Debian symbol in synaptic manager mint 19

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Commodore 64
Level 1
Level 1

Debian symbol in synaptic manager mint 19

Post by Commodore 64 »

This may be a trivial question but all of my computer learning has been self taught through trial and error. I have noticed that several updates in Mint 19 show the Debian symbol when I look them up on synaptic package manager. I use update manager (1 & 2) which does not show the symbol. When I do not recognize the update I go to synaptic to see if it is an installed application, if not then I ignore the update. I do not remember this being the case in Mint 17.3 and 18.3 which I also run on separate hard drives. Is this something that started in Mint 19 or did I just not notice this before.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Debian symbol in synaptic manager mint 19

Post by Hoser Rob »

You don't specify what package so it's hard to tell really, and I don't use 19.

However, it's not inconceivable that you could have a Debian sourced package in a Ubuntu based distro. Ubuntiu is Debian based. That woulldn't concern me in itself.

Also, Linux doesn't use enormous monolithic system files like Windows, it's much more modular. Even on a brand new clean install you'll probably have more than 100,000 files and folders. It's not possible to keep up with all those system file names. I regularly get updates for programs I've never heard of before.

You're not wrong to be concerned about your sources but I'd just suggest the same I'd do to any beginner. Use the standard repos, only use 3rd party sources when really necessary. Just wanting the latest version of everything doesn't really qualify as necessary. I only use 3rd party sources for Chrome and a couple of other apps.

And if you really have to have the newest everything, as some do, a Linux lkong term support distro isn't going to give you that. For that you need a true rolling release distro. But beginners aren't going to have much luck keeping those stable. In Linux you're always trading off stability and new software.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
gm10

Re: Debian symbol in synaptic manager mint 19

Post by gm10 »

Commodore 64 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:22 pm Is this something that started in Mint 19 or did I just not notice this before.
If you have questions about icons you can check Help > Icon Legend. The exact icon depends on your desktop theme. It should be an Ubuntu logo but some themes but the Debian one. It denotes packages supported by Ubuntu (when Mint claims 5 years of support that actually refers to Ubuntu's support and only applies to a small subset of the package).

Return to “Non-technical Questions”