Convince step-dad?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
mrmajik45
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Convince step-dad?

Post by mrmajik45 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:16 pm

Is there a way to just copy over a Vbox Drive file? (Install it onto a vdk or something like that and copy it over.)
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:06 pm

yeah - there is way to copy the windows system into an VBox setup:
- but you do need an working windows system, first.
phd21 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:26 pm
If you have a USB stick 32gb or larger, or a USB drive with a 32gb or larger linux ext4 partition, then you can fully install Linux Mint onto that. You could then boot to that USB stick or USB drive without affecting his currently installed system at all.
that is still your best option - even on an 16Gb stick will work.
- - an 8Gb stick will work, as well, but that size is getting a bit small, though.
that is to install the Linux System onto that usb stick .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:37 pm

As it's evident the HDD was engaged in I/O (data being written) at the point of impact, at the very least I'd perform a thorough check to make sure there isn't any physical damage. If you find bad sectors (particularly pattern(s) of such) across the HDD it'll need to be replaced; likely the heads will have crashed or at least splattered data bytes across the platter as the heads were jolted out of alignment.

As it's been wiped of data anyway, it's worth doing a test install of Mint, assuming it is physically OK.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 4GB - Manjaro KDE, LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi "mrmajik45",
mrmajik45 wrote:How do I install Linux mint onto the USB drive? I mean I want the USB to act as a real OS. Not just an install USB. (I fear he may think Linux always reverts changes after restart) also yes I think I do put a bit too much into supporting it. I stayed up until 12 AM 2 days in a row.
1. Make a live test drive installation version of Linux Mint onto a USB Stick of 4gb or larger or to a DVD disc (download the Linux Mint iso file, use a DVD app (xfburn, k3b, brasero) for burning to a DVD disc or a USB stick app (Linux Mint image writer, etcher, unetbootin, etc...) for burning to a USB stick.

2. then, have another USB Stick or USB drive with a Linux ext4 partition of at least 16gb and 32gb or larger is preferred. Boot to the Live Linux Mint USB Stick or DVD disc and start the installation, during the installation, select the other USB Stick or USB drive's Linux ext4 partition as the destination (install to), follow the installation prompts, when finished remove the bootable installation USB Stick or DVD disc, and boot to the new fully installed USB stick or USB drive.

How to fully Install Linux Mint to USB Stick - YouTube
- I am not a professional video producer and I am using ancient under-powered computer hardware. This video was created to try and help people install Linux Mint to a USB stick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_INn5_mXAI&t=7s

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:10 am

mrmajik45 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:32 am
My step-dad accidentally bumped his laptop and it fell.
I don't see where anyone suggested that if the machine was running when it fell there is a chance it may have trashed the drive.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:43 am

HaveaMint wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:10 am
mrmajik45 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:32 am
My step-dad accidentally bumped his laptop and it fell.
I don't see where anyone suggested that if the machine was running when it fell there is a chance it may have trashed the drive.
me on page wrote: The fact that you managed to get Hiren's PE working suggests that the only hardware that may be damaged was the HDD, Do him a favour and replace it with a SSD and, while it's apart, check that no RAM has been knocked out of it's slot (unlikely, but, after a drop, you never know).
:D
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:46 am

HaveaMint wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:10 am
Also here:
BG405 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:37 pm
As it's evident the HDD was engaged in I/O (data being written) at the point of impact, at the very least I'd perform a thorough check to make sure there isn't any physical damage. If you find bad sectors (particularly pattern(s) of such) across the HDD it'll need to be replaced; likely the heads will have crashed or at least splattered data bytes across the platter as the heads were jolted out of alignment.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Non-technical Questions”