'Final stable' version?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: 'Final stable' version?

Post by rene »

smurphos wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:24 am I've got a hunch that Cinnamon as a whole base memory use (due to the 3D graphics requirements) might be more sensitive to display resolution, number of active monitors, graphics hardware etc than other DEs. These tests were conducted with a 1366 x 768 display.
Ah, thanks for that; that hadn't occurred to me. All my own tests both directly on hardware as well as in VirtualBox are basically always at 1920x1080. Also the KDE ones though, so I'm still impressed by the steps it's taking to become a little less resource hungry (now if it would only do something structurally as well about some of its painfully slow native applications...)
tekklinux

Post by tekklinux »

BG405 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:24 pm
Pierre wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:21 am I'm still loathe to waste an Windows Licence Key, that could be re-used, on that Laptop,
so- we'll see what happens.
Is the key tied to that machine? I felt that way too for a while but never got round to setting up a new Windows installation. One of the keys (an Anytime Upgrade key) has actually been used on more than one machine & I'm tempted to pass it on to a mate if he still needs it, as it's unlikely I ever will now. I'll keep the retail one though for use in a VM (at some point).

Win10 would be a downgrade for me anyway as both keys are for Win7 Ultimate. :(
I have had all LInux OS PC's for about 7 years now except for one Win7. It's an i5 and I recently tried Win10 on it - took about 5 hours. Putting aside the awful user interface and Edge crashing on me, and trying to be objective - it was obvious to me that the machine was struggling - there were delays in performance that could be felt and seen. I put Win 7 back on it so I have one Win PC in the house, but I'll never use anything but Linux. Imagine trying to run Win10 on a phone or Kindle - yikes what a bloated mess.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

ramoss45 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:14 pm If 19.3 won't be till (Dec?) I'll go ahead and get things installed, especially since 17 support is about to end in the spring. I have the time now, but may not in the spring. Winter is my slow time for work.
Did you post that a few months late? :confused:

LM17 support ended 3 days ago by the way.
bennieset

Final stable version

Post by bennieset »

Recently I wrote to Stephen Ewen about this and he replied in part:

2016-10-08 17:07

"...A new version based on 16.04 will come out in December or January...

Stephen Ewen"

Return to “Non-technical Questions”