(SOLVED) Thoughts And Opinions on Aptik

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrGrimm

(SOLVED) Thoughts And Opinions on Aptik

Post by MrGrimm »

anyone use aptik? if so can you give me your opinions about it. thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Thoughts And Opinions on Aptik

Post by trytip »

i never used it and never plan on using it.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi MrGrimm,

I really like the "Aptik" application and I use it frequently.

See this recent post.

Best way to Backup and Restore Mint and Data - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=245350

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I will let Phil guide you on this,

but I have used it extensively to make clones of my installs on different PC makes and models that all have the same 18.3 OS installed on them.

it is a terrific tool to have, if for some reason, your PC takes a dump and you have to do a fresh install.

1) install OS
2) run Aptik ( backup file must be on an extUSB HDD )

Job 1 done...
all of your preferences and apps are in place and ready to use.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

trytip wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:25 pm i never used it and never plan on using it.
then you should of stayed out of the thread.
phd21 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:49 pm Hi MrGrimm,

I really like the "Aptik" application and I use it frequently.

See this recent post.

Best way to Backup and Restore Mint and Data - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=245350

Hope this helps ...
thanks for the helpful information, much appreciated
AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:53 pm I will let Phil guide you on this,

but I have used it extensively to make clones of my installs on different PC makes and models that all have the same 18.3 OS installed on them.

it is a terrific tool to have, if for some reason, your PC takes a dump and you have to do a fresh install.

1) install OS
2) run Aptik ( backup file must be on an extUSB HDD )

Job 1 done...
all of your preferences and apps are in place and ready to use.
o.k. on point 2 all you need to do is point aptik to where you saved the backup files. pretty sure it does not have to be drive type specific like in my case downloads - torrents/mint backups/aptik/. on point 1 a friend wants to put in mint can this be use to give him what i have installed under whatever username he chooses? thanks
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi MrGrimm,
MrGrimm wrote:o.k. on point 2 all you need to do is point aptik to where you saved the backup files. pretty sure it does not have to be drive type specific like in my case downloads - torrents/mint backups/aptik/. on point 1 a friend wants to put in mint can this be use to give him what i have installed under whatever username he chooses? thanks
If you do not backup your "Home, Users, Group, mounts" folders during the Aptik backup, then you can archive the whole Aptik backup, and email it, upload or transfer it using various methods, etc... to someone else that has the same edition and version of Linux Mint, and they should be able to extract it then use Aptik to point to that Aptik backup folder and restore it and have all, or most of, the applications and customizations that you have. If you have some applications (Java apps, AppImages, etc...) installed manually in other folders, like an "apps" or "applications" folder in your home folder, then you can send that separately.

Send large files up to 5GB for free
https://transfer.pcloud.com/

Hope this helps ...
Aptik_1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

phd21 cool thanks for the added info, and the link to pcloud. what's the story on encrypted home?
Last edited by MrGrimm on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi MrGrimm,

You are welcome...

The encrypted home folder is for when you backup your system for yourself which includes all the home folder's hidden configuration and other folders that you would not want others to access.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

o.k. so for my personal use i can unckeck that then?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

www.WeTransfer.com is also useful
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi MrGrimm,
MrGrimm wrote:o.k. so for my personal use i can unckeck that then?
Yes, if it let's you...
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

phd21 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:31 am Hi MrGrimm,
MrGrimm wrote:o.k. so for my personal use i can unckeck that then?
Yes, if it let's you...
??????
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi MrGrimm,

Previous versions of Aptik would always force encryption on the Home folder if that is selected. I have not checked this version to see if that is optional now. It should not matter whether your Aptik Home folder is encrypted or not because it works.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

cool thanks, i'll leave as is then.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Aptik is one of two programs I use for backing up and restoring. I like a backup of the backup.

Aptik is great for doing a complete backing up and restoring of the same version (18.3 to 18.3). I'm upgrading my desktop from 18.3 Cinnamon to 19 Xfce. I'm using Aptik only for a listing of what was backed up, but I won't use the restore option because 18.3 and 19 have different file needs and especially going from Cinnamon to Xfce.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=282150

the following WITH screenshots is posted on github. ideas on fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

https://github.com/teejee2008/aptik/issues/26

Code: Select all

**Describe the bug**
i am actually not sure what cause the issue, but i cannot do a proper aptik backup. i looked for away to save the output to file so i can post it but was unable to do so.

**Expected behavior**
expected aptik to do a 9.8 to 10.?? gig backup, but there is only 245.8 megs backed up.

**Screenshots**
If applicable, add screenshots to help explain your problem.

**System:**
 - Linux Distribution Name: Mint 19
 - Desktop: Cinnamon
 - Application Version:18.8

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

MrGrimm wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:57 pm
trytip wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:25 pm i never used it and never plan on using it.
Well, you did ask for thought and opinions... even though this one could have been better founded.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

Moem wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:29 pm
MrGrimm wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:57 pm
Well, you did ask for thought and opinions... even though this one could have been better founded.
i noticed trythetip didn't bother to come back.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

MrGrimm wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:43 pm i noticed trythetip didn't bother to come back.
Why should he?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

MrGrimm wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:43 pm i noticed trythetip didn't bother to come back.
Doesn't matter. It's a technical discussion, not a competition... you can't win a discussion. Well, you can, in one way: by learning something new. In that way, we can all win.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Non-technical Questions”