Why so few webrowsers? Any other recommended repos?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Why so few webrowsers? Any other recommended repos?

Post by Schultz » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:43 pm

Thanks for the info Pjotr.
Pjotr wrote:
The Palemoon repo is not an official repo.
Not an official Mint repo, but Steve's repo is an approved third-party build of Pale Moon.
Reference: http://linux.palemoon.org/
FTR, I don't use Steve's repo, I download Pale Moon for Linux directly off of Pale Moon's site.

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:11 pm

Thanks to this thread I just added Vivaldi and Google Chrome to my Linux Mint Xfce 19.1 system. Thanks guys for reminding me of the other fine web browsers that I can add to my system relatively easily.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:49 am

Lord Boltar wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:45 pm
Only open source browsers are in the software manager - if it is not open source you such as Goggle Chrome, Opera, Waterfox, Slimjet and some others you will have to go to there respective websites and add it via PPA or download the deb file if they offer it.

hope this helps
I don't think so. Firefox has the non-free or closed-source/proprietary DRM/EME Widewine software included and Firefox has been trademarked by Mozilla Corp into proprietary freeware = a free/libre open-source software that has been converted into non-free/proprietary freeware. For all intents and purposes, Firefox is the same as Chrome. Google Chrome is also a proprietary freeware derived from the open-source Chromium Project. Similarly for the new M$ Chromium-based Edge or Edgemium which may become even more popular than Google Chrome.

AFAIK, the major Linux distros, eg Debian/Ubuntu, Archlinux and Fedora, have their own preferred preinstalled programs/apps/browser in the ISO file and approved/certified repositories in their servers. Most are free/libre open-source software but some may be non-free/closed-source/proprietary freeware. Even the Linux kernel contains non-free/closed-source/proprietary freeware(eg drivers and firmware), mostly from hardware OEMs like Intel, AMD, ARM, Nvidia, Broadcom, etc.
....... So, the available web-browsers in a Linux distro, ie one preinstalled on the ISO file and a few installable from the repositories on her servers, are usually limited because of preference. To include every browser and office suite in the repository on her servers would be unnecessary bloat and more costly. The major Linux distros preinstalls Firefox. Other minor Linux distros may preinstall Chromium or Palemoon.

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu = LM uses most of Ubuntu's preinstalled programs/apps and approved/certified repositories and has also added her own repositories, eg for her own X-apps.
....... Browsers installed via PPAs or deb. or tar.gz files are from repos that have not been approved/certified by the Linux distro, eg may contain bugs, adware, malware, etc.

Ubuntu and Linux Mint have also been trademarked into proprietary freeware that cannot be freely redistributed(= except by approval from the trademark owner) = are presently freeware or licensed out to users for free. The trademarked Zorin OS Ultimate is not freeware = costs Euro$19 to download; Crossover for Linux costs US$29.95; the trademarked RHEL is subscription-based, etc.

In effect, all free/libre open-source Linux software can be converted into trademarked proprietary freeware or proprietary non-freeware at the drop of a hat, especially the popular ones. Of course, all free/libre open-source Linux software can also be forked by using a non-trademarked name or another trademarked name.
....... Eg Ubuntu, Android, Firefox and Chromium can be forked by others. Debian was forked into Ubuntu, SteamOS and Anti-X; Ubuntu was in turn forked into Linux Mint, Zorin OS, Peppermint OS and Linux Lite; LM was forked into Feren OS, and so on = fragmentation.

itsme4401
Level 3
Level 3

Post by itsme4401 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:58 am

Why so few webbrowsers? Because "supposed to be better" is the arch enemy of "being good"!

ZakGordon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ZakGordon » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:42 am

Since discovering Mint 17.1 a few years ago i've used these browsers:

Firefox, Chromium, Palemoon, Slimjet.

Firefox and Chromium came either with the Linux Mint install or from the Download Manager.

Palemoon and Slimjet came from their respected websites and required a certain amount of voodoo (running .deb files etc) to ge working fine, and updating them also can be a pain.

Now using 18.3 and i pretty much just use Firefox and Chromium, as they work right of the bat and updating is painless. More choice would be nice, but if too many hoops are required to jump through i'd prefer to stick with the two that work well and are easy to maintain and update.
Laptop overheating issues? Check links below:
TLP
itsfoss guide
If none of the above fixes the issue, moving from Cinnamon to XFCE will give around -5 to -10 degrees C improvements.

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:43 pm

ZakGordon wrote:
Palemoon and Slimjet came from their respected websites and required a certain amount of voodoo (running .deb files etc) to ge working fine, and updating them also can be a pain.
I run Pale Moon. It's not hard to get working fine, no "voodoo" necessary. Also no problem updating.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”