Is it better to have a single ISO with desktop selection?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Livy
Level 1
Level 1

Is it better to have a single ISO with desktop selection?

Post by Livy » Fri May 03, 2019 3:17 am

I have a habit of collecting all editions for later use, and find it difficult to download then check hash for all of them. Why do the development team not create an all-in-one ISO with all desktop environments and all architectures, which will can be selected at installation time? Microsoft has released multiple-edition ISO of Windows for years.

I am also a network administrator, and find it convenient to have all edition inside a single UFD, so that I can choose the appropriate one to install depending on the hardware.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Is it better to have a single ISO with desktop selection?

Post by Moem » Fri May 03, 2019 3:27 am

Livy wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:17 am
Why do the development team not create an all-in-one ISO with all desktop environments and all architectures, which will can be selected at installation time?
My guess would be: because it would be a lot bigger, and some people have a slow or metered internet connection. As it is, it's more accessible.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri May 03, 2019 4:25 am

Discussed just last month, I'll refer to my response there: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=291740

administrollaattori
Level 15
Level 15

Post by administrollaattori » Sat May 04, 2019 3:52 pm

Those Microsoft "multible" ISOs are controlled using ei.cfg file, but basically all versions are the same.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... and-pidtxt

Return to “Non-technical Questions”