Approximately how many are we ?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Approximately how many are we ?

Post by gm10 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:17 pm

Oh I know all of that, of course. I was a bit disappointed to see the lack of reports on the alpha github, shows how many just wanted a sneak peek rather than really help out with the testing. Obviously it doesn't concern me directly anymore since Clem kicked me out but I remain interested on principle, plus I've enjoyed the user feedback I've received from my PPA venture. When you're developing you're always sort of in a bubble, the value of getting that extra set of eyes on it from the user base cannot be underestimated.

For a bit of mostly OT but related to Mint alpha and you: I've ended up replacing caja with the latest nemo build in my MATE environment by the way. I still prefer how caja does some things but the technical advantage of nemo over caja overall has just become too big to ignore (and my caja is git master, too). So great job on that! :)
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:30 pm

For a bit of mostly OT but related to Mint alpha and you: I've ended up replacing caja with the latest nemo build in my MATE environment by the way. I still prefer how caja does some things but the technical advantage of nemo over caja overall has just become too big to ignore (and my caja is git master, too). So great job on that!
Cool. mtwebster really has done some nice work with Nemo. It doesn't support some of the extra things that caja does and probably never will but it really is my favorite gtk file manager. I know some others distros like PeppermintOS are even using for things like their XFCE implementation. And I believe Ubuntu Budgie has chosen to use it over Nautilus.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

gittiest personITW
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gittiest personITW » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:18 pm

JosephM wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:34 pm
Haha. Maybe that number of 10 users is looking more and more realistic all the time ;)
+1 from me, and I'll be introducing a couple more users this week on the system.
That is an extra 30%. I feel proud to be at the forefront of such a great movement.

administrollaattori
Level 15
Level 15

Post by administrollaattori » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:24 pm

Depending on browser, the Internet sees Mint as Unix or Ubuntu ... so the answer is 0 or >1

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:45 pm

Does a cat laying on the keyboard count as a user?
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

administrollaattori
Level 15
Level 15

Post by administrollaattori » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:33 am

HaveaMint wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:45 pm
Yes if it is logged in.

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:00 am

HaveaMint wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:45 pm
Actual numbers of Linux Mint users seem to amount to half a million users according to several forummembers? Right?

I had read, SOMEWHERE, that the actual GENERAL
Linux OS market share was about, 3 to 5 procent of the total market.

Linux is small on the DESKTOP.

BUT it is BIG anywhere else.

Linux dominates the internet.
Linux dominates the smartphone market.
Linux dominates the SUPER COMPUTERS

BUT Linux Mint is still a NICHE.

BUT niches are GREAT!

Yes, in general, LINUX RULES , because it is the BEST OS!

P.S : sorry for the CAPITAL post, but I love Linux Mint and I DONT mind that it is small. SMALL IS BEAUTIFUL.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”