Software Source Package Update Release Schedule ???

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
ecombe
Level 1
Level 1

Software Source Package Update Release Schedule ???

Post by ecombe » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:11 pm

Hello all,

I've searched the forum for a few key phrases, but perhaps not the correct combination to find more information on the subject.

Hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for information that would indicate a schedule of when updated software is expected to be incorporated into the long term stable release software source for Tessa. I suspect that there may be teams of individuals that validate software package releases prior to incorporating into the LTS software source, based on the category in which the software package resides.

I'm currently using LinuxMint 19.1, 64-bit with the mintinstall 7.9.7 Software Manager.

More specifically, I was interested in finding the update release schedule into the LTS software source for the software package KMyMoney. The current source has version 5.0.1-2, which I have installed and am currently using. The latest release of KMyMoney for Linux, from the KDE group, is 5.0.3 (released in January of this year). There's a specific bug that was indicated as being fixed in the 5.0.2 version of the software.

I realize that I can go down the route of installing from the source code, but I'd like to keep the base software libraries compliant with the LTS for this distribution. Hence, the search for an estimated timeline of when the software updates might be incorporated into the software source.

Thanks in advance.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Software Source Package Update Release Schedule ???

Post by gm10 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:44 pm

Probably never. The kmymoney package comes from the universe pocket of Ubuntu's repositories, which is the so-called community-maintained category, i.e. those packages are not maintained by Canonical. The package comes from Debian.

The package has been updated for Ubuntu 19.04, you could download the package from here: https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/kmymoney and you'll also need this updated library: https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/libgpgmepp6. Take a Timeshift snapshot first since the library is being used by a number of other applications as well. I wouldn't expect issues but you never know.

Otherwise see if you can compile from source using the LTS library version, which will probably work just as well.

ecombe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ecombe » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:01 pm

gm10,

Thank you. Your reply was very helpful and enlightening.

I’ll give one of your suggestions a try.

Netherprovinc3
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Netherprovinc3 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:25 pm

gm10 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:44 pm
Probably never. The kmymoney package comes from the universe pocket of Ubuntu's repositories, which is the so-called community-maintained category, i.e. those packages are not maintained by Canonical. The package comes from Debian.
Do you think that the new version of kmymoney will be in the repository for the next Linux Mint LTS?
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:31 pm

Netherprovinc3 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:25 pm
gm10 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:44 pm
Do you think that the new version of kmymoney will be in the repository for the next Linux Mint LTS?
Oh, that will most definitely be the case, but I cannot tell you yet which version it will be other than that it will be at least version 5.0.5-1 but likely higher by the time LM 20 releases.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Return to “Non-technical Questions”