GnuCobol 2.2

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
erickp
Level 1
Level 1

GnuCobol 2.2

Post by erickp » Thu May 16, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post but I guess I'll soon find out!

I'm just wondering why the main Mint repo is only have the option of installing Open-Cobol 1.1 and not GnuCobol 2.2 ? V1.1 was last released in 2009...

I can of course download and compile it myself manually but it would be nice to be able to simple "apt install" it.

Just a thought.

Thanks,

Erick P.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: GnuCobol 2.2

Post by xenopeek » Thu May 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Linux Mint 19.x use Ubuntu LTS 18.04 as a package base. For whatever reason GnuCOBOL is only found in the software repositories for Ubuntu development release 18.10 (cosmic) and newer: https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic/gnucobol. So we can likely expect it to be in Linux Mint 20 mid next year (to be based on Ubuntu LTS 20.04).

For now it looks like you'll need to compile it yourself.

There is a PPA which has GnuCOBOL 2.2 that you could add to your system to install it: https://launchpad.net/~lud-janvier/+arc ... u/gnucobol. Mind the notice though "This ppa is NOT maintained by a member of the gnucobol project". So proceed only if you trust the PPA.

erickp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by erickp » Thu May 16, 2019 6:35 pm

Excellent. Thanks xenopeek!

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Mon May 20, 2019 9:46 am

The Cobol language is so old that I don't think I'd worry too much about whether I had the newest version or not.

murray
Level 4
Level 4

Post by murray » Mon May 20, 2019 4:57 pm

Ah COBOL, I have such fond memories of programming with it back in the 80's.

Code: Select all

ADD Total-1 Total-2 GIVING Grand-Total.
So easy to read! :)
Running Mint 19.2 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser » Mon May 20, 2019 5:59 pm

The FOR loop was like:

Code: Select all

PERFORM MY-ROUTINE VARYING MY-COUNTER FROM... (Can't remember the rest anymore)
:)
Never practiced in real world. I only did it while in a tech school and had to write the program on paper (coding sheet) instead of directly using a computer. :lol:
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

murray
Level 4
Level 4

Post by murray » Mon May 20, 2019 6:56 pm

mediclaser wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 5:59 pm
Never practiced in real world. I only did it while in a tech school and had to write the program on paper (coding sheet) instead of directly using a computer. :lol:
COBOL was the first programming language I learned at tech (I had already taught myself BASIC and machine code on my home computer). We used to fill in coding sheets and hand them in to be typed in for us. This was on a Data General mini computer. Then we learned BASIC, PL/1 and a taste of RPG. In the second year we moved to a DEC PDP-11 and learnt the DEC version of BASIC and assembler.

When I left tech and got my first job I was programming in COBOL on Prime mini computers, then moved to a system called Prime Information (it was a Pick-like environment) programming in Info-BASIC.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Thu May 23, 2019 3:15 am

You might enjoy this ad for COBOL for the 8051. Notice that the date is April 1.
cobolad.jpg
cobolad.jpg (98.3 KiB) Viewed 464 times

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

murray
Level 4
Level 4

Post by murray » Sun May 26, 2019 8:00 pm

jimallyn wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:15 am
You might enjoy this ad for COBOL for the 8051. Notice that the date is April 1.
Ha ha, a great April Fools joke!

I don't have any experience with embedded systems (it's something I always wanted to try), but even I would look sideways at someone who suggested using COBOL for an embedded system project. :)

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Wed May 29, 2019 1:28 am

murray wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:00 pm
I don't have any experience with embedded systems
And I have no experience with Cobol. But I know enough to know that it's not the language I'd want to write interrupt handlers in!

If you're interested in embedded systems and such, get yourself an Arduino. It's a fun way to learn some C/C++, learn to work with hardware such as UARTs, analog to digital convertors, timers, and more, control external devices, and so on. I just got one of these:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/68

The starter pack is 44.95 USD, and includes the processor board, a couple of power supplies, some LEDs, resistors, switches and such, a plug-in breadboard, a bunch of jumper wires, and more. If you just want the board without all the other stuff, they're 17.50 USD, and they have a couple of stripped down versions starting at 9.95 USD.

And there are LOTS of tutorials, code libraries, examples, and more available on the web! I've got a couple of projects planned for my Arduinos.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

murray
Level 4
Level 4

Post by murray » Wed May 29, 2019 11:50 pm

jimallyn wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:28 am
If you're interested in embedded systems and such, get yourself an Arduino. It's a fun way to learn some C/C++, learn to work with hardware such as UARTs, analog to digital convertors, timers, and more, control external devices, and so on.
Sweet! I've got a couple of Raspberry Pi's, one I use as a media centre running Kodi and the other just sitting in a draw doing nothing (I upgraded from the first to the second). I picked up a book called Raspberry Pi Projects for Dummies, the local library was selling it for $0.50 so I couldn't pass it up. I haven't actually done anything yet, but with winter coming along down here in New Zealand it might be the ideal time to do some tinkering. My Python is a bit rusty, I've only done a couple of free online courses just to get an idea for the language, but it's all good fun! :D

Return to “Non-technical Questions”