issue with Clem's donation "thank you" mails and Irish paypal-account

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
trefoil80
Level 1
Level 1

issue with Clem's donation "thank you" mails and Irish paypal-account

Post by trefoil80 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:42 am

Hi,

I just made my third donation for Linux Mint and received a "thank you-mail" from Clem (auto-generated).
The email contains a password that I would need if I would like to adjust my name in the donor list.

Just wondered about two things:
1) The mailserver that delivers this mail does not use SSL/TLS, even if it contains a password (ESMTP instead of ESMTPS)!

Received: from linuxmint.com (unknown [213.175.215.218])
by mx04.posteo.de (Postfix) with ESMTP id ...
for <xyz@posteo.de>; Mon, 4 Mar 2019 ..:..:.. +0100 (CET)

I think that there is "room for improvement" regarding this matter. A password should not be blasted in plain-text through the net. Never.

2) Can someone explain to me why the paypal-account receiving the Mint-donation is in Ireland? I mean, Ireland is not known to be the leader in privacy questions (hello Enda Kenny, hello Facebook)...

Thank you.

Best regards,
Trefoil

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Re: issue with Clem's donation "thank you" mails and Irish paypal-account

Post by smurphos » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:20 am

I can answer the second question. The legal entity Linux Mint Ltd is registered in the Republic of Ireland, hence the Irish PayPal account. I understand Clem lives there.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”