Approximately how many are we ?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gm10

Re: Approximately how many are we ?

Post by gm10 »

Oh I know all of that, of course. I was a bit disappointed to see the lack of reports on the alpha github, shows how many just wanted a sneak peek rather than really help out with the testing. Obviously it doesn't concern me directly anymore since Clem kicked me out but I remain interested on principle, plus I've enjoyed the user feedback I've received from my PPA venture. When you're developing you're always sort of in a bubble, the value of getting that extra set of eyes on it from the user base cannot be underestimated.

For a bit of mostly OT but related to Mint alpha and you: I've ended up replacing caja with the latest nemo build in my MATE environment by the way. I still prefer how caja does some things but the technical advantage of nemo over caja overall has just become too big to ignore (and my caja is git master, too). So great job on that! :)
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

For a bit of mostly OT but related to Mint alpha and you: I've ended up replacing caja with the latest nemo build in my MATE environment by the way. I still prefer how caja does some things but the technical advantage of nemo over caja overall has just become too big to ignore (and my caja is git master, too). So great job on that!
Cool. mtwebster really has done some nice work with Nemo. It doesn't support some of the extra things that caja does and probably never will but it really is my favorite gtk file manager. I know some others distros like PeppermintOS are even using for things like their XFCE implementation. And I believe Ubuntu Budgie has chosen to use it over Nautilus.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

JosephM wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:34 pm Haha. Maybe that number of 10 users is looking more and more realistic all the time ;)
+1 from me, and I'll be introducing a couple more users this week on the system.
That is an extra 30%. I feel proud to be at the forefront of such a great movement.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Depending on browser, the Internet sees Mint as Unix or Ubuntu ... so the answer is 0 or >1
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Does a cat laying on the keyboard count as a user?
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

HaveaMint wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:45 pm Does a cat laying on the keyboard count as a user?
Yes if it is logged in.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

HaveaMint wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:45 pm Does a cat laying on the keyboard count as a user?
Actual numbers of Linux Mint users seem to amount to half a million users according to several forummembers? Right?

I had read, SOMEWHERE, that the actual GENERAL
Linux OS market share was about, 3 to 5 procent of the total market.

Linux is small on the DESKTOP.

BUT it is BIG anywhere else.

Linux dominates the internet.
Linux dominates the smartphone market.
Linux dominates the SUPER COMPUTERS

BUT Linux Mint is still a NICHE.

BUT niches are GREAT!

Yes, in general, LINUX RULES , because it is the BEST OS!

P.S : sorry for the CAPITAL post, but I love Linux Mint and I DONT mind that it is small. SMALL IS BEAUTIFUL.
pinnerite
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pinnerite »

I have been having minor issues with Mint 20. Nothing serious.

I was curious as to how my previous regular distro might have changed since 2 years ago.
I never found out . I installed Mageia 7.1 no less than four times but could not log in.

I posted the steps taken etc. No response.
I gave up.

Today I installed Fedora Cinnamon 32 (its 64-bit. Confusing?)
I could get into it but had four basic problems.

The reply was to recommend a 29 page setup to be conducted from the command line.
It was a succession of screen shots, two per page interspersed wit advertising!

Yes it was Cinnamon but where Mint is described as user-friendly, Fedora by comparison is user hostile.
Do not complain. Mint is really lovely to use.
Vladimir00

Post by Vladimir00 »

I am sure that the number of Linux Mint users exceeds one hundred thousand. (Given the fact that only on this forum there are many active users. And this is probably only a very small part of users Mint .)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I can confirm there's at least one Linux Mint user in my city. Therefore, there's at least one LM user in Florida. :lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

just for some Fun Statistics .. look at the Forum's Main Board Index
( click on Board Index, at the Top of any Page )
then notice the given Statistics: Who is online right now,, that is . .at the Bottom of that page.
:arrow:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Portreve wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:14 pm I can confirm there's at least one Linux Mint user in my city. Therefore, there's at least one LM user in Florida. :lol:
Hey, I live in Florida also. With a son that uses Mint, that confirms 3!
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
DarrenG
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DarrenG »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:43 am There's at least one user of Mint that I know of. Given that I have at least 5 computers, all running mint, I can confirm 5 users. ;)
Yeah, but in my home there are 4 users sharing one computer, so that probably balances it out a bit
“People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.”
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Two Mint users in this room, two new installations this week went out the door, one installation the week before. All our Shed users use Mint at the Shed and a dozen(?) use it at home.
DarrenG, are you in the North Island? If so that's another country with someone. If it is counted as NZ (joke for those who missed it), then we'll take, count in, the West Island users too as NZ users.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

3 - LMDE4, my Wife and my Son have been infected with it now too. My Daughter has immunity so may hold the cure :lol:

I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

--10 million...1 million, 100k, or one day even 500 million. It's all good to me. I'm stoked just to be a part of the Linux world now with Windows behind me in the rear view mirror months ago; never happier. The feeling of getting one's PC back is priceless to me. It's not about quantity...it's about quality.

The Mint teams have been making consistent and great improvements to their distro for years now and it shows. Every year or every other year it gets more and more polished while retaining the most consistently good things about it that keep making it imo THE number one choice for other OS world users to consider transitioning to.

I'm willing to bet, though, if the Mint team could resolve the following minor things/bugs, it would be like turning the faucet's flow from 20% to around 30% in a reasonable short amount of time:

1. Cinnamon's installation wizard - at the very end of xfce's, it give the black screen message " remove any installation media and then press enter to restart". This SHOULD be at the end of Mint Cinnamon's. It allows the user proper flowing communication about when to remove the installation drive so the user isn't just guessing of when his or her PC is shut down just enough to remove it at the right time during the auto-restart process so he or she isn't accidentally stuck in a re-install loop. This is really the only real problem imo about the Mint cinnamon installation process. And it is important to me. It's the first impression of trying out any new operating system. Fix this, and it's golden man. Legit.

Otherwise, I've been telling mint cinnamon noobs to choose " continue testing" when they reach that part, and then select the cinnamon menu, power/light switch button to shut down the PC, then have all the time they need to remove the install drive, power it back up and if needs be get back into either bios/uefi to select the newly installed mint 20 drive as the 1st boot device.

2. Panel editing- If the cinnamon panel is set to autohide and you remove or most commonly..ADD and/or possibly even edit an item, it stretches that part of the panel's icons in an odd way. One must change that to " always show" and then toggle the appropriate zone's colored icon size from one thing and then back again to fix it.

That's about all i can think of... Yes I've already posted these two things in the mint feedback place here https://github.com/linuxmint/mintinstall/issues

Cheers everybody --
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I'm sure there's a lot more of us now...than when this Thread was started. Image
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Drygar_2016 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:35 pm
Approximately how many are we ?

We are approximately this many:

Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
ddog241

Post by ddog241 »

between 1 and 100,000,000 users.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

RollyShed wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:17 pm Two Mint users in this room, two new installations this week went out the door, one installation the week before. All our Shed users use Mint at the Shed and a dozen(?) use it at home.
DarrenG, are you in the North Island? If so that's another country with someone. If it is counted as NZ (joke for those who missed it), then we'll take, count in, the West Island users too as NZ users.
Waddaya mean "west Island"? You lot are just a suburb of Sydney, so you don't count!!!! :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”