswer... :mrgreen:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Then no one here knows. Unfortunate, but it happens. Any chance you can go to a brick&mortar store and ask the slightly cheeky question whether they'd let you boot one from an USB drive? Bigger stores generally have a demo machine...

When my mother recently wanted to buy a Lenovo Ideapad, she went to a store and lucked into a salesdude who used Ubuntu at home and was amazed and happy to hear her say she wanted to install Mint on the thing. He told her it should not be a problem. The Ideapad is now running Mint 19 and doing fine.

Casix

Post by Casix »

Really? No issues whatsoever..? WiFi, printer, USB, hibernation, touchpad - nothing..? Maybe I should just buy that one, then!

Do you know the exact model?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It's the Lenovo Ideapad 120S-14IAP 81A500JEMH. A 14" machine, rather affordable. Not very sturdy, but she will not be carrying it around much.
Wifi worked out of the box. Printing, I don't know but that's not really depending on the computer I think. USB and touchpad are fine. Hibernation, she doesn't use (but suspend works fine).

Casix

Post by Casix »

Thanks for the tip. Anyway, I decided to stick with the HP choice for now and have not yet given up the hope for some input.

Any information is still hugely appreciated! :)
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Check out the processor and what family it's from. A bit of googling suggests it's Gemini Lake which is a new processor family and so might not have great support form the kernel in Mint.

Here are search results for Gemini Lake on the forum

search.php?keywords=Gemini+lake&terms=a ... mit=Search

General rule of thumb - look for a machine that was on the market around 6 months prior to the release date of your intended Linux distribution. So for Mint 19 late 2017 Your HP was released June 18
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”