Alternative to logging in with a password?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
kramyugtaht
Level 1
Level 1

Alternative to logging in with a password?

Post by kramyugtaht » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:14 am

I hope this is the right forum and it's hard to know what to search for, but I'm wondering if there is any alternative to using a preset password to log in. Ideally I would like the process to not even be based on memory, so not even like the screenlock on phones where you draw a set pattern around the dots, but some kind of algorithm where it's different each time but you need to solve it with several steps. Multiple choice could work too if it can draw from a large database of questions and allow the possibility to configure for several questions, where it selects a few of those questions at random and require X number of questions to be correctly answered.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Alternative to logging in with a password?

Post by all41 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:16 am

All this just to login?
I don't get it---why?

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:01 am

How about a fingerprint reader?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:09 am

those fingerprint readers, are only now, just being adopted by Microsoft Windows,,
& where-as the Apple system is way ahead of this curve :o

as for any Linux System - - dream on, that won't be for a while, yet.
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:12 am

Pierre wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:09 am
those fingerprint readers, are only now, just being adopted by Microsoft Windows,,
Huh? My laptop has one, and it was easy enough to get working, but it's not secure enough for my liking so I removed the software.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

kramyugtaht
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kramyugtaht » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:30 pm

all41 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:16 am
All this just to login?
I don't get it---why?
It's really just a way to test myself on certain things, so I guess really it doesn't have to be login but could be some kind of quiz program automatically starting, which would make the question what are some applications for that.. Although I kind of like the idea of forcing myself to pass in order to even be able to login. :)

mattig89ch
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mattig89ch » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:32 pm

If I may...I was googling around, and I found this guide: https://mintguide.org/tools/257-fingerp ... -mint.html .

Though I do like your idea about having a couple different authentication factors to login. Make your system more secure that way.
Laptop Dell Latitude E6420
Mint 19.2 - Cinnamon
i7-2760QM Quad Core 2.40GHz Processor
8GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM
500GB Mushkin SSD

WHVW
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WHVW » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:45 pm

All:

Uh.. But why?

Don't we already have enough pain-in-the-ass obstacles in cyber-land already? What with passwords, those damnable "capchas", 4th grade level photo-matchers, what was the last letter in the name of your high-school best friend's first pet? etc, Please! I think we have enough.

The security system here is well balanced, providing an appropriate level of security without getting into unnecessarily complicated CIA level stuff.

The last thing I need is to have to play some silly little game before I can get to the information I need.

Je ne comprends pas!

later..

Return to “Non-technical Questions”