[SOLVED] Security and privacy

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
NewbyePlzHalp
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Security and privacy

Post by NewbyePlzHalp » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:21 pm

The main reason i switched to Linux was my concern with privacy and security, I was wondering (since i dont read terms and conditions or really any documentation of anything) is there like a "improvement program" or anything like that on Mint where my data is collected anonymously ? As of security i am not so afraid of viruses or hackers . I just started to become a little more conscious about how i am being tracked and my data collected everywhere i go on the internet. This forum has been a great help for me in the past few days so i guess the best place to ask would be here. I am starting to really like this focus on community linux distros have.
Last edited by NewbyePlzHalp on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Security and privacy

Post by gm10 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:30 pm

The Linux Mint distribution as such is not tracking you, but individual applications certainly will (e.g. the pre-installed Firefox browser - just like most browsers - collects anonymous usage data). Also you will appear in server log files of Ubuntu.

NewbyePlzHalp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NewbyePlzHalp » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:55 pm

gm10 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:30 pm
The Linux Mint distribution as such is not tracking you, but individual applications certainly will (e.g. the pre-installed Firefox browser - just like most browsers - collects anonymous usage data). Also you will appear in server log files of Ubuntu.

I am well aware about apps tracking me but what does " appear in server log files of Ubuntu" mean exactly ? Thanks for taking the time to respond!

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:00 pm

Just your system connecting to their servers to get the latest updates, to synchronize the time and also NetworkManager checking whether you've got Internet connectivity at all. Nothing gets transmitted other than your system connecting to those servers, but I would expect Ubuntu to analyze those connections to know how many users are actively using each release, that's all.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”